Why I regret selling my Mavic Mini and buying a Mavic Air
1487 13 2019-12-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
warwickajones
lvl.3
  • >>>
Australia

The Mavic Mini smokes the Air in lowlight performance, including colour information in the shadows.

I love the higher bitrate, more natural sharpening, and manual control of the Mavic Air, don't get me wrong. But I’m a little underwhelmed with the colour science, to say the least!

I'm also experiencing a horrible red cast in my footage, sometimes making it unusable. Not sure if it's a bug with my particular unit, but it's horrible.

2019-12-28
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

Should've just went Mavic 2 Pro.  The color science at night is second to none.  Look at the night panos on my website. https://elitecaptures7.com/
2019-12-28
Use props
*DM*
Second Officer
Flight distance : 507087 ft
United Kingdom

AntDX316 Posted at 12-28 23:12
Should've just went Mavic 2 Pro.  The color science at night is second to none.  Look at the night panos on my website. https://elitecaptures7.com/

Disagree. 'Hasselblads Color Science' native output of the M2P lacks contrast, is too warm and under sharpened.

Its as if DJI attempted to make everything look like a cinema movie ... that often quoted 'cinematic' look.

Fine if you plan to do just that  not so good otherwise.

I find in-drone adjustments to the above are necessary. On occasions work is needed in Davinci to make it acceptable. Once done its good but a Zoom, P4 or even some of the lower priced models will give better native output for the average user.

All this is for good daylight. In darker conditions the M2P will pull ahead.
2019-12-29
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

*DM* Posted at 12-29 00:33
Disagree. 'Hasselblads Color Science' native output of the M2P lacks contrast, is too warm and under sharpened.

Its as if DJI attempted to make everything look like a cinema movie ... that often quoted 'cinematic' look.

yeah, the next-level is $10000
2019-12-29
Use props
*DM*
Second Officer
United Kingdom

AntDX316 Posted at 12-29 00:44
yeah, the next-level is $10000
Not really, a mini can give comparable output with better colour out of drone. As many, most drone users will likely use it that way.

For 95% this will be a cheaper, better solution.

The 5% that do semi pro work will appreciate the larger sensor and adjustability of a M2P but be prepared to work for a good outcome.
2019-12-29
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

*DM* Posted at 12-29 00:50
Not really, a mini can give comparable output with better colour out of drone. As many, most drone users will likely use it that way.

Comparable to this?
2019-12-29
Use props
*DM*
Second Officer
United Kingdom

It looks good but without info on settings and comparison footage with something else ... a little difficult to assess.

There are however plenty of M2P vids vs another drone on the tube if anyone needs convincing.

TheM2P is a brilliant product for Pro's that know how to use it and are willing to put some work in.
2019-12-29
Use props
warwickajones
lvl.3
  • >>>
Australia

*DM* Posted at 12-29 00:33

Not sure why you'd spend that much money for anything but a cinematic drone.

Sounds like you need to hone your post-production skills and get out of auto WB.
2019-12-29
Use props
warwickajones
lvl.3
  • >>>
Australia

AntDX316 Posted at 12-28 23:12
Should've just went Mavic 2 Pro.  The color science at night is second to none.  Look at the night panos on my website. https://elitecaptures7.com/

Trust me, I would have had I had the money. Found a fly more kit on Gumtree for AU$2k, but it sold before I could scrounge together the cash (of course)
2019-12-29
Use props
warwickajones
lvl.3
  • >>>
Australia

AntDX316 Posted at 12-29 01:11
Comparable to this?https://vimeo.com/369435254

That dynamic range! So good.

Have you got this to FPV mode? If not I'd calibrate your IMU. The horizon keeps slanting.
2019-12-29
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

I saw your example in another post, but your approach of using the colour wheels to correct it is not the best approach. You are better to use a more powerful colour corrector such as Da Vinci Resolve and alter the colour temperature instead of using the wheels.
2019-12-29
Use props
warwickajones
lvl.3
  • >>>
Australia

Geebax Posted at 12-29 16:41
I saw your example in another post, but your approach of using the colour wheels to correct it is not the best approach. You are better to use a more powerful colour corrector such as Da Vinci Resolve and alter the colour temperature instead of using the wheels.

This was just to demonstrate (to myself as well) that there was a red cast over the image. I would rather not have to correct at all.

I have confirmed the unit is faulty and I'm driving it in to my local DJI service facility right now.
2019-12-29
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

*DM* Posted at 12-29 00:50

"The 5% that do semi pro work will appreciate the larger sensor and adjustability of a M2P but be prepared to work for a good outcome."

From what little I know about the Mini, it does not have selectable colour temperature, only an automatic mode, and seems to often change it while in flight.

And for the M2P, shoot in log mode, bring it into Resolve and apply a LUT and 90% of the work has been done for you, easy.
2019-12-29
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

warwickajones@gmail.com Posted at 12-29 15:33
That dynamic range! So good.

Have you got this to FPV mode? If not I'd calibrate your IMU. The horizon keeps slanting.

I've calibrated it so many times, it's probably defective but I never sent it to DJI.  It only happens when going left.  I got scared the engineers would open it and it doesn't get put together right and crashes.

I've just calibrated with the iPad instead and fly later to see if it makes a difference.
2019-12-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules