Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Mini Flyaway
123456Next >
10006 211 2019-12-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansdb984e64
First Officer
Flight distance : 281880 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Hello,

i had a straight and clear Flyaway on 15.12.2019 with my Mavic Mini. I tried to find it but no chance. It just flew away. Yesterday i opened a thread but the DJI „Support“ deleted it, which i dont understand why. This is customer Service for DJI. I waiting now for a call from the Manager Support from DJI, hope they understand what i experienced.

Greetings
2019-12-24
Use props
fans17de0bd1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 750226 ft
Malaysia

This is what I wrote in my thread:
I have flown the Mavic Mini several times and it flown perfectly fine. Took  the Mini to beach today and shortly after take off the Mini flown away on its own. I have own several DJI drones, I am at level 23 on the DJI go app. This is the first time that happened to me.  I could not control the Mini at all using the remote controller. It just flew on its own erratically. I manage to recover the Mini by hitting the “return home button” on the controller, the Mini stops mid flight and all controls are available again after hitting return home button. I was lucky that the Mini went flying on its own right after take off which I still have clear line of sight on the drone. I manage to recover the Mini without any damage.

This is clearly a firmware issue and DJI needs to look at it. I will not fly the Mini any further until this issue is solved.
2019-12-24
Use props
JodyB
Captain
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

Post your flight logs so some of the folks that do an awesome job of deciphering them can tell you more about what happened.
2019-12-24
Use props
jonny007
Captain
Germany

Thread deleted ?
I don't know if you can say that it is a generally firmware problem. Then ALL minis would have to fly away or not ? I think there must be several problems that lead to an "unwanted flyaway". Compass not calibrated, too few satellites, wind gusts, interference ... just the usual disturbances.
2019-12-24
Use props
FernandoSedrez
lvl.1
Flight distance : 23993 ft
Brazil

fans17de0bd1 Posted at 12-24 17:44
This is what I wrote in my thread:
I have flown the Mavic Mini several times and it flown perfectly fine. Took  the Mini to beach today and shortly after take off the Mini flown away on its own. I have own several DJI drones, I am at level 23 on the DJI go app. This is the first time that happened to me.  I could not control the Mini at all using the remote controller. It just flew on its own erratically. I manage to recover the Mini by hitting the “return home button” on the controller, the Mini stops mid flight and all controls are available again after hitting return home button. I was lucky that the Mini went flying on its own right after take off which I still have clear line of sight on the drone. I manage to recover the Mini without any damage.

Yes man, please post your flight log so they can check what happened and hopefully be fixed soon
2019-12-24
Use props
fansdb984e64
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

The connection between aircraft and controller/smart device was complete gone, no chance to reapond or bring back the mavic mini, this has nothing to do with calibrating anything because dji says if the connection gets los the drone comes back rth but it didnt, it doesnt even wanted to come back, this was the first time i experienced that, no possibility to remote the drone again in no way
2019-12-24
Use props
WSUPolar
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2241375 ft
United States

fansdb984e64 Posted at 12-24 18:28
The connection between aircraft and controller/smart device was complete gone, no chance to reapond or bring back the mavic mini, this has nothing to do with calibrating anything because dji says if the connection gets los the drone comes back rth but it didnt, it doesnt even wanted to come back, this was the first time i experienced that, no possibility to remote the drone again in no way

Please share the flight log.
2019-12-24
Use props
JodyB
Captain
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

fansdb984e64 Posted at 12-24 18:28

That is why it’s important to post your flight log. You can use phantomhelp DJI log viewer to see it yourself and copy the link and paste it here to get help with it.
2019-12-24
Use props
fans17de0bd1
lvl.1
Malaysia

jonny007 Posted at 12-24 18:15
Thread deleted ?
I don't know if you can say that it is a generally firmware problem. Then ALL minis would have to fly away or not ? I think there must be several problems that lead to an "unwanted flyaway". Compass not calibrated, too few satellites, wind gusts, interference ... just the usual disturbances.

Flight logs extracted from Airdata: https://app.airdata.com/share/bdzOaF
According to logs :
Satellite lowest count : 14
Wind : 5 miles
Compass : 22.20 (green- no issues)
signal score : 100 %
2019-12-24
Use props
fans17de0bd1
lvl.1
Malaysia

JodyB Posted at 12-24 17:50
Post your flight logs so some of the folks that do an awesome job of deciphering them can tell you more about what happened.

According to logs :
Wind : 5 miles
Compass : 22.20 (green- no issues)
signal score : 100 %
2019-12-24
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

fans17de0bd1 Posted at 12-24 18:52
According to logs :

That does not help us understand what happened. Go to this link and follow the instructions: https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/ Then copy the link to the results and come back here and post the link.
2019-12-24
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi there, the thread was not deleted, it was moved to the Service sub-forum for a better follow-up, appreciate your understanding.
We have escalated your case to the higher-level team for assistance, please wait patiently for further communication, thank you.

2019-12-24
Use props
fans17de0bd1
lvl.1
Malaysia

Geebax Posted at 12-24 18:59
That does not help us understand what happened. Go to this link and follow the instructions: https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/ Then copy the link to the results and come back here and post the link.

Thanks for the assists. Here it is : https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/XDMIT6U4SOF8SVEVDL3M
2019-12-24
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

fans17de0bd1 Posted at 12-24 19:33
Thanks for the assists. Here it is : https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/XDMIT6U4SOF8SVEVDL3M

OK, I have had a look at the flight, but nothing seems out of the usual except a Forced Landing in the last three seconds of flight. But as to why? I don't know.
2019-12-24
Use props
fans17de0bd1
lvl.1
Malaysia

Geebax Posted at 12-24 21:22
OK, I have had a look at the flight, but nothing seems out of the usual except a Forced Landing in the last three seconds of flight. But as to why? I don't know.

Can you look at between 1.00 min to 1.20.6 sec, you can see that the Mini was flying without any remote movement (i.e. flyaway) after that tried in vain to get control of the Mini... hope this helps.. there is no strong wind also..
2019-12-24
Use props
fans17de0bd1
lvl.1
Malaysia

fans17de0bd1 Posted at 12-24 21:27
Can you look at between 1.00 min to 1.20.6 sec, you can see that the Mini was flying without any remote movement (i.e. flyaway) after that tried in vain to get control of the Mini... hope this helps.. there is no strong wind also..

Edit : you will also note that my control movement was not corresponding with the movement of the Mini in the log, hence losing control of the drone. Only then when i hit the return home button that it became responsive thats when i manual land the Mini.
2019-12-24
Use props
the1shark
lvl.4
Flight distance : 43156 ft
Israel

Geebax Posted at 12-24 18:59

You all keep saying that phantomhelp.com has a beeter way to understand what happend.
I find the information presented in Iredata much detailed and they also allows you to run the flight while looking at the information as logged at that point in time Including the error messages that appeared on the phone screen.
So what am I missing ?  phantomhelp.com provide nothing but a scroller ..
Is there a hidden menu somewhere I missed?
2019-12-24
Use props
Nidge
Captain

United Kingdom

I see you had multiple “Not enough force / ESC error” messages. These appear to correlate with you flying into the wind as reported by the weather table. Wind speed was recorded at 5mph but this can vary quite significantly with altitude. It has been suggested that some previously reported flyaways of the Mavic Mini have been attributed to relatively strong winds. The MM uses only a 2cell battery, the motors and props are small. Factor in the light All Up Weight, and the power limits to extend flight time, and a significant head wind will over power the Mavic Mini’s ability to hold position and course.

Nidge.
2019-12-25
Use props
fans17de0bd1
lvl.1
Malaysia

Nidge Posted at 12-25 02:07
I see you had multiple “Not enough force / ESC error” messages. These appear to correlate with you flying into the wind as reported by the weather table. Wind speed was recorded at 5mph but this can vary quite significantly with altitude. It has been suggested that some previously reported flyaways of the Mavic Mini have been attributed to relatively strong winds. The MM uses only a 2cell battery, the motors and props are small. Factor in the light All Up Weight, and the power limits to extend flight time, and a significant head wind will over power the Mavic Mini’s ability to hold position and course.

Nidge.

Thanks for your observation. Height was around 30-40 meter or lower. As I have report. I have line of sight of the Mini. It was definitely flying on its own turning with max power (by sound). The Mini was not far away from where I am. Probably around 30 ft to 50 ft away. I saw the whole fly away. This is serious. DJI really needs to address this. BTW, it is not windy at all, I own several DJI drones. I am at level 23 at DJi Go app.
2019-12-25
Use props
fans17de0bd1
lvl.1
Malaysia

fans17de0bd1 Posted at 12-25 03:16
Thanks for your observation. Height was around 30-40 meter or lower. As I have report. I have line of sight of the Mini. It was definitely flying on its own turning with max power (by sound). The Mini was not far away from where I am. Probably around 30 ft to 50 ft away. I saw the whole fly away. This is serious. DJI really needs to address this. BTW, it is not windy at all, I own several DJI drones. I am at level 23 at DJi Go app.

Edit: FYI, I am not claiming any warranty from DJi. The Mini landed safely and no damage. I want to share this issue as I feel that it is serious. I was lucky. I am grounding my Mini for now. It may not be for another Mini owner. DJi please address this issue.
2019-12-25
Use props
fansdb984e64
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Hello,

here is the flight log link: https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/772830AT2JWX2QUKNFJC/
2019-12-25
Use props
fansdb984e64
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

and from the other page: https://app.airdata.com/flight/c3fd3003516d68ccdd50af4cb8fd5024/GENERAL

2019-12-25
Use props
fansdb984e64
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

What das this mean what i marked
A06D153D-3179-410D-B0AE-0EA609EFB062.jpeg
2019-12-25
Use props
Keule
Captain
Flight distance : 3733015 ft
  • >>>
Germany

fansdb984e64 Posted at 12-25 06:17
What das this mean what i marked

Your aircraft has been blown backwards by the wind after RTH was initiated at 9m20s
2019-12-25
Use props
ABeardedItalian
First Officer
Flight distance : 1063107 ft
United States

Were you on the latest firmware?
2019-12-25
Use props
fansdb984e64
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

But why did rth not worked? On that day the wind was usual as on the flights before, and on my ipad screen it lost everything, no picture nothing
2019-12-25
Use props
fansdb984e64
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Yes i did a firmware update one day before ob the newest version
2019-12-25
Use props
Keule
Captain
  • >>>
Germany

fansdb984e64 Posted at 12-25 06:41
But why did rth not worked? On that day the wind was usual as on the flights before, and on my ipad screen it lost everything, no picture nothing

RTH did work. Just look at the log.
But the aircraft was unable to overcome the wind.
You made no attempt to lower aircraft's altitude or switching to Sport mode to gain more speed and fly home manually.

Here the wind speed from your flight: (Can also be found at the Airdata website -> Weather -> InFlight wind)

2019-12-25
Use props
fansdb984e64
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

i tried everything.There was no respons  Obviously. No picture on the screen. I tried to Maneuver it manually but nothing. I switched also to sportsmode, but because of no connection obviously there was no chance for me.
2019-12-25
Use props
Keule
Captain
  • >>>
Germany

fansdb984e64 Posted at 12-25 06:57
i tried everything.There was no respons  Obviously. No picture on the screen. I tried to Maneuver it manually but nothing. I switched also to sportsmode, but because of no connection obviously there was no chance for me.

A short interpretation of your flight log:
383s RTH initiated
456s RTH canceled
485s you applied throttle down and the aircraft descended from 144m to 137m
         after a few seconds, you attempted 4 times push the elevator forward with minimal to no effect
510s and later no further control input (aircraft still moving backwards at max. 2.6m/sec)
560s RTH initiated again
574s log ended
2019-12-25
Use props
jonny007
Captain
Germany

Boah, wauisaui ... ähm I mean ;-) agree with keule ...40km/h wind...on ground or in flight height which was nearly 150m ? (in flight wind option isn't available in free version of air data) If at ground the wind speed easily doubles at 150m. I want to see a little drone that does it, especially in p-mode, so I would say no chance for the mini.
2019-12-25
Use props
jonny007
Captain
Germany

Postscript : ALWAYS fly FIRST against wind, on way back home WITH wind...never ever inversely
2019-12-25
Use props
fansdb984e64
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Keule Posted at 12-25 07:28
A short interpretation of your flight log:
383s RTH initiated
456s RTH canceled

My interpratation is my experiece, i hope you understand. My feeling was that i had no controll at all about the mavic mini, first. Second if i feel a strong wind or bad weather conditions i would never start my drone, especially not the Mavic Mini. On this day i can say for sure that there was no difference between the orher days i flew before in terms of weather condition. So combined with the whole process and the fact that the drone never reactet, not even a little bit on my inputs confirmed my feeling/experience that this was not my fault and if DJi will not replace this Drone it was my last one from this Company. Caude i already have a Mavic 2 Pro and a DJi Smart Controller and and and... just for let dji know what im talking about. Good evening from Germany
2019-12-25
Use props
ABeardedItalian
First Officer
Flight distance : 1063107 ft
United States

fansdb984e64 Posted at 12-25 07:51
My interpratation is my experiece, i hope you understand. My feeling was that i had no controll at all about the mavic mini, first. Second if i feel a strong wind or bad weather conditions i would never start my drone, especially not the Mavic Mini. On this day i can say for sure that there was no difference between the orher days i flew before in terms of weather condition. So combined with the whole process and the fact that the drone never reactet, not even a little bit on my inputs confirmed my feeling/experience that this was not my fault and if DJi will not replace this Drone it was my last one from this Company. Caude i already have a Mavic 2 Pro and a DJi Smart Controller and and and... just for let dji know what im talking about. Good evening from Germany

I understand you thought it was the same weather as your previous flights but an experienced pilot would check the wind reports for different altitudes pre flight. I can't see the wind personally so I like to use these maps like windy/ventusky/uavforcast as a second or third opinion before I take off.
2019-12-25
Use props
driftking.de
lvl.1
Flight distance : 27897 ft
Germany

Hello,

Its really sounds like the fly away in my case (check below). My Mavic Mini also flew backwards more far away instead of comming home. DJI said it was because of strong wind, but there was no strong wind like the evidences in my post show!

https://forum.dji.com/thread-205076-1-1.html
2019-12-25
Use props
lannes
Captain
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

My interpratation is my experiece, i hope you understand. My feeling was that i had no controll at all about the mavic mini, first. Second if i feel a strong wind or bad weather conditions i would never start my drone, especially not the Mavic Mini. On this day i can say for sure that there was no difference between the orher days i flew before in terms of weather condition. So combined with the whole process and the fact that the drone never reactet, not even a little bit on my inputs confirmed my feeling/experience that this was not my fault and if DJi will not replace this Drone it was my last one from this Company. Caude i already have a Mavic 2 Pro and a DJi Smart Controller and and and... just for let dji know what im talking about. Good evening from Germany

Your Mavic 2 Pro is so much more powerful that the Mini and up to a point can easily handle wind speeds the mini cannot. 40kmh would have to be too much for the mini I suspect
2019-12-25
Use props
Cookster670
First Officer
Australia

My interpratation is my experiece, i hope you understand. My feeling was that i had no controll at all about the mavic mini, first. Second if i feel a strong wind or bad weather conditions i would never start my drone, especially not the Mavic Mini. On this day i can say for sure that there was no difference between the orher days i flew before in terms of weather condition. So combined with the whole process and the fact that the drone never reactet, not even a little bit on my inputs confirmed my feeling/experience that this was not my fault and if DJi will not replace this Drone it was my last one from this Company. Caude i already have a Mavic 2 Pro and a DJi Smart Controller and and and... just for let dji know what im talking about. Good evening from Germany

When you are in RTH, you cannot control the drone other than altitude and acceleration.   So if you tried to change stick direction while in RTH, it would have not responded.   The best thing to do is to cancel RTH and put it into sports mode.     RTH was trying to fly back but only in P mode and the wind was pushing it away
2019-12-25
Use props
fansdb984e64
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Cookster670 Posted at 12-25 16:01
When you are in RTH, you cannot control the drone other than altitude and acceleration.   So if you tried to change stick direction while in RTH, it would have not responded.   The best thing to do is to cancel RTH and put it into sports mode.     RTH was trying to fly back but only in P mode and the wind was pushing it away

Pls. Its not my firet flight with a drone okay?
2019-12-25
Use props
fansdb984e64
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

driftking.de Posted at 12-25 11:37
Hello,

Its really sounds like the fly away in my case (check below). My Mavic Mini also flew backwards more far away instead of comming home. DJI said it was because of strong wind, but there was no strong wind like the evidences in my post show!

I know exactly that it was a clear flyaway, im the last one who would not say if it was something different.
2019-12-25
Use props
fansdb984e64
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

lannes Posted at 12-25 14:16
Your Mavic 2 Pro is so much more powerful that the Mini and up to a point can easily handle wind speeds the mini cannot. 40kmh would have to be too much for the mini I suspect

I know that the mavic 2 is much more powerfull than the mavic mini. But it has nothing to do with the mavic 2 pro in this case. Its only about the mavic mini
2019-12-25
Use props
123456Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules