DJI Fly App - LG V20
12Next >
6253 46 2019-12-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AmericaWestCMH
lvl.1

United States

Anyone successfully using an LG V20 (Oreo update) with the DJI Fly App/Mavic Mini?  It's on the compatible list but not working for me.

Can't seem to get it synced with the controller.   Any tips?  I'm in developer mode.  USB to 'Photo' setting.  

2019-12-18
Use props
Minnesota
lvl.4
United States

I bought an Open Box V20 for $115, and it seemed like a great low-cost option.  Android 8.  It downloaded the latest DJI Fly App with no problem and it did bind with the MM so I thought all was well, but then I got a mssg that it was not connecting to the RC.  I tried everything.  I even forced the USB port into MTP mode.  I did test that MTP and the cable worked with a PC, so both the connector and the cable were good.  I also tried all the other USB modes.  The App would just BEEP telling me it could not connect to the RC no matter what.  I tried recycling both the RC and the V20 in various combinations but nothing worked.  The phone, RC, and MM were all fully charged.

Oddly, all of a sudden the phone went mostly dark, with just some light in the upper corner, so I RESET the phone and sent it back.  I also ordered another one, so hopefully that one will work as it is on DJI's list.  
2019-12-19
Use props
AmericaWestCMH
lvl.1

United States

Minnesota Posted at 12-19 01:25
I bought an Open Box V20 for $115, and it seemed like a great low-cost option.  Android 8.  It downloaded the latest DJI Fly App with no problem and it did bind with the MM so I thought all was well, but then I got a mssg that it was not connecting to the RC.  I tried everything.  I even forced the USB port into MTP mode.  I did test that MTP and the cable worked with a PC, so both the connector and the cable were good.  I also tried all the other USB modes.  The App would just BEEP telling me it could not connect to the RC no matter what.  I tried recycling both the RC and the V20 in various combinations but nothing worked.  The phone, RC, and MM were all fully charged.

Oddly, all of a sudden the phone went mostly dark, with just some light in the upper corner, so I RESET the phone and sent it back.  I also ordered another one, so hopefully that one will work as it is on DJI's list.

Well, I'm in the same boat as you but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the V20 to work.  It's my first DJI drone and I'm already p*ssed off.  
2019-12-19
Use props
Minnesota
lvl.4
United States

AmericaWestCMH Posted at 12-19 10:32
Well, I'm in the same boat as you but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the V20 to work.  It's my first DJI drone and I'm already p*ssed off.

My replacement V20 should be here Monday.  If it has the same problem connecting then I too will not be very happy.  That said, I've only heard of one other phone that is on the DJI list that is not working, but that came after an Android update, so I'm not pointing fingers at DJI just yet.

I'm in no hurry to fly the MM as it is well below 32F for the next few months here in MN.
2019-12-19
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. Thank you for reaching out to DJI Forum. I am sorry for the trouble, this is not the experience I wanted you to have with your new DJI Mavic Mini. With regards to the LG V20, have you completed all the updates for the said mobile device? I would recommend to please try a different data cable to isolate the issue. Please keep us posted for further assistance. Thank you.
2019-12-20
Use props
AmericaWestCMH
lvl.1

United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 12-20 15:01
Hi. Thank you for reaching out to DJI Forum. I am sorry for the trouble, this is not the experience I wanted you to have with your new DJI Mavic Mini. With regards to the LG V20, have you completed all the updates for the said mobile device? I would recommend to please try a different data cable to isolate the issue. Please keep us posted for further assistance. Thank you.

I think it's Android 8.0 Oreo that's causing the problem from what I'm reading.  Is DJI saying the V20 should work with 8.0?
2019-12-20
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

AmericaWestCMH Posted at 12-20 19:38
I think it's Android 8.0 Oreo that's causing the problem from what I'm reading.  Is DJI saying the V20 should work with 8.0?

Yes. It is on the compatibility list

2019-12-20
Use props
AmericaWestCMH
lvl.1

United States

Yeah, I get that.  But I'm certainly not the only one having an issue with 8.0.  The V20 appears to have worked for other people on Nougat.  I can't get mine to connect to the Mavic controller on Oreo.
2019-12-20
Use props
Minnesota
lvl.4
United States

AmericaWestCMH Posted at 12-20 19:54
Yeah, I get that.  But I'm certainly not the only one having an issue with 8.0.  The V20 appears to have worked for other people on Nougat.  I can't get mine to connect to the Mavic controller on Oreo.

Have you updated to H?
https://www.lg.com/us/support/he ... 0027-20150261717551
2019-12-21
Use props
AmericaWestCMH
lvl.1

United States

I'm on H, yes
2019-12-21
Use props
Minnesota
lvl.4
United States

Just got my replacement V20.  Turns out it works perfectly.  It's using Android 7.0.   You might be interested in this too.  

2019-12-23
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

Minnesota Posted at 12-23 07:32
Just got my replacement V20.  Turns out it works perfectly.  It's using Android 7.0.   You might be interested in this too.  

That is interesting. As a test, I just used the compass app on my iPhone XR and one on my work phone, a Samsung Galaxy S9 as well. I made sure they were showing the same and accurate readings by using a Recta type V-II swiss compass made for Victorinox field compass. Both phones were accurate based off the field compass. I then used a magnet recovered from an old hard drive (pretty stout magnet too) to run around the edges and the back side of the phone, and also the front for kicks and giggles. I noted on that samsung at the bottom left corner, there was 1 degree of change that I noted. At no other point was any change noted on either phone. I don't have my mini with me to test against that like in the video, but from that test, either the phones being used have a lower quality compass or poor insulating properties or the interference is not magnetic, at least in my testing with the equipment that I have anyway.
2019-12-23
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

AmericaWestCMH Posted at 12-20 19:38

Hi. I am sorry for the trouble and thank you for the additional insights. With regards to this matter. I have forwarded this thread/concern to our designated DJI department for further attention. Again, I am sorry for the trouble and thank you for your understanding.
2019-12-23
Use props
AmericaWestCMH
lvl.1

United States

Minnesota Posted at 12-23 07:32

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMWNp3xMGV8

Very interesting, so it's definitely an Android 8.0 problem them.  Rolling back to 7.0 is a process that is way over my head, though.  Bummer, hopefully DJI figures this one out.  
2019-12-23
Use props
AmericaWestCMH
lvl.1

United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 12-23 08:25
Hi. I am sorry for the trouble and thank you for the additional insights. With regards to this matter. I have forwarded this thread/concern to our designated DJI department for further attention. Again, I am sorry for the trouble and thank you for your understanding.

Why doesn't DJI just enable the Mavic Mini on the DJI GO app that doesn't have all of these issues?  I'm guessing it would be a simple update and there wouldn't be so many problems.
2019-12-23
Use props
rumakski
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3271 ft
United Kingdom

try this download both dji go and dji go 4 apps intall them with the dji fly app of corse.allow the fly app only to launch on connection of controller. worked for me,not sure why but I can connect every time now.
2019-12-24
Use props
Minnesota
lvl.4
United States

Try this.  
2019-12-25
Use props
AmericaWestCMH
lvl.1

United States

Minnesota Posted at 12-25 06:00
Try this.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0lGqXUnXCc

Shouldn't have to jump through hoops to get this to work.  DJI needs to get their crap together and fix the compatibility issues.
2019-12-25
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

Hi. I am sorry for the long wait. I have sent a PM. Please check if you have time. Thank you.
2019-12-27
Use props
djiuser_cGKqrMZnzeSz
New

United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 12-27 08:09
Hi. I am sorry for the long wait. I have sent a PM. Please check if you have time. Thank you.

Hi could u say when DJI plan to update the fly app so it doesn't crash when I try to open it on my Samsung s10e running Android 10?
2019-12-27
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

djiuser_cGKqrMZnzeSz Posted at 12-27 13:01
Hi could u say when DJI plan to update the fly app so it doesn't crash when I try to open it on my Samsung s10e running Android 10?

Hi. Thank you for your inquiry. With regards to your query for the time frame. We don't have the exact  information on the availability of the said matter. However, rest assured that our DJI R&D team are working on the said issue and once they are done and tested the new update. The DJI Fly will receive an update. In addition, I will you send a notification as well to keep you updated. Thank you.
2019-12-27
Use props
R/C Pilot
lvl.1
United States

For your information:

12-15-2019 I made sure to check the list of compatible phones before purchasing the fly more pack and noted the LG-V20 was on the list.  I did not currently own the V20 but have been a LG customer for years and finding the V20 was compatible, I ran out to purchase one right after the purchase of the Mavic Mini fly more kit. Well sorry to say, I've been fighting the same LG-V20 connection issues for more than 2 weeks as others here.  I have read many posts about how to "get around" the connecting issues by specific power procedures and tried them all. Out of 25 attempts, I may get lucky once in establishing a link between the App and the RC system. Moderators here say be patient as a fix is in the works with an update soon so I waited. Now I that an update has been released mentioning a connection fix, I find the only way to update the firmware is by first establishing a link between the phone and the RC system before the update will be installed. WELL... what was the problem in the first place...oh yeah, can't establish a link to the RC system through the phone!!! DOES THIS MAKE ANY SENSE? How are people with the connection problem supposed to update to the latest firmware with the software fix if we can't connect in the first place??

SO yes, I've tried 20-25 times with no luck. I have the latest version of DJI Fly-1.0.4 installed in the V20, have Android version 8.0.0-software version H9182h. I have tried every combination of power up procedure you could dream up. I have restarted the phone, the app, the drone, the controller. Fully charged the phone, the controller and the drone, selected every option from charging to MIDI support to the phones usb port, wiped and reinstalled the Fly app and nothing.

Why does the drone have to be updated through the controller via Wifi only especially with connection issues, this is just past me. For such an instance you should write an executable updater to flash software using the onboard micro sd slot avoiding the need to connect via the problem phones/software. The software developers for DJI must be having a good laugh at our expense. Many people have purchased your system for hundreds of dollars only to find they cant even fly this drone.

Funny thing is I actually fly R/C planes and helis and have learned to expect occasional issues but after dealing with these issues for over 2 weeks with no satisfaction, I'M Done with DJI.
2020-1-2
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

R/C Pilot Posted at 1-2 16:07
For your information:

12-15-2019 I made sure to check the list of compatible phones before purchasing the fly more pack and noted the LG-V20 was on the list.  I did not currently own the V20 but have been a LG customer for years and finding the V20 was compatible, I ran out to purchase one right after the purchase of the Mavic Mini fly more kit. Well sorry to say, I've been fighting the same LG-V20 connection issues for more than 2 weeks as others here.  I have read many posts about how to "get around" the connecting issues by specific power procedures and tried them all. Out of 25 attempts, I may get lucky once in establishing a link between the App and the RC system. Moderators here say be patient as a fix is in the works with an update soon so I waited. Now I that an update has been released mentioning a connection fix, I find the only way to update the firmware is by first establishing a link between the phone and the RC system before the update will be installed. WELL... what was the problem in the first place...oh yeah, can't establish a link to the RC system through the phone!!! DOES THIS MAKE ANY SENSE? How are people with the connection problem supposed to update to the latest firmware with the software fix if we can't connect in the first place??

Have you tried upgrading the Remote Controller and Aircraft using Dji Assistant 2 program on the PC

On this page scroll down at the bottom to get the download file for DJI Assistant 2

https://www.dji.com/au/downloads/products/mavic-mini

• The remote controller and the aircraft need to be updated separately
  • Make sure you have a full battery before starting the process
  • And remember, to connect the RC and AC to the PC they need to be turned on.

Follow this process, the DJI Assistant Upgrade process starts at :1.00

2020-1-2
Use props
AmericaWestCMH
lvl.1

United States

lannes Posted at 1-2 18:36
Have you tried upgrading the Remote Controller and Aircraft using Dji Assistant 2 program on the PC

On this page scroll down at the bottom to get the download file for DJI Assistant 2

Has nothing to do with that and everything to do with the DJI Fly app.  The V20 works with Android 7.0 but all of us running 8.0 have the same exact problem.  

2020-1-2
Use props
lannes
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

AmericaWestCMH Posted at 1-2 20:22
Has nothing to do with that and everything to do with the DJI Fly app.  The V20 works with Android 7.0 but all of us running 8.0 have the same exact problem.

R/C pilot wanted to update the firmware on their drone but was not able to do so using the phone because of the LGV20 issues with DJI Fly, so a direct connection through  DJI Assistant 2 is a possible way to do this.
2020-1-2
Use props
R/C Pilot
lvl.1
United States

lannes,

During the updating of the Mavic mini with the Dji Assistant 2 program I had several failed update errors. After the 3rd run through, the Mavic finally took and completed the update. I proceed to do the same with the  controller so now both have the latest firmware installed.

Unfortunately, even with the latest firmware installed in both the Mavic mini and the controller, the Fly app on the LG V20 still will not connect and give me live video feed from the Mavic camera. I attempted this at least 15 times with no luck. Something to mention is after power up of the controller and opening the Fly app, the LG V20 asks to select from one of the following USB connection options: Charging, Power supply, File transfer, Photo transfer or MIDI device. These are what I noted earlier and have attempted each type of connection again with no luck. I borrowed a friends phone, another LG V20, loaded the Fly app and had the same results-no app connection to the R/C system and no video. Obviously as AmericaWestCMH mentioned above, the problem lies with something in the Android 8 update and the LG V20.
2020-1-2
Use props
lannes
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

R/C Pilot Posted at 1-2 23:17
lannes,

During the updating of the Mavic mini with the Dji Assistant 2 program I had several failed update errors. After the 3rd run through, the Mavic finally took and completed the update. I proceed to do the same with the  controller so now both have the latest firmware installed.

At least now you've got a the AC and RC on the latest version of the firmware.

Have you tried enabling USB debugging in Oreo

https://rootmygalaxy.net/how-to- ... droid-oreo-8-0-8-1/

2020-1-2
Use props
R/C Pilot
lvl.1
United States

lannes Posted at 1-2 23:40
At least now you've got a the AC and RC on the latest version of the firmware.

Have you tried enabling USB debugging in Oreo

I had already enabled developer mode from another post but did not enable USB debugging. Now with USB debugging enabled, the system still does not connect with the phone. Any setting under USB debugging that need to be selected also?
2020-1-3
Use props
lannes
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

R/C Pilot Posted at 1-3 07:19
I had already enabled developer mode from another post but did not enable USB debugging. Now with USB debugging enabled, the system still does not connect with the phone. Any setting under USB debugging that need to be selected also?

Unfortunately there are no extra settings in usb debugging
2020-1-3
Use props
R/C Pilot
lvl.1
United States

lannes Posted at 1-3 08:03
Unfortunately there are no extra settings in usb debugging

So then what your saying is if it does not work with USB debugging enabled, the latest firmware installed in both the Mavic mini and controller people with the LG V20 phones are out of luck....
2020-1-3
Use props
AmericaWestCMH
lvl.1

United States

R/C Pilot Posted at 1-3 09:15
So then what your saying is if it does not work with USB debugging enabled, the latest firmware installed in both the Mavic mini and controller people with the LG V20 phones are out of luck....

V20's with Oreo.  If you tech savvy enough to rollback to Nougat it might work.
2020-1-3
Use props
R/C Pilot
lvl.1
United States

AmericaWestCMH Posted at 1-3 09:29
V20's with Oreo.  If you tech savvy enough to rollback to Nougat it might work.

NO Thank You. I purchased the Mavic mini only after checking compatibility with my phone only to find after more than 2 weeks I can't use this rather expensive toy.

It's getting pack up and sent back to Amazon after I type this...!!

Thanks for your support or lack thereof...

DJI gets a big fat zero for not being able to keep up with manufactures/Android updates.

I'll purchase from another manufacturer of drones who have overcome this obstacle with the same or better quality for less.

Yes you read this right...I'm Mad!

Signing off...
2020-1-3
Use props
R/C Pilot
lvl.1
United States

R/C Pilot Posted at 1-3 10:39
NO Thank You. I purchased the Mavic mini only after checking compatibility with my phone only to find after more than 2 weeks I can't use this rather expensive toy.

"Thanks for your support or lack thereof..." was directed to DJI, NOT  you AmericaWestCMH.

Sorry your in the same boat and hope you get it sorted if you chose to keep the drone.
2020-1-3
Use props
HeirFlick
lvl.2

United Kingdom

AmericaWestCMH Posted at 2019-12-23 16:09
Very interesting, so it's definitely an Android 8.0 problem them.  Rolling back to 7.0 is a process that is way over my head, though.  Bummer, hopefully DJI figures this one out.

It also depends where you live what version of a particular phone you have what your cell supplier runs. Its complex and annoying.
2020-1-3
Use props
AmericaWestCMH
lvl.1

United States

R/C Pilot Posted at 1-3 10:39
NO Thank You. I purchased the Mavic mini only after checking compatibility with my phone only to find after more than 2 weeks I can't use this rather expensive toy.

It's funny because Oreo isn't even new.  It's been out for 15 months on ATT in the US.  Probably pre-dates the development of the Fly app
2020-1-3
Use props
lannes
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

AmericaWestCMH Posted at 1-3 11:33
It's funny because Oreo isn't even new.  It's been out for 15 months on ATT in the US.  Probably pre-dates the development of the Fly app

Have you tried clearing the DJI Fly's cache and app data ?
2020-1-3
Use props
R/C Pilot
lvl.1
United States

lannes Posted at 1-3 14:51
Have you tried clearing the DJI Fly's cache and app data ?

Yes to both.

Uninstalled and D/L new copy of version 1.0.4.
Cleared Permissions.
Cleared Open by default.
Tried every combination of USB use.
Enabled developer options and USB debugging.
Tried every combination of powering up system and app with new firmware.

2020-1-3
Use props
Minnesota
lvl.4
United States

I have DJI Fly working and updated on a LG V20 w/7.0 Android.  I do have the problem that when I connect the V20 with USB to my Windows 10 PC, I can see the phone's files but they will not transfer (ie:  DJI Fly video and flight logs).  I have even reloaded the latest LG drivers on my Windows 10 PC.  No luck.  The PC hangs until I unplug the USB cable.  Same problem using other cables and other USB ports.

I then tried to do the same with an older Windows Vista machine with the same cables and they work fine ... files transfer perfectly.   So now I use a stick drive to move the files from the Vista machine to the Windows 10 machine.   I can't find any reason why the LG V20 doesn't work with Windows 10.
2020-1-4
Use props
lannes
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Minnesota Posted at 1-4 02:47
I have DJI Fly working and updated on a LG V20 w/7.0 Android.  I do have the problem that when I connect the V20 with USB to my Windows 10 PC, I can see the phone's files but they will not transfer (ie:  DJI Fly video and flight logs).  I have even reloaded the latest LG drivers on my Windows 10 PC.  No luck.  The PC hangs until I unplug the USB cable.  Same problem using other cables and other USB ports.

I then tried to do the same with an older Windows Vista machine with the same cables and they work fine ... files transfer perfectly.   So now I use a stick drive to move the files from the Vista machine to the Windows 10 machine.   I can't find any reason why the LG V20 doesn't work with Windows 10.

Some of these options might help

https://thegeekpage.com/fix-mtp-not-working-in-windows-10/
2020-1-4
Use props
fansf90dc224
lvl.1

United States

Minnesota Posted at 2019-12-25 06:00
Try this.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0lGqXUnXCc

Thanks, thats the only way it works for me on my LGV20 with the 8.0.  If my phone is not charged 100%, it starts charging my phone.  You only get one shot to fly.  
2020-1-26
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules