Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Weird video effects
739 11 2019-12-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AlexanderN
lvl.1
Flight distance : 51063 ft
Germany

Hello, I just received my Mavic Mini, and found some weird effects in the recorded videos that are really annoying and I could not find anything related or how to fix this here or elsewhere online.

Please see this clip on YouTube for demonstration:
https://youtu.be/3jPZ71ZSTZM

First, there is a lot of brightness change occurring especially in textured dark areas. This can be seen in the trees while gaining altitude and especially during the gimbal tilt down.

Second, the texture sharpness is changing A LOT when tilting from the horizon down towards the ground. Suddenly the trees look strange and unnatural.

Third, the saturation seems to increase when tilting down. It went as far as looking like a neon light plate when filming a winter grass area with 90° gimbal.

I find all those effects quite annoying and not at all representing the video quality I expected from watching all reviews and example videos.

Amy tips what might be the issue here? Settings wise, I cannot see anything related in the DJI Fly app. Generally, only resolution, framerate and AE lock can be changed, so I don't know what to do about it.

Any help is appreciated.

Greetings, Alexander.
2019-12-29
Use props
lifeisfun
lvl.4
Canada

Lock exposure
2019-12-29
Use props
AlexanderN
lvl.1
Germany

I did watch some videos comparing locked and unlocked exposure, and it obviously helps preventing exposure change but what about the brightness "flicker" only in certain areas of the video, and the strange oversharpness, and oversaturation? This should have nothing to do with exposure (of the whole image). I never saw this anywhere, also with auto exposure.
2019-12-29
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Does this happen everywhere you fly ?

Could the issues be related to the mobile phone tower interfering, notice the strange cast at the end was when you were pointing the camera at the mobile phone tower antennas ?
2019-12-29
Use props
AlexanderN
lvl.1
Germany

Yes I had the issue also on free field with no trees and no broadcast or cell towers.
2019-12-29
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

AlexanderN Posted at 12-29 04:57
Yes I had the issue also on free field with no trees and no broadcast or cell towers.

I guess the only thing you can try before returning it for a warranty claim, is to do a firmware refresh using DJI Assistant 2 on the PC
2019-12-29
Use props
lifeisfun
lvl.4
Canada

AlexanderN Posted at 12-29 04:40
I did watch some videos comparing locked and unlocked exposure, and it obviously helps preventing exposure change but what about the brightness "flicker" only in certain areas of the video, and the strange oversharpness, and oversaturation? This should have nothing to do with exposure (of the whole image). I never saw this anywhere, also with auto exposure.

Did you actually try it?
2019-12-29
Use props
AlexanderN
lvl.1
Germany

lifeisfun Posted at 12-29 05:07
Did you actually try it?

Unfortunately not at this location. I did not yet have the effect as strong as in the video after I learned about AE lock. Seems it really depends on the lighting situation. Still, if AE lock prevents flicker as it happens in the trees, it should definatley get an update to react less sensitive, or metering mode should be custom.
In any case, I will post an update as soon as I test more with my Mini
2019-12-29
Use props
lifeisfun
lvl.4
Canada

AlexanderN Posted at 12-29 10:05
Unfortunately not at this location. I did not yet have the effect as strong as in the video after I learned about AE lock. Seems it really depends on the lighting situation. Still, if AE lock prevents flicker as it happens in the trees, it should definatley get an update to react less sensitive, or metering mode should be custom.
In any case, I will post an update as soon as I test more with my Mini

That would be great if you post back the result
Good luck!
2019-12-29
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Do you see the strange effects on the screen while flying or is it just on the video recorded on the sd card ?

Do you also see problems in the video that is cached to your  phone/tablet ?
2019-12-29
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi AlexanderN, sorry for the difficulties, may we have the original footage for further analysis? Please upload to Dropbox or Google Drive and post the link here, thank you.
2019-12-30
Use props
AlexanderN
lvl.1
Germany

Hello all,
I now found the time to lock into my problem with a bit more time and detail.
First things first: It is not an issue with the DJI Mavic Mini, at least not solely.
The actual problem seems to be the "Video Enhancer" on my OnePlus 6T mobile phone.
If anybody else is experiencing weird brightness flicker, highlighting or oversaturation in Mavic (Mini) footage using a OnePlus phone, try to disable this feature in the mobile phone settings under "Display". (I hope that this is not already documented and I did not find it :-D )

I revisited the original raw video, the edited video file and the video uploaded to Youtube on my PC. The original footage looks absolutely fine on my PC. So I tried to identify a possible problem on my phone and remembered the video enhancer feature. After disabling, videos look fine on my phone as well.

With enabled video enhancer, video re-encoded on my phone (e.g. in the DJI Fly app, shared on Youtube, shared with messenger program, etc.) looks strange even on my PC or other devices. So re-encoding seems to "burn" the effect in the newly created video, and cannot be removed afterwards. As long as the original footage exists however, nothing is lost.
The effect itself is somehow caused by changing exposure, as locking exposure does limit, but not eliminate, the effect.
With video enhancer turned off, everything looks fine, and footage can be re-encoded, edited and shared from my phone.

All in all: for me the issue seems to be resolved! :-)
The video footage from the Mavic Mini looks as expected and as long as OnePlus Video Enhancer is off.
I can now edit and share footage on my phone without problems.

Thanks for all the support and happy flying :-)
2020-1-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules