Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Warm battery
613 10 2019-12-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Manu P4P Paris
Second Officer
Flight distance : 136483 ft
Italy

I keep 2 batteries inside their places in the hard back pack (material like polystyrene) and I noticed that sometime one of them is a bit warmer than the other one..I charged them about 60% and left in the back pack for storage..auto discharge set to 2 days.. is it normal that the battery is warm?
2019-12-20
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

I've never noticed any of my batteries, after sitting by themselves with a charge of close to 60%, to be warmer than the air around it.  Good luck
2019-12-20
Use props
Manu P4P Paris
Second Officer
Italy

Maybe the discharge system generates heat, plus the material that cover the ventilation holes keeping the temperature makes the rest
2019-12-20
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
United States

Manu P4P Paris Posted at 12-20 17:09
Maybe the discharge system generates heat, plus the material that cover the ventilation holes keeping the temperature makes the rest

My understanding is there is no auto discharge on a half-charged battery.  
2019-12-21
Use props
Manu P4P Paris
Second Officer
Italy

I started to noticed this behavior after I fully charged the batteries for a flight but I didn’t so they auto discharged days after..
2019-12-21
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
United States

Manu P4P Paris Posted at 12-21 08:30
I started to noticed this behavior after I fully charged the batteries for a flight but I didn’t so they auto discharged days after..

Ahh so that might be the explanation then since a slow auto-discharge may cause a rise in battery temp.  
2019-12-21
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Mark The Droner Posted at 12-21 11:19
Ahh so that might be the explanation then since a slow auto-discharge may cause a rise in battery temp.

Any form of auto-discharge must produce some heat, as the battery is simply being discharged into a load inside the battery case. If it is then contained in an insulated pocket in a travel case, then there should be a small but noticeable rise in temperature.
2019-12-21
Use props
Manu P4P Paris
Second Officer
Italy

Exactly..but am I the only one that noticed it!?
2019-12-22
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
United States

There's no doubt heat will be generated with the auto discharge.  I've just never noticed it in that I've never felt it on my fingers or hand.  But I don't store them in a case either - they're out on a shelf in the air.  From your OP, it appears from your description that you had charged them UP to 60% for storage.  So there would be no auto-discharge.  Maybe you wrote it wrong or I am reading it wrong.  
2019-12-22
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
United States

There's no doubt heat will be generated with the auto discharge.  I've just never noticed it in that I've never felt it on my fingers or hand.  But I don't store them in a case either - they're out on a shelf in the air.  From your OP, it appears from your description that you had charged them UP to 60% for storage.  So there would be no auto-discharge.  Did you mean to say you DISCHARGED them to 60%?  Maybe you wrote it wrong or I am reading it wrong.  

I keep 2 batteries inside their places in the hard back pack (material like polystyrene) and I noticed that sometime one of them is a bit warmer than the other one..I charged them about 60% and left in the back pack for storage..auto discharge set to 2 days.. is it normal that the battery is warm?
2019-12-22
Use props
Manu P4P Paris
Second Officer
Italy

at the moment, one battery has 3 led and a bit warmer than the other one that has 2 led and on blinking and it is cold
2019-12-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules