Cleaned the contacts and improved reception and performance
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BillsBayou
lvl.1

United States

I got my shipment of cleaning supplies and took care of my reception and performance of the P3S drone.  This is the on-going saga of crashing my drone into a swamp.

I got a small bottle of DeoxIT D100L, a tube of DeoxIT Gold, and a can of CRC QD Electronic Cleaner.  I applied the DeoxIT Gold to the coaxial connectors on the camera, the ends of the antenna cables, and the connections on the motherboard.  I did not remove the connectors on the motherboard because the glue points were very close to the connectors.  I simply applied the DeoxIT Gold to the two points and let it work.  Every other cable I could disconnect I cleaned with the red DeoxIT D100L.  I applied it liberally with the applicator brush to the sockets and the ends of every cable.  After 10-15 minutes of letting the DeoxIT products work, I hosed it all out with the Electronic Cleaner.  I took care not to get the Electronic Cleaner into the rotor motors or the motors on the camera gimbal.  Or, for that matter, into the lens of the camera, itself.  The Electronic Cleaner dried after another 15 minutes and I reassembled the drone.  Everything went green and the drone performed flawlessly.

Here's some photos of the points I cleaned.  Not all cleaning points are shown.  As it says in the first photo, I'm doing this without the blessing of DJI.  I'm winging this.  If you follow my example and the drone fails spectacularly, that's on you.  I DO NOT KNOW WHAT I AM DOING.

Cleaning the body

Cleaning the body

Cleaning the camera

Cleaning the camera
2019-12-19
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. I am sorry to know about the unfortunate incident with your DJI Phantom 3 Standard. Since this unfortunate incident happened. I would recommend, you to contact our support team to start up a ticket for the said drone at ( https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav ) to further diagnose, analyze and repair. Rest assured that our DJI support team will do their best to assists you with regards to this matter. Please note that the repair cost will depend on the said warranty period of the drone otherwise, valid charges will apply. Thank you.
2019-12-19
Use props
PowerBand1
lvl.3

Australia

informative post, maybe if your drone does get wet this could be a good remedy.
2019-12-19
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
First Officer
Flight distance : 3440476 ft
Spain

GOOD tips and solution
2019-12-20
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

I'll throw in my two cents.  I've been using deoxit for about three years - both the red and the gold.  Why?  Because in my experience, the modded antenna connections become oxidized after about 18 months and range begins to suffer.  I've found that cleaning with the red and then applying the gold returned some of my lost range but I am not sure it made it as good as what it was.  It seems like I was not quite where I was when I first did the mod.

Whether original unmodded DJI antenna connections get oxidized I'm not sure because those connections are incapsulated with silicone.  One might assume the silicone is to keep the connection from popping off during a crash, but I think it's possible the real reason or another reason is to minimize the connections exposure to air to prevent eventual oxidation.  So if you're modding antennas and making new connections, those connections will become oxidized eventually unless you think to incapsulate the connections as DJI did.  

I do like the idea of using tuner cleaner to remove the excess deoxit!  I never thought of that.  The gold deoxit is supposed to "molecularly bond to the base metal" so tuner cleaner should not wash it off.  Too much deoxit does more harm than good, so yes, you need to get the excess out of there.  And tuner cleaner seems to be an excellent tool to do it.  

I've found that isopropyl alcohol also does an excellent job at cleaning electrical and antenna connections.  The advantage is it will dry and not leave a residue behind.  But the red deoxit followed by the gold on gold connections has to be better, right?  Provided you get the excess out.  

Anyway - I've found that the red deoxit followed by the gold deoxit helps a lot and made the range almost as good as it was but the range still wasn't quite what it was.  I am not sure why.  Maybe due to slight antenna cable wear within the connection?  

Eventually I tried Deoxit L260D Grease, type L260Dcp.  This is conductive grease and is recommended by the company specifically for antenna connections.  The grease has tiny copper particles in it.  So I tried it and the range improved even more - back to where it was originally!  So I'm back in business.  

I would not routinely use L260D on electrical connections though - my understanding is it's not necessary and can actually dilute the connection.  Electrical connections are much different than antenna (RF) connections.  A non-conductive grease is best.  Or the red/gold deoxit.  

Well done on the repairs!
2019-12-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules