Crash
889 10 2019-12-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Michael50211
lvl.2
Flight distance : 43107 ft
United States

Decided to bring my Air on vacation to get some great shots of the ocean.

Took it for a small flight at the house we are staying at, it took off no issues everything is normal all of a sudden the Air just took off on its own and crashed into a house.  I couldn’t control it and the object detection failed. While this even unfolded I notice on the screen it said Main Controller Failure.    I recovered the drone and unfortunately it broke off the arms

Since I am on vacation and wanted the shots I drop more $$$ on a air and had another delivered today.  I set it up perform the latest updates for both the drone and controller and took it for a test flight.

It took off no issues tested out the object avoidance all checked out.   2 mins in it was just hovering in the drive way and again just as before it turned on its own and moved forward and hit the wall.

Thankfully it didn’t break anything as it wasn’t going fast  but I no longer feel comfortable flying because of this event happening on 2 units.

Anyone else having issues or had issues like this?
2019-12-24
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi, I am sorry to know about this unfortunate incident and thank you for sharing your insights. Since there are multiple crashes that happened on the said drone there might be internal damages that we need to check. I would recommend for you to contact our support team to start up a ticket at ( https://repair.dji.com/repair/index ). We have the professional team who would do their best to assists you with regards to this matter. We hope to hear from you as soon as possible for a swift resolution. Thank you.
2019-12-24
Use props
Michael50211
lvl.2
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 12-24 15:31
Hi, I am sorry to know about this unfortunate incident and thank you for sharing your insights. Since there are multiple crashes that happened on the said drone there might be internal damages that we need to check. I would recommend for you to contact our support team to start up a ticket at ( https://repair.dji.com/repair/index ). We have the professional team who would do their best to assists you with regards to this matter. We hope to hear from you as soon as possible for a swift resolution. Thank you.

No the same event happened on 2 air drones running the latest firmware,   Also starting to see posts of other users having the same experience I had.  
2019-12-24
Use props
Tomcatuk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 28743 ft
United Kingdom

My first thought would be to move to another location away from anything and try again, maybe interference from something but would certainly worry me if that happened.
Shame the DJI mods don't read to well about you spending more money on another Air... :-) :-)
2019-12-25
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Could be magnetic interference on the compass, is there a lot of wrought iron or rebar around the location where you are flying.

Did you check the compass to see if the interference readings were higher than normal
2019-12-25
Use props
Michael50211
lvl.2
United States

lannes Posted at 12-25 01:20
Could be magnetic interference on the compass, is there a lot of wrought iron or rebar around the location where you are flying.

Did you check the compass to see if the interference readings were higher than normal

Everything was normal upon take off.  The second Air that crashed was just hovering and it turned on its own and started to move forward very slowly.  Everything I tried on the controller to stop it was unresponsive.   
2019-12-25
Use props
Michael50211
lvl.2
United States

lannes Posted at 12-25 01:20
Could be magnetic interference on the compass, is there a lot of wrought iron or rebar around the location where you are flying.

Also the obstacle avoidance didn’t even kick in on either unit.  
2019-12-25
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Michael50211 Posted at 12-25 04:46
Also the obstacle avoidance didn’t even kick in on either unit.

Did you get a strong GPS fix, you need at least 11 satellites and the home point was set before taking off.
Did you get any compass intereference warnings

These flights weren't at night were they, because obstacle avoidance doesn't work in low light

To have 2 mavic air's fail in the same type of circumstance is extremely rare, there is something strange about your take-off environment, can you describe where you are taking off from e.g is it from an iron roof surround by cast iron railings and a nest of mobile phone aerials

Did you get these type of errors on both AC's

Main Controller Data Error
IMU Calibration required
Accelerometer failed
Gimbal cannot receive main controller data

2019-12-25
Use props
Michael50211
lvl.2
United States

lannes Posted at 12-25 12:58
Did you get a strong GPS fix, you need at least 11 satellites and the home point was set before taking off.

The first Air gave the main controller error before it fell out of the sky and crashed.    DJI support says it was my fault because it went into atti mode.

I was flying out in the middle of a field with nothing around when the first crash happened.     The second drone was again outside but in a driveway doing tests to make sure nothing happen.  The second Air was flying around no issues and would stop when close to objects and like I stated before it turned on its own and headed straight into the garage wall and crashed.   Again DJI support says my fault even thought 2 mins earlier it was working just fine and stopping for objects.  
DC872BE7-ADA0-4287-B03E-EFDDBEDA8031.jpeg
02747898-464F-436A-85B4-93EF94AC42C5.jpeg
2019-12-28
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

lannes Posted at 12-25 12:58

You need at least 5.  I've flown with 8.  It doesn't matter if you have 18, some people still had a flyway.  Too many things can cause a failure w/ the electronics.  A bug could crawl in and short it.  A huge mineral fog layer can also short components.  Chem trails, and other things can short components.  The engineers just do such a good job to make things look like it's easy but it's the combination of the code and PCB parts working together that make it do what we want.
2019-12-28
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

As always, you need to post the recorded flight data before anyone can see what actually happened.
Without data, you'll get people guessing and most will be wrong.
SOme of what's been suggested already is obviously not correct.

But from your description, there are two obvious possibilities.
One possibility is that the drone's skyview was poor and you launched without GPS position holding, allowing the drone to be blown towards an obstacle.
Another is that you launched from too close to something steel and gave your drone a Yaw Error which would have made the drone appear to fly away.

Post data and we'll find out what really happened.
2019-12-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules