Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Mini Flyaway
12Next >
5497 58 2019-12-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans17de0bd1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 750226 ft
Malaysia

I have flown the Mavic Mini several times and it flown perfectly fine. Took  the Mini to beach today and shortly after take off the Mini flown away on its own. I have own several DJI drones, I am at level 23 on the DJI go app. This is the first time that happened to me.  I could not control the Mini at all using the remote controller. It just flew on its own erratically. I manage to recover the Mini by hitting the “return home button” on the controller, the Mini stops mid flight and all controls are available again after hitting return home button. I was lucky that the Mini went flying on its own right after take off which I still have clear line of sight on the drone. I manage to recover the Mini without any damage.

This is clearly a firmware issue and DJI needs to look at it. I will not fly the Mini any further until this issue is addressed by DJI.

I have synced the flight record and it may be available to DJI if needed.

DJI please address this fly away issue as soon as possible as another owner may not be as lucky as I have.
2019-12-24
Use props
djiuser_SFmb5tb7bQWj
lvl.1

Germany

Please Post your logs
2019-12-24
Use props
djiuser_SFmb5tb7bQWj
lvl.1

Germany

Were there any warnings that popped up?
2019-12-24
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi, I am sorry for the trouble and thank you for sharing your informative insights on what happened. I would recommend you contact our support team to start up a ticket at ( https://repair.dji.com/repair/index ) to further diagnose this matter and to find out what caused your DJI Mavic Mini to move erratically . We have the professional team who would do their best to  assists you with regards to this matter. We hope to hear from you as soon as possible for a swift resolution. Thank you.
2019-12-24
Use props
Chrome Dome
lvl.3
Canada

OP - can you please keep us posted as to what DJI actual does to help you?     It seems a good number of people are experiencing random fly away with the Mini...  we are all a little concerned this will eventually happen to us all!   
2019-12-24
Use props
djiuser_3Iu9iaqLxEvq
lvl.1
United Kingdom

This exactly what my mini did on my first flight with it.It took off, hovered and then flew off on it's own, and crashed and broke.Unlike you, I didnt have clear line of sight and before I could do anything it just vanished. It's something that needs to be fixed because this is not an acceptable operation for such a product, especially at the price. It's made me very nervous about it happening again and losing my drone.
2019-12-24
Use props
BobWinNV
Captain
Flight distance : 284209 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am glad to hear that the Halt button worked correctly and that you were able to stop the fly away.

2019-12-24
Use props
fans17de0bd1
lvl.1
Malaysia

djiuser_SFmb5tb7bQWj Posted at 12-24 08:18
Please Post your logs

How do I download the logs from the mini?
2019-12-24
Use props
fans17de0bd1
lvl.1
Malaysia

djiuser_SFmb5tb7bQWj Posted at 12-24 08:19
Were there any warnings that popped up?

No warning at all. It just flew off.
2019-12-24
Use props
fans17de0bd1
lvl.1
Malaysia

Flight logs extracted from Airdata: https://app.airdata.com/share/bdzOaF
According to logs :
Satellite lowest count : 14
Wind : 5 miles
Compass : 22.20 (green- no issues)
signal score : 100 %
2019-12-24
Use props
fans17de0bd1
lvl.1
Malaysia

DJI Paladin Posted at 12-24 09:32
Hi, I am sorry for the trouble and thank you for sharing your informative insights on what happened. I would recommend you contact our support team to start up a ticket at ( https://repair.dji.com/repair/index ) to further diagnose this matter and to find out what caused your DJI Mavic Mini to move erratically . We have the professional team who would do their best to  assists you with regards to this matter. We hope to hear from you as soon as possible for a swift resolution. Thank you.

Hi Thanks for your reply. However I cannot start a reply ticket at https://repair.dji.com/repair/index as my region (Malaysia) is not supported. As I have posted here, my flight log extracted from Airdata: https://app.airdata.com/share/IiJvPM
Hope it helps
2019-12-24
Use props
BobWinNV
Captain
Flight distance : 284209 ft
  • >>>
United States

Here is the link to the flight logs above. fans17de0bd1 Flight Log
2019-12-24
Use props
fans17de0bd1
lvl.1
Malaysia

DJI Paladin Posted at 12-24 09:32
Hi, I am sorry for the trouble and thank you for sharing your informative insights on what happened. I would recommend you contact our support team to start up a ticket at ( https://repair.dji.com/repair/index ) to further diagnose this matter and to find out what caused your DJI Mavic Mini to move erratically . We have the professional team who would do their best to  assists you with regards to this matter. We hope to hear from you as soon as possible for a swift resolution. Thank you.

This flight log is extracted from the DJI Fly using iTunes, a more detail log : https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/XDMIT6U4SOF8SVEVDL3M
2019-12-24
Use props
JodyB
Captain
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

According to the log, the first three entries are starting motors and the usual two manual take offs. Good satellite lock at take off and maintained during the entire flight. After the first three entires the remainder of the flight was in p-god mode save the last 6 which were forced landing entires which is usually indicative of a landing initiated via holding down on the controller. No RTH was recorded. All indicative of a normal flight to me. But I am just learning to read flight logs so I hope JJB* will come along and give his wonderful insight and fill in where I missed.
2019-12-24
Use props
fans17de0bd1
lvl.1
Malaysia

JodyB Posted at 12-24 20:18
According to the log, the first three entries are starting motors and the usual two manual take offs. Good satellite lock at take off and maintained during the entire flight. After the first three entires the remainder of the flight was in p-god mode save the last 6 which were forced landing entires which is usually indicative of a landing initiated via holding down on the controller. No RTH was recorded. All indicative of a normal flight to me. But I am just learning to read flight logs so I hope JJB* will come along and give his wonderful insight and fill in where I missed.

If you look between 1.00 min to 1.20.6 sec you will note that the Mini was flying on its own (i.e. flyaway) without any remote movement. During this time I lost sight of the Mini a while before spotted it again then after 1.20.6 sec you can see that I tried in vain to take control of the Mini until I press the return home button (I was also surprise that this is not recorded in the logs, but yes i did press it), that's when I regain control of the Mini and manual land it. Hope this helps in diagnosing the issues..
2019-12-24
Use props
fans17de0bd1
lvl.1
Malaysia

fans17de0bd1 Posted at 12-24 21:09
If you look between 1.00 min to 1.20.6 sec you will note that the Mini was flying on its own (i.e. flyaway) without any remote movement. During this time I lost sight of the Mini a while before spotted it again then after 1.20.6 sec you can see that I tried in vain to take control of the Mini until I press the return home button (I was also surprise that this is not recorded in the logs, but yes i did press it), that's when I regain control of the Mini and manual land it. Hope this helps in diagnosing the issues..

Edit : There was a "Max engine something overload" displayed when it flew away.
2019-12-24
Use props
lannes
Captain
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

fans17de0bd1 Posted at 12-24 21:15
Edit : There was a "Max engine something overload" displayed when it flew away.

Your mini might of had a similar issue to this one

https://forum.dji.com/thread-203224-1-1.html

2019-12-26
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

fans17de0bd1 Posted at 12-24 19:40
This flight log is extracted from the DJI Fly using iTunes, a more detail log : https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/XDMIT6U4SOF8SVEVDL3M

Hi. Thank you for the additional information. I am sorry to know that you were not able to create a ticket online. For this matter, the best way to contact our designated support team in your region is by sending an email to ( support@dji.com ). Again, I am sorry for the trouble and thank you for your understanding.
2019-12-26
Use props
fans17de0bd1
lvl.1
Malaysia

lannes Posted at 12-26 04:11
Your mini might of had a similar issue to this one

https://forum.dji.com/thread-203224-1-1.html

I started this thread but was discussed and concluded in 2 other threads.

KlooGee in post # 141 wrote a detailed analysis (many thanks!)
See thread
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... id%3D712&page=4

Labroides in post # 9 gave his opinion and conclusion (many thanks too!)
See thread https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... p;extra=#pid2041312

Appears that the flyaway was cause by launching at a "magnetically dirty area".
I will put it under advisement. In the meantime, the Miini will still be grounded and keeping in view of the matter closely.

Greetings and Happy New Year to all!
2019-12-27
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

fans17de0bd1 Posted at 12-27 04:33
I started this thread but was discussed and concluded in 2 other threads.

KlooGee in post # 141 wrote a detailed analysis (many thanks!)

In the meantime, the Miini will still be grounded
There's no need to ground your drone.
Just don't launch from reinforced concrete surfaces.

If you want to understand what happened, search for yaw error.
2019-12-27
Use props
JJB*
Captain
Flight distance : 12165479 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

JodyB Posted at 12-24 20:18
According to the log, the first three entries are starting motors and the usual two manual take offs. Good satellite lock at take off and maintained during the entire flight. After the first three entires the remainder of the flight was in p-god mode save the last 6 which were forced landing entires which is usually indicative of a landing initiated via holding down on the controller. No RTH was recorded. All indicative of a normal flight to me. But I am just learning to read flight logs so I hope JJB* will come along and give his wonderful insight and fill in where I missed.

Hi Jody,

It has been said already by others, compass heading switched almost 140 degrees offset after hovering some time at 25 meters height, and after 1 minute in flight.

Normally when taking off from not suitable ground (rebar etc) shortly after takeoff the compass goes weird, but in this flight craft was hovering at 25 meters at that height for about 20 seconds when this happend.
So i think its a proper compass or IMU fail (sending wrong data or computing good data in wrong data) and not a compass fail due to magnetic interference.
I have seen few flights where the the compass values suddenly indicates (almost) opposite values, even after flying for minutes at 400 feet. (no magn interference)
Just my 2 cents.

BTW chart where the blue line indicates the move line without  any pitch/roll input.

cheers
JJB

analysis1.png
2019-12-27
Use props
JodyB
Captain
  • >>>
United States

JJB* Posted at 12-27 05:23
Hi Jody,

It has been said already by others, compass heading switched almost 140 degrees offset after hovering some time at 25 meters height, and after 1 minute in flight.

That makes sense. Thank you for the explanation JJB*. Seeing a dramatic compass change in an incorrect direction, could that cause a drone to compensate for wind in the wrong direction as well?? Say if drone "thinks" it is facing east and is actually facing west, and a small wind gust hit it from the east, would it try to compensate incorrectly and end up going really fast in the same direction as the wind "on it's own" so to speak?
2019-12-27
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

JJB* Posted at 12-27 05:23
Hi Jody,

Normally when taking off from not suitable ground (rebar etc) shortly after takeoff the compass goes weird, but in this flight craft was hovering at 25 meters at that height for about 20 seconds when this happend.

Yaw Errors can and often happen well after launching.
They are quite variable because the amount of error in the compass initialising can be large or small.
The start when the drone tries to correct the movement it detects.
Because the IMU yaw value is incorrect, the correcting movement puts the drone further off course and it keeps trying to correct, getting faster and further away.

2019-12-27
Use props
JJB*
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

JodyB Posted at 12-27 05:41
That makes sense. Thank you for the explanation JJB*. Seeing a dramatic compass change in an incorrect direction, could that cause a drone to compensate for wind in the wrong direction as well?? Say if drone "thinks" it is facing east and is actually facing west, and a small wind gust hit it from the east, would it try to compensate incorrectly and end up going really fast in the same direction as the wind "on it's own" so to speak?

Correct, the correction needed to maintain a stabilized hover is the oppose correction if the compass heading is 180 degrees offset. So it will try to correct more and more and more....
Less dramatic of offset is less than 180 but it will always 'fly-away' in a toilet bowl movement.
By RC input the craft is controllable but not that easy ofcourse.

2019-12-27
Use props
JJB*
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Labroides Posted at 12-27 05:43

Yaw Errors can and often happen well after launching.

The first yaw input gave some yaw incorrect values, after steady for some time suddenly the 140 degrees offset.
So possible compass disturbed at ground level or more than just that (thus a more serious problem).  We will never know  ;-)

cheers
JJB
analysis1.png
2019-12-27
Use props
JodyB
Captain
  • >>>
United States

JJB* Posted at 12-27 06:21
Correct, the correction needed to maintain a stabilized hover is the oppose correction if the compass heading is 180 degrees offset. So it will try to correct more and more and more....
Less dramatic of offset is less than 180 but it will always 'fly-away' in a toilet bowl movement.
By RC input the craft is controllable but not that easy ofcourse.

Would that also affect RC controls? Like when the drone is facing away from you pushing the stick to the left would yield a strafe left and given an incorrect compass heading of 180 off, would the same make it strafe right?
2019-12-27
Use props
JJB*
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

JodyB Posted at 12-27 08:47
Would that also affect RC controls? Like when the drone is facing away from you pushing the stick to the left would yield a strafe left and given an incorrect compass heading of 180 off, would the same make it strafe right?

Does not affect RC input, RC fwd input = fwd input to the drone. (and all other directions ofcourse)

Only when the software is correction the position (with a compass yaw error) to keep it stabilized if will correct the wrong way.

i.e. ; drone facing north, (but sw thinks its facing south), wind disturbance from the left to the drone means it has to steer left roll to correct. But as it thinks it flying south it will steer right....getting worse and worse....

cheers
JJB
2019-12-27
Use props
JodyB
Captain
  • >>>
United States

JJB* Posted at 12-27 09:27
Does not affect RC input, RC fwd input = fwd input to the drone. (and all other directions ofcourse)

Only when the software is correction the position (with a compass yaw error) to keep it stabilized if will correct the wrong way.

Gotcha, thank you so much JJB*. You have taught me something and I find the way this affects the drone in this manner very interesting. Not enough to conduct my own experiments on purpose mind you, lol. But it will at least allow me to have the mind set to know how to react and be more prepared if it happens to me. And hopefully anyone else that might need that info!
2019-12-27
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Captain
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

I have to post a flight a had where something weird happened with the compass, it was over a cliff so it got me really nervous.
2019-12-27
Use props
JJB*
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

JodyB Posted at 12-27 09:30
Gotcha, thank you so much JJB*. You have taught me something and I find the way this affects the drone in this manner very interesting. Not enough to conduct my own experiments on purpose mind you, lol. But it will at least allow me to have the mind set to know how to react and be more prepared if it happens to me. And hopefully anyone else that might need that info!

My pleasure Jody,

Pre and after take off checks will cover some compass errors, i mean  you will notice them and stop flying.

What i do for my first flight of the day (all equipment is on) (and ofcourse if there is enough free space, if not, uh  take the risk of not doing this)
- put craft on the ground to a heading wich you know wich heading it is (approx)
- walk 5 meters backwards, such that RC is pointing towards back of the craft
- check if aircraft heading is correct in the map view [ if not than compass drone is wrong ]
- check if craft orientation is correct in the fly app (not always good on the ground but oke in the hover i have noticed for my MM)
- bring to hover height of 5 meter and fly forward about 5 - 10 meters
- check if craft orientation is correct in the fly app [ if arrow is right direction pointing but not in the middle of the 180 compass scale ; device compass is wrong ]
- make left and right hover turns, check if arrow is moving with the craft movement.
- if all oke than fly left, right, up and down, land and takeoff again.
- all oke  start flying!

cheers
JJB
2019-12-27
Use props
JodyB
Captain
  • >>>
United States

JJB* Posted at 12-27 10:56
My pleasure Jody,

Pre and after take off checks will cover some compass errors, i mean  you will notice them and stop flying.

That's pretty much what I do. And probably what has kept me from joining the plethora of fly away posts on here too!! I don't believe in luck so I think having a procedure like a preflight checklist and doing it each and everytime helps keep troubles down to a minimum. Of course there's always the possibility of a failure, but at least doing those steps will help cut down on that before being in the air.
2019-12-27
Use props
fans17de0bd1
lvl.1
Malaysia

My pleasure Jody,

Thanks JJB. The thought of checking the position of the small triangle AC on the map on all my flying never crossed my mind at all.

My usual routine before flying: check pre-flight - in this order - (1) compass calibration- ok, (2) IMU calibration- ok, (3) satellite more than 9 - ok , (4) update home point manually - ok, (5) AC batt more than 80% - ok; (6) remote batt more than 80% - ok, (7) Radio Chanel - Good- ok (8) start engine, manual take off- AC hovering in place around 3-5 meters- ok- (9) raise to 10-20 meters, AC hover in place - ok - (10) Turn left, yaw left, and for the right - ok (10) check wind condition, trees, wires, kites etc- ok- (11) start flying.   

I will now add checking the pointing position of the AC in the map on my list above.
2019-12-27
Use props
The Saint
Captain
Flight distance : 5575873 ft
  • >>>
United States

pretty soon it's going to take more to get the mavic mini off the ground safely than a 747.

we're going in the wrong direction.  
2019-12-27
Use props
lannes
Captain
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

fans17de0bd1 Posted at 12-27 18:58
Thanks JJB. The thought of checking the position of the small triangle AC on the map on all my flying never crossed my mind at all.

My usual routine before flying: check pre-flight - in this order - (1) compass calibration- ok, (2) IMU calibration- ok, (3) satellite more than 9 - ok , (4) update home point manually - ok, (5) AC batt more than 80% - ok; (6) remote batt more than 80% - ok, (7) Radio Chanel - Good- ok (8) start engine, manual take off- AC hovering in place around 3-5 meters- ok- (9) raise to 10-20 meters, AC hover in place - ok - (10) Turn left, yaw left, and for the right - ok (10) check wind condition, trees, wires, kites etc- ok- (11) start flying.   

You forgot to check the EMF detector  

2019-12-27
Use props
fans17de0bd1
lvl.1
Malaysia

Labroides Posted at 12-27 05:11
In the meantime, the Miini will still be grounded
There's no need to ground your drone.
Just don't launch from reinforced concrete surfaces.

Thanks Labroides. I took the Mini for a short flight. Right after starting AC,  "compass need calibration" warning came on. Calibrated compass, AC flew ok, everything looks fine now. I will take it for another longer flight later in the day.   
2019-12-27
Use props
fans17de0bd1
lvl.1
Malaysia

lannes Posted at 12-27 19:30
You forgot to check the EMF detector  

Also NFZ , I've heard the Mini will autoland when it crosses one, there is apparently no warning

Also NFZ , because the Mini will autoland when it crosses one, there is apparently no warning
I have took it near a "Geo Zones" (blue zone) and flew into it, AC did not auto land though, but stops and hover at the edge of the Geo Zone, like flying into an "invisible wall". Not too sure about the red zone, as cant get the AC to fly as take off  is not permitted.
2019-12-27
Use props
JJB*
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

The Saint Posted at 12-27 19:15
pretty soon it's going to take more to get the mavic mini off the ground safely than a 747.

we're going in the wrong direction.

Well, its your own choice how to start a flight; just press  the ON button on RC and Craft and fly away....  forget all the checks!   ;-))

cheers
JJB
2019-12-28
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Captain
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

JodyB Posted at 12-27 11:18
That's pretty much what I do. And probably what has kept me from joining the plethora of fly away posts on here too!! I don't believe in luck so I think having a procedure like a preflight checklist and doing it each and everytime helps keep troubles down to a minimum. Of course there's always the possibility of a failure, but at least doing those steps will help cut down on that before being in the air.

Well said there is nothing like risk free,specially with an unmanned aircraft, checklist do help a lot.
2019-12-28
Use props
the1shark
lvl.4
Flight distance : 43156 ft
Israel

My pleasure Jody,

In regards to "device compass is wrong" meaning the phone compass is wrong, I realy can't seem to understand how this is possible. My iphone (iPhone Xr) works perfectly with any application that requires compass data. The only application having an issues with compass data generated by the phone is DJI fly..
2019-12-28
Use props
JJB*
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

the1shark Posted at 12-28 05:05
In regards to "device compass is wrong" meaning the phone compass is wrong, I realy can't seem to understand how this is possible. My iphone (iPhone Xr) works perfectly with any application that requires compass data. The only application having an issues with compass data generated by the phone is DJI fly..

oke, i have android devices (several) and when their compass are not calibrated i see this in the GoApp and FlyApp. So a good calibrated mobile device compass is needed for correct aircraft orientation in the boh apps.

Cannot comment on your saying as i have no iOS devices.

cheers
JJB

2019-12-28
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules