Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Mini - Fly away - CAS-3871863-Z6M1L6
2098 7 2019-12-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
driftking.de
lvl.1
Flight distance : 27897 ft
Germany

Hello everybody,

My Mavic Mini flew away instead of comming home (check video 1 at flight-time 5:00min). The drone was drifting backwards in the mountains.

The DJI support said it was because of strong wind. But there wasnt strong wind. I cant understand why there is a strong wind notification in the flight record. As evidence you can see the official weather records and also video 2 and 3 which are made by my girlfriend 5 minutes before the flight. On the videos you can even see the
Mountain "Zucco Orscella" where was no strong wind and where the fly away happend!

DJI offered me 15% discount fo a replacement Mavic Mini. I even dont know how much is a replacement Mavic Mini?!

I'm very disappointed about the support. Its not my first DJI drone and I cannot understand why DJI dont want to fullfil warranty in this case. The drone was brand new.

Does anybody know what I can do in this case?
Can a DJI moderator escalate my case to the supervisor-team?

I wish everybody merry christmas!

Case: CAS-3871863-Z6M1L6

Video 1:
https://youtu.be/lD6FV_MyooU

Video 2:

https://youtu.be/QPfHCocw_Hc

Video 3:

https://youtu.be/S9jlFxUUx2Q

https://youtu.be/lD6FV_MyooU

https://youtu.be/QPfHCocw_Hc

https://youtu.be/S9jlFxUUx2Q
Screenshot_20191223-232957~2.png
2019-12-25
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi there, we are so sorry for your loss, upon checking your case, the accident was caused due to the improper flight environment, the APP popped-up the strong wind warning at 00:20, and the data also shows the aircraft tilted 10.4 degrees forward to resist the wind without any input.
The wind in the air is different from the wind on the ground, but your concern will be escalated to the higher-level team for further follow-up, we will have someone to contact you soon in working hours, please wait patiently, thank you.
2019-12-25
Use props
driftking.de
lvl.1
Flight distance : 27897 ft
Germany

DJI Mindy Posted at 12-25 05:31
Hi there, we are so sorry for your loss, upon checking your case, the accident was caused due to the improper flight environment, the APP popped-up the strong wind warning at 00:20, and the data also shows the aircraft tilted 10.4 degrees forward to resist the wind without any input.
The wind in the air is different from the wind on the ground, but your concern will be escalated to the higher-level team for further follow-up, we will have someone to contact you soon in working hours, please wait patiently, thank you.

Thank you!

But there was really no wind, like you can see in the weather-record and in the videos.

I also cant understand the warning in the beginning because the drone was near to me at this time. There was absolutly no wind and like you can see in the flight record the drone flew at first without problems / drift away.

I even didnt noticed the first warning on the screen because i looked to the drone at this moment.

With my other drones I never had this problem....

Could it be a sensor-problem so that the drone thought it would be tilded forwards but it wasnt (so it flew backwards)?

In Addition, like you can see in the weather record and for example in the third video at the flag. The VERY LOW wind is in other direction as the drift away of the drone was!
2019-12-25
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

driftking.de Posted at 12-25 05:54
Thank you!

But there was really no wind, like you can see in the weather-record and in the videos.

Hi, as previously mentioned by my good colleague. We will be escalating this with the higher level team for further assistance and follow-up. You should be receiving an email and contact you within working hours. Thank you again for your patience.
2019-12-25
Use props
SupBro
First Officer
Flight distance : 1454193 ft
  • >>>
United States

I hope the "higher level" team helps you man! best of luck.
2020-1-2
Use props
CMMW
lvl.1

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to flying a drone. I purchased a mavic mini in December and have done about 10 flights without any issue and really like the mavic mini. Yesterday I launched it as normal and I took it to a height of about 20m ( I guess as my eyes was on the drone and not on the controls). Then the drone did it's own thing and went full speed into a right direction away from me with me not having any control over it. As line of sight it went for +/- 150-200m and I just shouted to my wife I'm losing my drone. I then pressed the return home button and luckily the drone returned home. With it safely on the ground it gave a compass calibration error on the controls. This error was not showing before I took it up in the air. I calibrated as per instructions and flew it close by as I was to scared to fly it high up and maybe experience another fly away.

As I said I am completely new to this. I don't know yet how to but will get the log file of the flight to see if anything is in there that might give an indication what went wrong. I also don't have any video recording as the fly away happened before I was able to press the video record button.

What worries me is that I see a few people have experienced similar fly away's with dji responding it is due to the wind. Yesterday it was sunny with no wind. We have a windmill on the farm and it was not turning and the drone was only a few meters above the windmill when the fly away happened. Few days before the fly away I was flying in wind with no wind warning on the controls or any other issues and took a video of the windmill as it was turning.

Regards
2020-1-2
Use props
bikramj
lvl.1
Flight distance : 70840 ft
Canada

driftking.de Posted at 2019-12-25 05:54
Thank you!

Did the "Higher level team" ever help you with it? I also lost my drone with failure in its hardware and they completely blamed it on wind?
2020-3-27
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

bikramj Posted at 3-27 06:54
Did the "Higher level team" ever help you with it? I also lost my drone with failure in its hardware and they completely blamed it on wind?

We apologize for your loss, upon checking your case, the accident is related to the wind.
1. The warning of “Strong wind warning. Aircraft unable to fly stably. Lower altitude immediately and manually return to home ” during RTH.
2. The aircraft tilted forward for 12.9 degrees to resist the wind without any RC input, but it was still blown away at 0.9 m/s.
Both of them indicate that there was strong wind affecting the aircraft, no product defect was found, so warranty service cannot be provided. Appreciate your understanding.
2020-3-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules