2575 12 2019-12-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dcrainmaker
lvl.4
Flight distance : 477310 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I figured I'd put together this guide on how to essentially fake Active Track on the DJI Mavic Mini. Sure, it doesn't technically include it - but under the covers it's still mostly there. You just have to know how to finesse it just right to get incredible autonomous tracking shots (like the intro). It's a bit more than just opening up QuickShots and hoping for the best. I go through the details of the best distance, rotations, modes, and how to frame the shots for the best shot (or chance of success). Hope ya enjoy!

2019-12-19
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very nice. It isn't actual active track, but if you do the trial and error and have the patience to learn it, seem to work. Thanks for the share!!
2019-12-19
Use props
DJI Panda
Administrator
Flight distance : 405039 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

WOW you are soooo skillful and the actual active track is great!
2019-12-19
Use props
JM.REYES
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84423 ft
Spain

Great video Congratulations. Once again, now more than ever, DJI please, incorporate active tracking to the Mini, it is not a whim we ask, it is a MUST. Release the SDK at once.
2019-12-20
Use props
Dronehiker
lvl.2
Flight distance : 71237 ft
Portugal

I am feeling quite dumb now. Bought the Mini last week thinking the quick shots had an active track function, I hike usually solo and this was the reason I bought this drone. Most likely I will be returning it, still have another week to do it, how can a drone in 2019 NOT having a simple active track feature?  Feeling quite frustrated with this thing
2019-12-20
Use props
JM.REYES
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84423 ft
Spain

Dronehiker Posted at 12-20 08:44
I am feeling quite dumb now. Bought the Mini last week thinking the quick shots had an active track function, I hike usually solo and this was the reason I bought this drone. Most likely I will be returning it, still have another week to do it, how can a drone in 2019 NOT having a simple active track feature?  Feeling quite frustrated with this thing

Return it if it is your wish. Then later, DJI may incorporate it, then buy it again.
DJI knows that our clients are asking for it, I don't know if they will be kind enough to listen to us.
2019-12-20
Use props
fificap
lvl.2
Flight distance : 55531 ft
France

On the same subject, 51drones has some success of tracking in circle mode (see at .4:10, limited speed and movment but it's cool):

2019-12-20
Use props
djiuser_RL0fmj8VVKpt
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1029052 ft
United Kingdom

thanks really awesome advice, look forward to trying it out if it ever stops raining!
2019-12-20
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Awesome
2019-12-20
Use props
Mortensldk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 132592 ft
Denmark

Great video
2019-12-20
Use props
Cdpils
lvl.2
Flight distance : 24948 ft
Germany

Thanks, hope DJI makes real ActiveTrack happen. Especially seeing, that the base technology is already there.
2019-12-21
Use props
dcrainmaker
lvl.4
Flight distance : 477310 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

fificap Posted at 12-20 09:08
On the same subject, 51drones has some success of tracking in circle mode (see at .4:10, limited speed and movment but it's cool):

https://youtu.be/wqCsHMMEisY

Yeah, you can get circle to work - it's just finicky and often fails. It works 'ok' at walking speeds, and if you position it correctly at faster speeds the success rate can be increased slightly. I find that if you put it ahead of you slightly off-center (like your 1-2 o'clock'), and then continue straight, that you'll get the majority of the circle before it fails (depending on your speed).

It's clear they've set some sort of start point radius and not to go too far from that point for the radius, whereas for the dronie mode, they let the camera go anywhere it wants to (hundreds of meters).
2019-12-22
Use props
Cients
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5537369 ft
Portugal

2020-11-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules