Why is mavic mini not using 100% Power when fighting wind?
1229 13 2019-12-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_SFmb5tb7bQWj
lvl.2

Germany

In different wind test videos on youtube you can see this happening:
The drone in gps or sport mode is drifting with the wind in strong winds but as soon as the operator takes control it shows that is has enough fource to hold its position.

I dont get why the drone cant do that on its own. I see this is pretty dangerous for example in failsafe rth where the op is not able to manually increase the speed so the drone might not make it.

What do you think about it?
2019-12-22
Use props
johnnysnet
lvl.3
Flight distance : 26260 ft
Germany

Since I've passed my first 2 outdoor flights without any issues, I wonder why people go flying when it's that windy and complain. Simply do not fly when weather is inappropriate. That is what I think.
2019-12-22
Use props
djiuser_SFmb5tb7bQWj
lvl.2

Germany

Well, you are absolutly right, but i think that a 499 Dollar drone should at lest be able to fight the wind with all what it has.
2019-12-22
Use props
Sigmo
lvl.4
United States

Not all of us live in calm locations.  I've had the mini for several weeks and we have had just one brief 3 hour period of wind low enough to safely fly outdoors.  This was between midnight and 3am one cold night.  I did manage one flight and got some video of Christmas lights.

I'm looking at the forecast, and may get another fairly low wind day two days from now, but that remains to be seen.

So far, I've been mostly unable to do any outdoor flying.  You can understand how people might be tempted to fly in breezy conditions when you realize that many places have wind a lot of the time.
2019-12-22
Use props
djiuser_SFmb5tb7bQWj
lvl.2

Germany

Sigmo Posted at 12-22 11:05
Not all of us live in calm locations.  I've had the mini for several weeks and we have had just one brief 3 hour period of wind low enough to safely fly outdoors.  This was between midnight and 3am one cold night.  I did manage one flight and got some video of Christmas lights.

I'm looking at the forecast, and may get another fairly low wind day two days from now, but that remains to be seen.

Very true!
2019-12-22
Use props
Cookster670
Second Officer
Australia

I’m guessing DJI had to compromises in order to get the rated 30 min flight times.   

Also with batteries, if you draw too much power, you lose power faster...which is equally bad

From what i’ve seen so fars, as long as you fly within the rated wind specifications, you’ll be fine.    If you want to fly beyond that, you need a different drone
2019-12-22
Use props
djiuser_SFmb5tb7bQWj
lvl.2

Germany

Cookster670 Posted at 12-22 12:06
I’m guessing DJI had to compromises in order to get the rated 30 min flight times.   

Also with batteries, if you draw too much power, you lose power faster...which is equally bad

Why would dji put 1-2 mknutes of flight time over such an important safety feature?
That does not really make sence forme...
2019-12-22
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing these information with us. We do not recommend our customers to fly their drone in a hazardous environment or any bad weather such as rain or strong wind to avoid any incident to the drone when flying. Just a reminder that the DJI Mavic Mini has a max wind speed resistance of 8 m/s ( Scale 4 ). Thank you and have a safe flight always.
2019-12-22
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

"I dont get why the drone cant do that on its own. I see this is pretty dangerous for example in failsafe rth where the op is not able to manually increase the speed so the drone might not make it."

If you were in failsafe RTH mode at the time, which is not really clear from your post, then the answer is that the aircraft cannot assume there is plenty of power available from the battery to fight the wind. It must be economical with battery power in case it does not have enough power to make it home. One of the recommendations often made on here by experienced pilots is not to fly downwind from your home position in strong winds, as you may not have enough power to get back home. Also, in the same vein, if caught in this situation, exit RTH mode, drop down in altitude where the wind may not be stong, and watch the battery consumption. If it gets critical, find somewhere safe to land.
2019-12-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Geebax Posted at 12-22 13:09
"I dont get why the drone cant do that on its own. I see this is pretty dangerous for example in failsafe rth where the op is not able to manually increase the speed so the drone might not make it."

If you were in failsafe RTH mode at the time, which is not really clear from your post, then the answer is that the aircraft cannot assume there is plenty of power available from the battery to fight the wind. It must be economical with battery power in case it does not have enough power to make it home. One of the recommendations often made on here by experienced pilots is not to fly downwind from your home position in strong winds, as you may not have enough power to get back home. Also, in the same vein, if caught in this situation, exit RTH mode, drop down in altitude where the wind may not be stong, and watch the battery consumption. If it gets critical, find somewhere safe to land.

With all new mavics IE Air M2 mini, you can lower craft increase speed lower altitude control orientation (NOT change direction) while in Rth mode .
2019-12-22
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Mavic Mini is not designed to fly in strong winds, period. If she's drifting in hover it is a clear indication of too strong wind. Thanks to a clever DJI approach, you still have extra power under joysticks to try bring her back home. Please note that during RTH procedure you can control speed and attitude. That's why you need this extra power.
2019-12-22
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Strongly concur with Matthew's post.  I think a lot of new fliers forget (or didn't read or know) that you can control speed and attitude during RTH.  Best lessons learned and critically information is found in different places on this forum and most in the owner's manual.  Much cheaper to read and learn than to crash your new MM.
2019-12-22
Use props
RBI
Second Officer

Philippines

I don't understand this discussion. Why do you have to fly in more wind than the MM specs allow?

Max Wind Speed Resistance for the MM:  8 m / s (Scale 4) = 28km / h
2019-12-22
Use props
Cookster670
Second Officer
Australia

djiuser_SFmb5tb7bQWj Posted at 12-22 12:17
Why would dji put 1-2 mknutes of flight time over such an important safety feature?
That does not really make sence forme...

how do you know it’s 1-2 minutes?  30 minutes is well above what any other DJI drone can do.  Almost 3 times the spark.   So very curiuos how you get to the 1-2 minute assumption.

What makes less sense is why a device has a wind rating, people fly  above that rating, and then complain about it.

It’s like people say I bought a ferrari, and now can’t tow my boat....
2019-12-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules