Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Place your bets!
123456Next >
7616 224 2019-12-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
stubbietubbie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 119288 ft
Australia

"Late December"

That's all we're getting. For now.

The fact that that's still the stock response means that it's not in the next week, as far as I'm concerned anyway, but I'd be glad to be proven wrong!

What we're discussing is when DJI will release an App update allowing Mavic Mini users to lift the lock to fly in (blue) Authorisation Zones.

So! What's your thoughts, theories, bets... on when DJI will let the masses take control of their own fate (for good or bad) and fly as they can like any other Mavic.

No real prizes on offer, except knowing you called it before DJI could. It's all in good fun, so I can only ask you do the same (I can't moderate nothing, so that's all I got!).

Single SelectVote, Total 142 people participate in voting View Poll participants

Voting has ended

2.11% (3)
1.41% (2)
2.82% (4)
0.70% (1)
4.23% (6)
4.23% (6)
3.52% (5)
11.27% (16)
7.75% (11)
61.97% (88)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2019-12-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

As long as I’ve been flying dji drones , it’s very unusual for them to put any timeframe on new FW, but this time they did, and I think they did because they caused real problems with NFZ problem, it’s the one thing they slipped up big time on, I have also never known dji to announce a time and NOT keep to it so for these reasons I think we will see it before end of year, I have put 23rd because it’s most likely last chance before Christmas, but equally it could be end of December, and I hope it brings good stuff for everyone even the doubters.
Of course I could be totally wrong and we won’t see new FW until new year, but I hope for the sake of those having problems with NFZ it comes soon, I need nothing from new FW so everything will be a bonus .
2019-12-21
Use props
JodyB
Captain
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

I agree with Hallmark007 on this one.
2019-12-21
Use props
stubbietubbie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 119288 ft
Australia

Interesting results so far.

A couple of optimists, but most reckoning post-Christmas, and equally as much thinking before or after expecting in 2020. Real interesting.

So, sorry to those hoping for a pre-Xmas update for those using the Mini as a gift! (Again, reallly hoping I'm wrong)
2019-12-21
Use props
The Saint
Captain
Flight distance : 5575873 ft
  • >>>
United States

stubbietubbie Posted at 12-21 08:45
Interesting results so far.

A couple of optimists, but most reckoning post-Christmas, and equally as much thinking before or after expecting in 2020. Real interesting.

yeah i think that's the biggest problem.  unable to fly on christmas day would be really disappointing for many.
2019-12-21
Use props
JHa
First Officer
Flight distance : 99797 ft
Czechia

yesterday's response "As of the moment,  we don't have any information regarding the exact release date for the said update." If it is true, then we can't expect release soon.
2019-12-21
Use props
djiuser_Dbez5x7Fwpzf
lvl.1
Flight distance : 45594 ft
United States

I'm hoping is soon. Just got my drone and was super excited to fly it the other day only to find out I'm on the very edge of a blue restricted zone. Then I come to the forums and find out there hasn't been a update in over a month. I guess 249 g and "fly anywhere" means nothing. There are going to be a lot of upset people when they open their drones on christmas day and find out they can't fly them. I would love to know exactly what the holdup is that has taken over a month.
2019-12-21
Use props
Jazzbery
lvl.1
Flight distance : 34072 ft
Hungary

Don't urge them, good work takes time...
2019-12-21
Use props
DowntownRDB
Captain
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

I hope, really hope that it gets released before Christmas so that those who have a MM sitting under their tree will be able to update shortly after opening.  I also hope before Christmas for those who currently have NFZ issues can get their MM flying.  However, the realist in me is leaning to 30 DEC.
2019-12-21
Use props
GreenDayPR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 517087 ft
United States

December 24
2019-12-21
Use props
IndyRick
lvl.3

United States

While I don't live in, or need to fly in (right now), an authorization zone, I understand the frustration of those who do.  However, on my FW wish list is 32 bit Android compatibility.  I have a newer phone, running Android version 9 (32 bit), which is much newer than the version 6.0 that's required.  The Fly app page doesn't even specify a 64 bit OS as a system requirement!
2019-12-21
Use props
Bigplumbs
Captain
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It is already too late...…. I think they have lost a lot of people
2019-12-21
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Bigplumbs Posted at 12-21 14:59

What is your real name? Grinch? What a depressing wet blanket you are.
2019-12-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Bigplumbs Posted at 12-21 14:59

Maybe they have, but of all the people on this forum who own Mavic mini your the only one they seem to have lost.
2019-12-21
Use props
zemetras
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14708 ft
Slovakia

hallmark007 Posted at 12-21 16:24
Maybe they have, but of all the people on this forum who own Mavic mini your the only one they seem to have lost.

Count me in as  #2.
Times, that DJI was far ahead of competitors, are gone (fortunately).
I only had Phantom 2+ and now MM, but one  thing I am pretty sure is, thats it for me from DJI.

Releasing product with such a HUGE issue is not OK and there is no excuse for such behavior (like "F  you, wait for late  december update (questionable)" ???
I think you have this nice saying: Trick me once, shame ...
Bye DJI.
Sorry for bad english.
2019-12-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

zemetras Posted at 12-21 16:36
Count me in as  #2.
Times, that DJI was far ahead of competitors, are gone (fortunately).
I only had Phantom 2+ and now MM, but one  thing I am pretty sure is, thats it for me from DJI.

What huge issues ?
2019-12-21
Use props
JM.REYES
First Officer
Flight distance : 84423 ft
Spain

I just think that if the long-awaited update comes out, which I do NOT expect this month, as DJI usually acts and responds, it will not be with big changes and no "extra". I don't want to be ashes, but I've known DJI for quite some time now, and the R&D area doesn't pay much attention to the requests of its customers. I wish I was wrong this time. I rely more on third party software as the best solution to our potential problems or shortcomings, so I would like to be able to have the SDK loose.
2019-12-22
Use props
zemetras
lvl.4
Slovakia

If you buy a product, that is  supposed to fly, but it`s not flying,  how would you call that ?
I could buy a child toy that looks like some drone  for 5$ (€), it will be  the same.  
This s@#t product should never been released without proper testing in first place.
People paying 399/499$ for working as testers for DJI ?  
Half of my city blocked, including the center which is quite pretty and  fly worth but who am I to judge.
2019-12-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

zemetras Posted at 12-22 01:31
If you buy a product, that is  supposed to fly, but it`s not flying,  how would you call that ?
I could buy a child toy that looks like some drone  for 5$ (€), it will be  the same.  
This s@#t product should never been released without proper testing in first place.

The NFZ is there by request of your government, dji have said that they would release FW to allow you to opt out .
Believe me the craft flys just fine with no problems.
2019-12-22
Use props
JHa
First Officer
Czechia

hallmark007 Posted at 12-22 02:54
The NFZ is there by request of your government, dji have said that they would release FW to allow you to opt out .

It's not true. My government allows me freely start and fly up to 100m in DJIs "Authorization zone" around airport without any permission or registration. btw DJI NFZ is even bigger then local ATZ (Aerodrome traffic zone).  So my home is in DJIs NFZ although it is not in ATZ. And conversely DJI has no any NFZ on places where I must not fly with drone or I must have office permission.
2019-12-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

JHa Posted at 12-22 03:50
It's not true. My government allows me freely start and fly up to 100m in DJIs "Authorization zone" around airport without any permission or registration. btw DJI NFZ is even bigger then local ATZ (Aerodrome traffic zone).  So my home is in DJIs NFZ although it is not in ATZ. And conversely DJI has no any NFZ on places where I must not fly with drone or I must have office permission.

If that’s the case dji has asked operators to report this, what your complaining about will not be sorted only by FW updates, you have other problems, so while FW may help you it won’t cure all your problems,
Most NFZ are pretty much correct yes still some are not 100% correct, but you don’t seriously think dji are just putting down NFZ by guessing .
2019-12-22
Use props
The Saint
Captain
Flight distance : 5575873 ft
  • >>>
United States

if you have 3-4 days off work and you have plenty of time to fly, fly, fly...it would ideal to have new software now  and not on monday morning after you have to go back to work.  i think some people would have loved to spend them time off enjoying their new drone.  but i'm torn because it's not easy to release new software just before a big holiday.
2019-12-22
Use props
zemetras
lvl.4
Slovakia

hallmark007 Posted at 12-22 02:54

As guy above  already mentioned, this is not true.
I have no  problem with NFZ, I understand there is safety requirement (people are so dumb these days).
I accept Authorization Zones with all the  limitations (max height, max distance etc), even if they are more strict that "my government".
So why I AM NOT ABLE TO FLY IN AUTHOROZATION ZONE THEN ?
What has my government to do with unfinished product released too soon ?

2019-12-22
Use props
gruszon188
lvl.3
Flight distance : 30997 ft
Poland

December have 31 days. So it's midd December.
2019-12-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

zemetras Posted at 12-22 11:41
As guy above  already mentioned, this is not true.
I have no  problem with NFZ, I understand there is safety requirement (people are so dumb these days).
I accept Authorization Zones with all the  limitations (max height, max distance etc), even if they are more strict that "my government".

Dji don’t just randomly pick NFZ if they are incorrect you can report them, if they are blue zone you can accept responsibility to fly in such zone, but unfortunately dji had not written this into FW, so for some they could not wave permission and dji said they would make the necessary changes to allow people to fly .
The government have nothing to do with unfinished drone and it has been said to you that this will be straightened out this month, you also had the option of returning your drone or traveling outside NFZ to fly.
Hopefully it will get sorted soon for you.
2019-12-22
Use props
fans8052a469
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2913 ft
Portugal

Failing to provide this firmware update during Christmas hollidays is a big fail from DJI. I have mine for a month and I can't fly it anywhere near my town because I'm working and I can't travel outside. This time of year would be perfect. Yes, it's not a problem when they release the firmware but again, after a month, after I already paid, I still can't use it fully. As a marketing strategy is't a big big mistake.
2019-12-23
Use props
JodyB
Captain
  • >>>
United States

zemetras Posted at 12-22 01:31

It flies, no issues there. The issue is the NFZ. Now the rest is up to you. I hate to sound like sour grapes, but it get's a little old of people saying the MM is crap or junk or whatever your favorite description is because it doesn't work. Fact is, it does work. You just happen to live in an area thats an NFZ and the permission system isn't working. That is DJI's fault. Not the MM, it works just fine if you take it to an area that isn't an NFZ.
2019-12-23
Use props
JHa
First Officer
Czechia

JodyB Posted at 12-23 05:00
It flies, no issues there. The issue is the NFZ. Now the rest is up to you. I hate to sound like sour grapes, but it get's a little old of people saying the MM is crap or junk or whatever your favorite description is because it doesn't work. Fact is, it does work. You just happen to live in an area thats an NFZ and the permission system isn't working. That is DJI's fault. Not the MM, it works just fine if you take it to an area that isn't an NFZ.

Does it fly everywhere you are allowed to fly? No. Reason is irrelevant. It's like radio that works only Monday at 2am
2019-12-23
Use props
JodyB
Captain
  • >>>
United States

JHa Posted at 12-23 10:22
Does it fly everywhere you are allowed to fly? No. Reason is irrelevant. It's like radio that works only Monday at 2am

Reason is relevant. I can be selective and mobile to the choices of where I fly up until the point the new firmware is released. I get what you are saying, but getting bent out of shape about it isn't fixing the issue. That's what I'm getting at. Just simply saying it doesn't fly, doesn't fly, sorry.
2019-12-23
Use props
Bob-Mavic Pro Platinum
Captain
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

Well, if it were up to me, which it is not.  I would either release on Christmas eve, or New Years eve, just to add some drama to it, and make an impression on the good folks waiting patiently - although - I would also let the folks doing the programming know, that it had better be spotless, and work flawlessly, to make an even better impression on the users
2019-12-23
Use props
JodyB
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Bob-Mavic Pro Platinum Posted at 12-23 11:04
Well, if it were up to me, which it is not.  I would either release on Christmas eve, or New Years eve, just to add some drama to it, and make an impression on the good folks waiting patiently - although - I would also let the folks doing the programming know, that it had better be spotless, and work flawlessly, to make an even better impression on the users

As much as I want to see everything this "late December" update will bring, I keep in mind that nothing is spotless or will work flawlessly. If I think that, then I am setting myself up for disappointment.And I don't think anyone is saying not to tell the R&D folks, just the way you tell them makes a big difference.
2019-12-23
Use props
JHa
First Officer
Czechia

JodyB Posted at 12-23 10:36
Reason is relevant. I can be selective and mobile to the choices of where I fly up until the point the new firmware is released. I get what you are saying, but getting bent out of shape about it isn't fixing the issue. That's what I'm getting at. Just simply saying it doesn't fly, doesn't fly, sorry.

I can't be flexible if I can't shot some Christmas scenes that are in NFZ.
2019-12-23
Use props
JodyB
Captain
  • >>>
United States

JHa Posted at 12-23 11:20
I can't be flexible if I can't shot some Christmas scenes that are in NFZ.

I find that difficult to believe entirely. The place where I originally wanted to film Christmas lights is in a NFZ due to a defunct airport about a mile away so I couldn't film there. I had to choose a different location. And popular to general belief, I do have a heart and totally understand these situations. I go through them too. I just choose to present them in a different manner.
2019-12-23
Use props
Bob-Mavic Pro Platinum
Captain
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

JodyB Posted at 12-23 11:08
As much as I want to see everything this "late December" update will bring, I keep in mind that nothing is spotless or will work flawlessly. If I think that, then I am setting myself up for disappointment.And I don't think anyone is saying not to tell the R&D folks, just the way you tell them makes a big difference.

A valid point Sir, and thank you for the reply.
2019-12-23
Use props
zemetras
lvl.4
Slovakia

JodyB Posted at 12-23 05:00

I am sorry, but MM as product is s@#t.
I am buying whole product, I am aware of different zones and I accept that.
I ordered quite soon, was able to get drone quite soon also.
There  was no indication that DJI f-up firmware so bad.
Question comes to my mind: does somebody at least ONCE tested it in Authorization zone ?
If yes , how come we are getting this issues ? If no  ,no further questions needed...
Still this S@#T is not flying where it should be able to.
I do not care if it is due to HW or SW.  
I did not buy HW only, I bought whole package.
If part of it (SW/FW) is S@#T then whole product is S@#T for me as a customer.
If they sell just drone with remote control and release SDK for 3rd party FW/SW, then we can talk.
Still valid : my last DJI product.
And greetings for DJI : fix this pretty please. But not in months, fix it in days, there was plenty of time for that already.
2019-12-23
Use props
JodyB
Captain
  • >>>
United States

zemetras Posted at 12-23 12:02
I am sorry, but MM as product is s@#t.
I am buying whole product, I am aware of different zones and I accept that.
I ordered quite soon, was able to get drone quite soon also.

LOL. You have a very narrow view on things. Do you really think that you are the only one that has to deal with this? Do you really think for one hot second that the way your communicating your issues is helping your case? If you do, then someone has failed you in life at some point or another. It shows you have a very short attention span and a great lack of patients. I also have to shift things around because of NFZ's until this fix comes out, you don't see me calling it crap. I voiced my request and I'm being patient about the fix because they announced they will have one. If you want to call something crap, then call DJI's R&D crap because the mini, is not. I fly it on a regular basis and know better. So you are barking up the wrong tree with me and your antics.
2019-12-23
Use props
JHa
First Officer
Czechia

JodyB Posted at 12-23 11:30
I find that difficult to believe entirely. The place where I originally wanted to film Christmas lights is in a NFZ due to a defunct airport about a mile away so I couldn't film there. I had to choose a different location. And popular to general belief, I do have a heart and totally understand these situations. I go through them too. I just choose to present them in a different manner.

DJI released two firmware updates without fix this huge issue that makes drone usage impossible on some places without tenable reason. DJI can use workaround and change zone map configuration (at least in some countries) . We know this issue and problems with compatibility. Tomorrow many uninformed people open their new drones ...
2019-12-23
Use props
Joemar7
Second Officer
  • >>>
American Samoa

I say #3.  On Christmas day, DJI will make everyone's day with a new firmware that will also include 4k, more quickshots, 24fps, manual video settings, flat profile, and of course be able to fly in blue zones.  Yeah I know is wishful thinking, but come on guys is Christmas.  Ask and you shall receive...
2019-12-23
Use props
JodyB
Captain
  • >>>
United States

JHa Posted at 12-23 12:40
DJI released two firmware updates without fix this huge issue that makes drone usage impossible on some places without tenable reason. DJI can use workaround and change zone map configuration (at least in some countries) . We know this issue and problems with compatibility. Tomorrow many uninformed people open their new drones ...

With the way DJI R&D is dragging their feet, I absolutely agree. What I don't agree with is folks calling the mini itself crap. It seems to me that everybody, myself included wants to fly the mini in NFZ's for whatever reason and I understand that. I missed a good opportunity this past weekend because of an NFZ and I won't see that opportunity again until next year, if I live that long. That isn't the MM fault but I know that people will blame the MM and either sell it or return it without seeing the unlock come out and miss out on a good opportunity.
2019-12-23
Use props
zemetras
lvl.4
Slovakia

JodyB Posted at 12-23 12:18
LOL. You have a very narrow view on things. Do you really think that you are the only one that has to deal with this? Do you really think for one hot second that the way your communicating your issues is helping your case? If you do, then someone has failed you in life at some point or another. It shows you have a very short attention span and a great lack of patients. I also have to shift things around because of NFZ's until this fix comes out, you don't see me calling it crap. I voiced my request and I'm being patient about the fix because they announced they will have one. If you want to call something crap, then call DJI's R&D crap because the mini, is not. I fly it on a regular basis and know better. So you are barking up the wrong tree with me and your antics.

I do not care about BS you just wrote, with your amateur wannabe psychologist  like "contribution" , trying to be whatever you tried to be.
I did not ask you what are you doing and  how you call things. So do not tell me what to do.

You replied to me. Do me a favour please, just do not do that (reply to me) anymore, since I do not really care specifically about you.

Hope there is some ignore possibility for specific users on this forum (gotta check that).

I will not adapt my flying spots because somebody responsible at DJI is not doing his job right about MM with it`s firmware.
MM is unfinished S@#T, released without proper testing.
2019-12-23
Use props
123456Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules