Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
4 miles / 6.5 km distance limit
9545 26 2019-12-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
javo-fpv

Spain

It would be nice if we could use an operation mode for long range flights so that we could go pass the 4 miles limit, so we could test the full capabilities of the system, even if we lost image quality, or have more latency, that its not a problem in planes/wings.

Here its an example of this limit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjGf1dQp7V4
2019-12-24
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 93626696 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If your using the digital fav have you tried the naco.txt file tweak?
2019-12-24
Use props
javo-fpv

Spain

DAFlys Posted at 12-24 03:49
If your using the digital fav have you tried the naco.txt file tweak?

Yes , it doesnt matter, even at 1200mw, max distance its always 4 miles.
2019-12-25
Use props
Daemon42
lvl.1
Flight distance : 105955 ft
United States

FWIW, several others have verified this limit.    It happens regardless of power, or antenna gain.  
Bitrate always tanks *right* at 4 miles.  
If DJI isn't doing it intentionally (I hope not) then my guess is that it's a clock desync issue down at the digital spread spectrum level.
Perhaps it's built on off-the-shelf Wifi tech that just never bothers to account for light speed delay (about 22uS at 4 miles).  
I hope it's fixable.  
2019-12-26
Use props
JchgMad
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3238 ft
Spain

I think that if it could be intended, that limit of 4 miles is the only thing that justifies being able to continue selling the previous fpv system based on ocusync
2019-12-27
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Awesome footage.
2019-12-29
Use props
djiuser_qUazZVqCIdeL
New
Chile

Thank you for opening this thread!

I can confirm this limit. We’ve just lost a quad at ~6.5km range. The reception was great (~23 Mbps) and then suddenly the bitrate dropped and we lost all visual. We were unable to recover the quad unfortunately.

Now that I’ve seen this limit I’m both glad that it seems to be a consistent limit but also a bit frustrated that there is not much we can do about it. I really hope DJI is aware of it and can fix it soon.

Another thought we had was this: Perhaps DJI is aware of it and the reason they locked down the transmission power to 700mw was this issue?

Either way, I will keep returning here in hopes of any news you guys might have.
2019-12-29
Use props
djiuser_3wugiNxNqa9C
lvl.1

Romania

If you don't have GPS and RTH with failsafe...why would you fly so far away?  There are so many possibilities of things that could go wrong besides hitting this limit...
2020-1-8
Use props
javo-fpv

Spain

djiuser_3wugiNxNqa9C Posted at 1-8 01:09
If you don't have GPS and RTH with failsafe...why would you fly so far away?  There are so many possibilities of things that could go wrong besides hitting this limit...

I have RTH and GPS. Thats not even far, some of us fly that distances because we love long range flights.
2020-1-8
Use props
mc54
First Officer
Flight distance : 1030 ft

United States

Could anyone from DJI please confirm if this 4 mile limit actually exists?  If so, could you explain the reason for it, or if it is possible to remove it?
2020-1-11
Use props
djiuser_3wugiNxNqa9C
lvl.1

Romania

DJI?  No comment?  Firmware fix to allow more latency and longer re-transmission timeouts?  Clearly it can go further but you are limiting it.
2020-5-6
Use props
Xedos9er
lvl.1

Germany

Would be nice, if DJI could respond to this thread. There´s lots of discussion going on about it on other forums...
For long range wings/planes, this is one of the most limiting factors on this system.
2020-5-6
Use props
arnasnngmail.com
lvl.4

Lithuania

Daemon42 Posted at 2019-12-26 17:56
FWIW, several others have verified this limit.    It happens regardless of power, or antenna gain.  
Bitrate always tanks *right* at 4 miles.  
If DJI isn't doing it intentionally (I hope not) then my guess is that it's a clock desync issue down at the digital spread spectrum level.

sounds possible, does other dji drones go above 4miles ?
2020-5-7
Use props
mc54
First Officer
Flight distance : 1030 ft

United States

I feel that DJI intentionally keeps the official published range limits lower (they say its 4km), and there is no benefit and only potential liability for them if they admit to the system having greater than published capabilities.  Maybe there is a "hack" someone at DJI could covertly release to get around the 4 mile barrier?
2020-5-7
Use props
djiuser_W8qm8fDOHA5v
lvl.1

Germany

dji please remove the hardcoded limit
2020-5-8
Use props
Nanois
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1280397 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Tested this twice today, the result was exactly the same. The DJI remote LED turned solid red, FC running iNAV went to failsafe, video transmission was steady at 10mbps but suddenly dropped below 2mbps then blank screen at precisely 6.5km. All systems returned normal at 6.2km heading home. I wonder if DJI air unit reads the distance via the UART port, otherwise i couldn't come up with any reason RC and HD video links lost sharply at this distance.
2020-5-11
Use props
Giammi
Captain
Flight distance : 847795 ft
Italy

Nanois Posted at 5-11 04:44
Tested this twice today, the result was exactly the same. The DJI remote LED turned solid red, FC running iNAV went to failsafe, video transmission was steady at 10mbps but suddenly dropped below 2mbps then blank screen at precisely 6.5km. All systems returned normal at 6.2km heading home. I wonder if DJI air unit reads the distance via the UART port, otherwise i couldn't come up with any reason RC and HD video links lost sharply at this distance.

I don't think the Air Unit knows the distance in any way. Probably is a limit of the Wi-Fi connection. My guess is that at that distance the lag is so much that is causing troubles to the data transmission.
2020-5-11
Use props
djiuser_WAHMwap2pzKI
New

Norway

same for me, range is limited exactly at 6.5km
2020-6-5
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Awesome footage
2020-6-16
Use props
Ruhr
lvl.3

Germany

Yeah.. how will the Air unit know the range? Maybe it gets it through the msp connection from the FC, while the FC gets it from the GPS, but i guess even without a gps the unit will cut off. So there has to be something that lets the DJI system know.. maybe the transmission power. But exactly at 6.5km.. without gps.. wow. Nevertheless the signal cut from 20mbps to less than 4 mbps at the exact range should be a proof that there is something which limits the range.

Why DJI? FPV is also Longrange.. pls give us the possibility to do this with more than 6,5km.
2020-6-16
Use props
fans18992d4c
lvl.1
China

hi javo_fpv! Can you help me out here? i'm so much headache with my dji fpv system on range issue. here is my story. I have one set of dji fpv system. i hadn't really done range test fly or tried to push it further away. most of the time i flew it around trees in my farm until a week ago. i took it to a large field and i lost signal on about 60-70m away. i did some search and some people mention about the antenna and the right angle, so bought the suggested frame that come with antenna 3d print holder and a new air unit. however, both drone fly the same distance. i also work on "auto temp control" and "max power" too, but it was not the issue since i still lose signal on about the same spot. then i even test only air unit, remote and google without flight controller with 3s lipo battery and 4s lipo battery, and guess what, the result is about the same. i even downgraded the firmware but nothing seems to get me fly drone further than 60-70m. i thought at least it goes out for 3-4km straight out of box with all stock component, right? and this is so not acceptable. Any suggestion or ideas i can try? thank in advance!
2020-6-24
Use props
dr_patso
lvl.1

United States

looks like our wishes have been granted in the latest firmware update from early July 2020. WOO!
2020-7-10
Use props
Bezik
First Officer
Flight distance : 420646 ft
United Kingdom

here's a video I found of a guy showing the new range possibilities after the new update!
2020-7-10
Use props
geoffz
First Officer
Flight distance : 1941322 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bezik Posted at 7-10 13:01
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4X8ExuJWt6E

here's a video I found of a guy showing the new range possibilities after the new update!

I take it this is a RT figure?

Otherwise, how is it possible to fly out that distance and have battery to return that distance.
2020-7-13
Use props
Bezik
First Officer
United Kingdom

geoffz Posted at 7-13 03:32
I take it this is a RT figure?

Otherwise, how is it possible to fly out that distance and have battery to return that distance.

2020-7-13
Use props
Bezik
First Officer
United Kingdom

12.3km and still with 20mbps+
2020-7-13
Use props
geoffz
First Officer
Flight distance : 1941322 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bezik Posted at 7-13 04:01
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH8A4QdabFo

12.3km and still with 20mbps+

I get it, lightweight AMA with robust battery.
2020-7-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules