Mavic Mini altitude problems
3000 5 2019-12-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_7qWnz8YbuGTj
lvl.1
Flight distance : 360512 ft
Canada

Hey, I'm new to Mavic and don't know if this is normal or I have a problem, when I fly close to the ground at speed, full forward stick, my mini will either randomly climb, or drop. It's hit the ground once, as I didn't notice it dropping until the last minute, I stopped it from flying forward, but it still hit the snow, and other times it just starts climbing. It's very frustrating to try and get a high speed fly over a frozen lake, when it won't hold altitude at all. Up high it seems to be okay. Climb to 40 m and fly forward it holds, but if I'm around 1 to 2 m it will climb and or drop 10 to 20m if I don't try to control the height.

Anyone else have this problem?
2019-12-29
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day. I am sorry for the trouble and thank you for reaching out. It is not recommended to fly the aircraft close to the ground and reflective surfaces. When flying above the reflective surfaces, the vision system of the said drone  will turn off automatically, if the vision system is affected an accident might happen. In addition interference from other sources might have triggered the drone to move uncontrollably.  The Vision System of the DJI Mavic Mini allows the aircraft to hover at low altitudes ( 0.5 to 10 m ), but the ground must have distinct textures, and there needs to be sufficient lighting. Thank you.

2019-12-29
Use props
dustinwild
lvl.1
Flight distance : 360512 ft
Canada

DJI Stephen Posted at 12-29 10:01
Hello and good day. I am sorry for the trouble and thank you for reaching out. It is not recommended to fly the aircraft close to the ground and reflective surfaces. When flying above the reflective surfaces, the vision system of the said drone  will turn off automatically, if the vision system is affected an accident might happen. In addition interference from other sources might have triggered the drone to move uncontrollably.  The Vision System of the DJI Mavic Mini allows the aircraft to hover at low altitudes ( 0.5 to 10 m ), but the ground must have distinct textures, and there needs to be sufficient lighting. Thank you.

[view_image]

So does this mean that the GPS altitude hold turns off below 10m? I'm flying over snow over a frozen lake, and over a pasture. Both perfectly flat.  If it would hold altitude, I wouldn't have to input any elevation adjustment at all.
2019-12-29
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

dustinwild Posted at 12-29 10:44
So does this mean that the GPS altitude hold turns off below 10m? I'm flying over snow over a frozen lake, and over a pasture. Both perfectly flat.  If it would hold altitude, I wouldn't have to input any elevation adjustment at all.

It doesnt turn off, but the down vision system will stop you from crashing in the floor.
The manual says that flying over homogeneous colors, like frozen lake, repetitive patterns, or simply fast, the downward vision system may get confused.
Also you mention snow and frozen lake, temperature may be an issue, the only other user I saw who reported this "drops" was in a cold environment, outside the 0-40 degree celsius mavic mini range.
2019-12-29
Use props
TDZHDTV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2068550 ft
United Kingdom

If you fly into the wind it progressively climbs and doesn’t hold its height, it gets worse moving through the modes c - p -s
2019-12-29
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12260774 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

dustinwild Posted at 12-29 10:44

Hiya,

there is no GPS altitude controlling height. Or its the barometric sensor or its the VPS height sensor.

On takeoff barometric height is set to zero, so this height level is used is as reference to the ascend or descend up or below that height.

cheers
JJB
2019-12-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules