Looking for advice on drone purchase
1691 20 2019-12-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
greatjay
lvl.1

United States

Hi all,

I'm new to the drone world, but I've been wanting to get one for a long time. I'm not going to be a commercial user, and I don't plan to use it to for any professional type use. I'd just like to fly it occasionally and maybe get some cool pictures and videos. I do not know much about drones but a friend of mine has a dji brand drone and I've heard many good things about the brand so I'm looking at what all dji has to offer.

Basically I'd just like some advice from some drone users. I don't need the best drone out there, but I also don't wan't something that will fall short of my expectations. I've read that lighter smaller drones can be more suseptable to winds which will negatively affect your footage. I was looking at the phantom line. They seem to be pretty good, and from what I hear, can get some nice smooth footage and have some really nice features. I hear they have decent range and battery life.

But what do you guys think? What would be a decent drone for me to look into?

Any suggestions would be appreciated and feel free to ask me any questions on what I'm looking to do or want out of the drone.

Jay

2019-12-24
Use props
Beckie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1307795 ft
  • >>>
Canada

The Phantom 4 is excellent drone.  One of the best drone ever made. Also you can go with a Mavic pro . It’s more compact and similar capabilities.
2019-12-25
Use props
BA Drone Dude
lvl.2

United States

I agree with higher winds affecting smaller drones but I would still have to recommend the Tello. I have had mine for almost two years now and the pictures taken on it alone have stunned me. Given the correct weather conditions, the Tello can fly for about 15 minutes and the photos it is capable of taking can be absolutely beautiful.
2020-1-9
Use props
djiuser_zYxEvLR2r4UG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 422969 ft
United States

I would stay away from any DJI products. I have a Phantom 3 Pro and after it has ONLY  6 flights on it and being stored for half a year the controller won't work . Gives the dreaded flashing lights and will not charge. I bought a used controller for it [$150]  and it is now exhibiting the same problem . DJI products are garbage. Look up DJI controller issues on the internet before you buy and good luck to you if you purchase one.
2020-1-9
Use props
Beckie
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

djiuser_zYxEvLR2r4UG Posted at 1-9 10:04
I would stay away from any DJI products. I have a Phantom 3 Pro and after it has ONLY  6 flights on it and being stored for half a year the controller won't work . Gives the dreaded flashing lights and will not charge. I bought a used controller for it [$150]  and it is now exhibiting the same problem . DJI products are garbage. Look up DJI controller issues on the internet before you buy and good luck to you if you purchase one.

I don’t know why you have so many problems.  I do have from a Mavic mini up to the inspire series and between. I have no serious issues and problems.  I still highly recommend the phantom series. Not by mistake they bringing back the phantom 4 V 2.0.
2020-1-9
Use props
jezz
lvl.4
United States

Beckie Posted at 1-9 13:35
I don’t know why you have so many problems.  I do have from a Mavic mini up to the inspire series and between. I have no serious issues and problems.  I still highly recommend the phantom series. Not by mistake they bringing back the phantom 4 V 2.0.

Not just me

https://forum.dji.com/thread-49705-1-1.html
2020-1-11
Use props
djiuser_TKmaUUKPh6vF
lvl.2
Flight distance : 22133 ft
Australia

Hi!  I got recently a Mavic air and I realised that I have so much to learn. Actually it seems like I got this drone because the salesman told me to. I started reading the instructions included with the drone and then I started looking for more information through websites , YouTube videos and forums. I just wish if it was possible all this information to be in one single book. And I feel it is just the beggining. Through the time I learned about the rules of flying, about the dangers flying near airports, in populated areas or about the privacy. Also I am still looking for more information about what are the new government laws about drones heavier than 250 gr or the fines that people have to pay if don't follow the rules. At the same time I keep learning about the many settings of the app DJI go4 , bit by bit. I need time to understand the terms as settings. It is a little bit hard because English is not my native language. When I bought this drone , I though it was just a cool toy!
2020-1-12
Use props
Beckie
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

jezz Posted at 1-11 08:13
Not just me

https://forum.dji.com/thread-49705-1-1.html

I think it’s like . Some people like ford some do like gm .
2020-1-16
Use props
jezz
lvl.4
United States

Beckie Posted at 1-16 06:24

I like something that works after I've paid over $1000 for. Thats what I like, and if it does'nt then I like it to be fixed free of charge when it is a manufacture defect.
2020-1-16
Use props
jezz
lvl.4
United States

Beckie Posted at 1-16 06:24

I'm also  not brand loyal like alot of folks are. If you build and sell a piece of crap and don't back it up, then it does not matter who you are - it is still a piece of crap.
2020-1-16
Use props
Beckie
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

jezz Posted at 1-16 07:47
I'm also  not brand loyal like alot of folks are. If you build and sell a piece of crap and don't back it up, then it does not matter who you are - it is still a piece of crap.

I’m sorry you so disappointed. In my experience not like this. Regularly fly phantom 4 V2.0.  Inspire, Mavic pro mini etc.. with miner issues. I spent over 18k over drones.  Even fly in light rain and minus 40. What’s is not recommended but have no problems.
2020-1-16
Use props
Beckie
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Beckie Posted at 1-16 08:47
I’m sorry you so disappointed. In my experience not like this. Regularly fly phantom 4 V2.0.  Inspire, Mavic pro mini etc.. with miner issues. I spent over 18k over drones.  Even fly in light rain and minus 40. What’s is not recommended but have no problems.[view_image]

2020-1-16
Use props
jezz
lvl.4
United States

24 Total Flights so far.  Im on the second controller due to controller failures  as numerous other DJI drone owners have experienced with no solutions from DJI and no recalls on a product with design and failure problems. 24 FLIGHTS  later with NO CRASHES OR ROUGH LANDINGS  3 of the arm/motor mounts have stress cracks in them . Still have stock original props on them . Do stress crack search ON DJI FORUM  and you will see the problems people are having. Mine is not covered by warranty as I never fly it enough before they develop. The fact is DJI knew about it and should have  issued a recall on the affected units. Dji just sucks - period. I will never give them another of my hard earned money.

stress crack #1

stress crack #1
2020-1-16
Use props
jezz
lvl.4
United States

jezz Posted at 1-16 09:47
24 Total Flights so far.  Im on the second controller due to controller failures  as numerous other DJI drone owners have experienced with no solutions from DJI and no recalls on a product with design and failure problems. 24 FIGHTS  later with NO CRASHES OR ROUGH LANDINGS  3 of the arm/motor mounts have stress cracks in them . Still have stock original props on them . Do stress crack search ON DJI FORUM  and you will see the problems people are having. Mine is not covered by warranty as I never fly it enough before they develop. The fact is DJI knew about it and should have  issued a recall on the affected units. Dji just sucks - period. I will never give them another of my hard earned money.

Not trying to be rude or such but if you purchase one and get a good one then good for you. As for myself,  I prefer not to gamble with my money  - especially on a company  with a track record of lackluster support.

p2.jpg
p3.jpg
2020-1-16
Use props
jezz
lvl.4
United States

jezz Posted at 1-16 09:58
Not trying to be rude or such but if you purchase one and get a good one then good for you. As for myself,  I prefer not to gamble with my money  - especially on a company  with a track record of lackluster support.

Well protected when stored

p5.jpg
2020-1-16
Use props
jezz
lvl.4
United States

Beautiful  picture by the way
2020-1-16
Use props
Koolaid
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5397 ft

United States

Look at the dji platinum pro I have been the proud owner of one for two years and it never let me down
2020-1-16
Use props
Beckie
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Koolaid Posted at 1-16 11:57
Look at the dji platinum pro I have been the proud owner of one for two years and it never let me down

I’m just heading to Alaska a few weeks from now. Taking phantom Mavic pro and mini also 2 inspires with me. I use my drones in harsh conditions but also takin care of them.. so far never let me done any of them. I can only speak of my experience.
2020-1-16
Use props
Beckie
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Beckie Posted at 1-16 12:31
I’m just heading to Alaska a few weeks from now. Taking phantom Mavic pro and mini also 2 inspires with me. I use my drones in harsh conditions but also takin care of them.. so far never let me done any of them. I can only speak of my experience.[view_image]

2020-1-16
Use props
Beckie
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Some cases is so cold I’m wrapped the battery.
2020-1-16
Use props
Beckie
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Beckie Posted at 1-16 12:37
Some cases is so cold I’m wrapped the battery.[view_image]

2020-1-16
Use props
Advanced