1162 16 2019-12-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ian in London
First Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I believe the Mini is pretty amazing for its price and weight, but it's not invincible and definitely doesn't handle the wind like the Air or Pro / 2 Pro.
A few stories on flyaways and blownaways....

The manual is clear on not flying in strong wind; here's why...

Cheers
Ian

2019-12-21
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, Ian. We really appreciate you for sharing this video that you had created. Great work. Thank you for your continued support!
2019-12-21
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

you should do a comparison of mavic mini vs Mavic Air vs Mavic 2 in the same winds and side by side.  test camera stability, flight dynamics, aircraft stability to give a better representation of their capabilities.
2019-12-21
Use props
dronego
lvl.2
Flight distance : 55820 ft
United States

Had me a blowaway the other day. Ground wind was low, but apparently at 100ft up that day gusts were at 30mph. Your video makes me feel better, because I thought my drone was just malfunctioning at first as it just start taking off away from me. Looks exactly like whats happening here though.
2019-12-21
Use props
StubbornSwiss
Second Officer
Flight distance : 480771 ft
United States

I posted this in another forum, in response to this video, and I'll post it again here. Do indulge me...

An experienced RC/Drone pilot, with obvious insight into wind patterns (how wind speed/direction can change with altitude), and understands how wind can affect an aircrafts ground speed and direction. And yet, we see how he pretty much struggles to control the drone and bring it home safely.

Now compare that with a brand new, novice drone owner, who's probably NEVER flown anything RC, who knows NOTHING about winds and the effect it has on an aircraft, and who on their first flight wants to see how high and how far their shiny new 'toy' can go. Oh.... but they're not worried, because there is a button they can push, that regardless of the situation will bring the drone back home (RTH) - although they REALLY don't know how it works, and didn't bother to set it up, because they typically don't bother to read manuals.

This, my fellow RC/Drone pilots, IN MY HUMBLE OPINION, is the cause of the majority of the 'Fly Aways' that we see reported in this and other forums concerning the Mavic Mini.

Again, this is just my opinion, and I respect anyone who has a different opinion.

Thank you Ian, for this.
2019-12-21
Use props
urbanweb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 33963 ft
United Kingdom

Great, thanks for the video. What I expected!
2019-12-21
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

I was flying in 25-27mph+ by the beach with the Spark and it was fine.

Upload some telemetry overlays so we can see how far your stick travels are.

2019-12-21
Use props
Ian in London
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HereForTheBeer Posted at 12-21 15:41
you should do a comparison of mavic mini vs Mavic Air vs Mavic 2 in the same winds and side by side.  test camera stability, flight dynamics, aircraft stability to give a better representation of their capabilities.

I had already done an Air & Pro comparison and a separate 2 Pro video, but yes, the Mini, Air and 2 Pro side by side would explain a lot about their differing capabilities.

I'd be reluctant to fly the Mini is such strong wind again though....
2019-12-22
Use props
jonny007
Second Officer
Germany

I think most people won't fly in very strong winds, why should they? Buy a 249g drone and then intend to fly in a storm ? Ok, one can say exaggerated : Don't fly in a hurricane ... but I wouldn't recommend that to air, pro, inspire, matrice either. I agree with the posting of StubbornSwiss. Many "flyaway victims" have underestimated the wind in the air,especially the gusts of wind, not at 1000 meters but only a few meters above the ground.
2019-12-22
Use props
QRF_HawkEye
lvl.1
Flight distance : 94032 ft
Croatia

I mean in my opinion the Mavic Mini does great for how big it
2019-12-22
Use props
Cookster670
Second Officer
Australia

curious how it compares to spark.  From memory they are rated the same in terms of wind performance.
2019-12-22
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for sharing Ian. This is another reason why I haven't purchased the MM.
2019-12-22
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Fantastic demonstration. Makes sense when it weighs so little.
2019-12-22
Use props
Jollyroger Hobbies
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17392 ft
United States

here is my video of high wind issues. DO NOT FLY IN HIGH WIND!  Remember, wind and ground level is NOT the same as high up (aloft)  I now use the UAV forcast app which helps alot to determine safe flying conditions.

2019-12-22
Use props
Ian in London
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

QRF_HawkEye Posted at 12-22 03:48
I mean in my opinion the Mavic Mini does great for how big it

It absolutely does, and this video wasn't a criticism of it; I love it... But I figured a few people will be unwrapping one in a day or two and this shows them what happens when it's a bit breezy  
2019-12-22
Use props
Tervist
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20830 ft
United States

Thank you for sharing this video. It's very sobering to see how the wind can shove these things around.
2019-12-22
Use props
Ian in London
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Tervist Posted at 12-22 15:45
Thank you for sharing this video. It's very sobering to see how the wind can shove these things around.

I'm glad I did this test; best to stay well abov obstacles and buildings....  Cheers, Ian
2019-12-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules