Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
4 miles / 6.5 km distance limit
734 9 2019-12-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
javo-fpv
lvl.2

Spain

It would be nice if we could use an operation mode for long range flights so that we could go pass the 4 miles limit, so we could test the full capabilities of the system, even if we lost image quality, or have more latency, that its not a problem in planes/wings.

Here its an example of this limit

2019-12-24
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 826070 ft
United Kingdom

If your using the digital fav have you tried the naco.txt file tweak?
2019-12-24
Use props
javo-fpv
lvl.2

Spain

DAFlys Posted at 12-24 03:49
If your using the digital fav have you tried the naco.txt file tweak?

Yes , it doesnt matter, even at 1200mw, max distance its always 4 miles.
2019-12-25
Use props
Daemon42
lvl.1
Flight distance : 105955 ft
United States

FWIW, several others have verified this limit.    It happens regardless of power, or antenna gain.  
Bitrate always tanks *right* at 4 miles.  
If DJI isn't doing it intentionally (I hope not) then my guess is that it's a clock desync issue down at the digital spread spectrum level.
Perhaps it's built on off-the-shelf Wifi tech that just never bothers to account for light speed delay (about 22uS at 4 miles).  
I hope it's fixable.  
2019-12-26
Use props
JchgMad
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3238 ft
Spain

I think that if it could be intended, that limit of 4 miles is the only thing that justifies being able to continue selling the previous fpv system based on ocusync
2019-12-27
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 3746148 ft
  • >>>
United States

Awesome footage.
2019-12-29
Use props
djiuser_qUazZVqCIdeL
lvl.1
Chile

Thank you for opening this thread!

I can confirm this limit. We’ve just lost a quad at ~6.5km range. The reception was great (~23 Mbps) and then suddenly the bitrate dropped and we lost all visual. We were unable to recover the quad unfortunately.

Now that I’ve seen this limit I’m both glad that it seems to be a consistent limit but also a bit frustrated that there is not much we can do about it. I really hope DJI is aware of it and can fix it soon.

Another thought we had was this: Perhaps DJI is aware of it and the reason they locked down the transmission power to 700mw was this issue?

Either way, I will keep returning here in hopes of any news you guys might have.
2019-12-29
Use props
djiuser_3wugiNxNqa9C
lvl.1

Romania

If you don't have GPS and RTH with failsafe...why would you fly so far away?  There are so many possibilities of things that could go wrong besides hitting this limit...
1-8 01:09
Use props
javo-fpv
lvl.2

Spain

djiuser_3wugiNxNqa9C Posted at 1-8 01:09
If you don't have GPS and RTH with failsafe...why would you fly so far away?  There are so many possibilities of things that could go wrong besides hitting this limit...

I have RTH and GPS. Thats not even far, some of us fly that distances because we love long range flights.
1-8 01:19
Use props
mc54
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1030 ft

United States

Could anyone from DJI please confirm if this 4 mile limit actually exists?  If so, could you explain the reason for it, or if it is possible to remove it?
1-11 20:27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules