Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI Grinch Spoils Christmas for Many
1034 19 2019-12-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bigplumbs
Captain
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I am certain now that DJI will not be releasing the update to allow people in NFZ's to fly their Mavic Mini.

Given that this Drone was marketed in such a way to attract many new customers and many will have bought it for Christmas. I am wondering how many people will be disapointed when they cant fly their new toy on the big day. Most will not understand why it wont work and will be totally put of DJI.

I wonder how much damage this will do to future sales particularly from those people affected.

DJI You could have done so much better.

Grinch DJI.jpg
2019-12-24
Use props
Crummett
lvl.4
Flight distance : 36929 ft
United Kingdom

Surely they will know because the app will tell them they're in a NFZ?  At which point they can drive a few miles down the road and use it?  Most people can't and shouldn't be using their drones where they live as i'd assume it's a built up town/city and thus illegal.  Definitely need the unlocking feature but i can't see it doing much damage to sales or reputation
2019-12-24
Use props
Bright Spark
First Officer
Flight distance : 22129 ft
United Kingdom

It's not for every one, especially if people think it'a toy.
DJI cannot sell experience, any more than some one should give a guitar for Christmas, and the recipient be gutted they can't play it  Christmas day.

2019-12-24
Use props
Ice_2k
Captain
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

Bright Spark Posted at 12-24 02:01
It's not for every one, especially if people think it'a toy.
DJI cannot sell experience, any more than some one should give a guitar for Christmas, and the recipient be gutted they can't play it  Christmas day.

That's not really the same now, is it? He wasn't complaining he was unable to take great cinematic footage in day one, he's complaining he can't take off period in day one
2019-12-24
Use props
zephiruspt
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2913 ft
Portugal

Let's be clear. Of course everyone can drive away to a flight zone but, everyone was expecting that it would be possible to lift the permission from day one, I think this is very clear. The worst for me is that it's talking to long to solve it.

And another thing, there's more countries besides US. And in many, the map is almost full of NFZ's. If DJI has a way, already implemented for years in they previous drones, to able their clients to use the drone in more places, that was expected for weeks now.
2019-12-24
Use props
Ice_2k
Captain
Romania

zephiruspt Posted at 12-24 02:13
Let's be clear. Of course everyone can drive away to a flight zone but, everyone was expecting that it would be possible to lift the permission from day one, I think this is very clear. The worst for me is that it's talking to long to solve it.

And another thing, there's more countries besides US. And in many, the map is almost full of NFZ's. If DJI has a way, already implemented for years in they previous drones, to able their clients to use the drone in more places, that was expected for weeks now.

Driving away to a flight zone in itself is an issue. This would mean that your primary goal is to fly the drone. Which is not correct, especially not how this drone was marketed. Flying the drone is *the means* by which I achieve my goal. And if my goal is to take a nice shot in my backyard of our Christmas party will all the guests while never getting higher than 10m, telling me to "simply drive to a fly zone" is useless. If my house is in a NFZ, I need to be able to use my "everyday fly cam", well... every day
2019-12-24
Use props
Bright Spark
First Officer
United Kingdom

Well it has been made so simple on the face of it, but I compltetely agree you have to start somewhere.
It's just that unlike lots of toys, esp computer types, unlimited second chances cannot be taken for granted.
I don't like it either, but much marketing/advertising is bound to be optimistic.
Mavic mini in the same room as children with no prop guards is a bit much though.
And the no fly situation is unfair I think.

2019-12-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Maybe a moderator can come on here and let users know when FW will be released, Christmas a time of good will to all, so let’s hear from dji for those having trouble flying their craft .
2019-12-24
Use props
DowntownRDB
Captain
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

When you take a current App and "dumb it down" there's voluminous lines of recoding required and believe it or not that is very time consuming, even for a team of coders.  I have no idea why DJI did not just configure the Go app to be compatible with the MM.  I'm sure management made that tough decision.  Bottom line is they rushed a product to meet marketing deadlines and now they have to rush to fix phone\tablet compatibility, NFZ override, etc.

In retrospect I'm betting DJI wishes they would have better tested the MM vice rushing to market and taking a huge hit on their brand name. Just my opinion.
2019-12-24
Use props
JodyB
Captain
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ice_2k Posted at 12-24 02:51
Driving away to a flight zone in itself is an issue. This would mean that your primary goal is to fly the drone. Which is not correct, especially not how this drone was marketed. Flying the drone is *the means* by which I achieve my goal. And if my goal is to take a nice shot in my backyard of our Christmas party will all the guests while never getting higher than 10m, telling me to "simply drive to a fly zone" is useless. If my house is in a NFZ, I need to be able to use my "everyday fly cam", well... every day

ice_2k, I want to make sure that before I say this, that you know that I'm not trying to debate the issue, in fact I agree with you 100%, but I know DJI's stand point. And that is, "everyday fly cam" statement doesn't mean that I can fly it at my house, even at all. And thats become apparent to a lot of folks on here. And that is sad. I think DJI will get a lot of their MM's returned because of this stance too.
2019-12-24
Use props
Ice_2k
Captain
Romania

JodyB Posted at 12-24 05:30
ice_2k, I want to make sure that before I say this, that you know that I'm not trying to debate the issue, in fact I agree with you 100%, but I know DJI's stand point. And that is, "everyday fly cam" statement doesn't mean that I can fly it at my house, even at all. And thats become apparent to a lot of folks on here. And that is sad. I think DJI will get a lot of their MM's returned because of this stance too.

Well, you gotta admit they’re creating that expectation themselves, remember the commercial with the mother filming her kids in the backyard?
2019-12-24
Use props
zephiruspt
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2913 ft
Portugal

Ice_2k Posted at 12-24 02:51

You're right. For now it's a workaround but not a solution.
2019-12-24
Use props
Bright Spark
First Officer
United Kingdom

State of the art drones are I think deceptively simple , and comprise the most eloquent technology inside. It may well be I can't buy that much sophisticated technology for that price in anything else, which is what I like about it - the mini is a very powerful 'toy'.
For christmas house/garden only fun it may be too much.A tello would take 5 meg pics  (even that needs propguards) and bounces quite well.
Still only my thoughts, I love my mavic mini!  
2019-12-24
Use props
JodyB
Captain
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ice_2k Posted at 12-24 05:50
Well, you gotta admit they’re creating that expectation themselves, remember the commercial with the mother filming her kids in the backyard?

They are absolutely "making their own bed" so they are going to have to sleep in it if they don't do something pretty quickly. I understand the business side of it, they can't possibly cover every situation and mistakes are going to be made, I get that. But this was a big mistake, big enough that I feel like it will cost them considerably.
2019-12-24
Use props
Bigplumbs
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Crummett Posted at 12-24 01:40
Surely they will know because the app will tell them they're in a NFZ?  At which point they can drive a few miles down the road and use it?  Most people can't and shouldn't be using their drones where they live as i'd assume it's a built up town/city and thus illegal.  Definitely need the unlocking feature but i can't see it doing much damage to sales or reputation

Why on earth do you assume that all people live in a City or Built Up area..... Most airfields and hence no fly zones are in country areas
2019-12-24
Use props
Bigplumbs
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bright Spark Posted at 12-24 02:01
It's not for every one, especially if people think it'a toy.
DJI cannot sell experience, any more than some one should give a guitar for Christmas, and the recipient be gutted they can't play it  Christmas day.

But the point is they could play/have a go on the guitar on Christmas day that is the point
2019-12-24
Use props
Bigplumbs
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

So DJI...…. You are officially the Chinese Grinch...……… Go on Prove us Wrong. I dare you
2019-12-24
Use props
69th Drone Detachment
lvl.1

United States

zephiruspt Posted at 12-24 02:13
Let's be clear. Of course everyone can drive away to a flight zone but, everyone was expecting that it would be possible to lift the permission from day one, I think this is very clear. The worst for me is that it's talking to long to solve it.

Please reference the article in the journal of the Royal Academy of Sciences..."there are no countries other than the US"   (jk)   ; )
2019-12-25
Use props
Alan77505
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3058789 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just my opinion, but I think there were many more bugs than DJI was aware of when the stated late December for the NFZ fix.
2019-12-25
Use props
BobWinNV
Captain
Flight distance : 284209 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bright Spark Posted at 12-24 05:53
State of the art drones are I think deceptively simple , and comprise the most eloquent technology inside. It may well be I can't buy that much sophisticated technology for that price in anything else, which is what I like about it - the mini is a very powerful 'toy'.
For christmas house/garden only fun it may be too much.A tello would take 5 meg pics  (even that needs propguards) and bounces quite well.
Still only my thoughts, I love my mavic mini!

Where they missed on the Tello was no onboard storage.
2019-12-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules