Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi DJI,

In the FlyApp i see my total flights, flights made in the GoApp are in the total. (don`t see the flights )
But in the GoApp i do not see the flights i have made in the FlyApp, so total flights does not sum-up.

Something for the next update to sync between the 2 app, or do i miss some knowlegde how to sync between the 2 apps?

cheers
JJB

2019-12-30
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

I find shocking the Mini wasn't made to work with the GoApp, it would have made things much easier, even using a different GUI depending on the AC tha is used... Oh well.
2019-12-30
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've always felt that a unified app would be much better. Go 4 has already been established. There's an old saying. Stick with what works. Maybe it would have been a better fit here for the mini as well.
2019-12-30
Use props
ABeardedItalian
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1063107 ft
United States

InspektorGadjet Posted at 12-30 05:08
I find shocking the Mini wasn't made to work with the GoApp, it would have made things much easier, even using a different GUI depending on the AC tha is used... Oh well.

Same, I liked the compass and other information the other app offers.

I like the mini's simplified look but at least give us the option to enable the extra information if we want it.
2019-12-30
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

JodyB Posted at 12-30 06:01
I've always felt that a unified app would be much better. Go 4 has already been established. There's an old saying. Stick with what works. Maybe it would have been a better fit here for the mini as well.

Yep, in the audio world we say, if it works, don't touch it lol
2019-12-30
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

ABeardedItalian Posted at 12-30 06:06
Same, I liked the compass and other information the other app offers.

I like the mini's simplified look but at least give us the option to enable the extra information if we want it.

Agreed, why not give the option. That also would have spread the number of compatible devices.
2019-12-30
Use props
Ingo Sundowner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 914012 ft
United Kingdom

By now, any upgrade would be nice
2019-12-30
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

InspektorGadjet Posted at 12-30 06:13

I like if it isn’t broke, don’t fix it as well
2019-12-30
Use props
69th Drone Detachment
lvl.2

United States

JodyB Posted at 12-30 06:01

I think the thing is, Jody, that the Go app is 32-bit and that is the problem. Fly is 64-bit. Now, usually a 64-bit process (app) can accommodate the older 32-bit app (backwards compatibility). It seems like writing a few extra 32-bit libraries for the processor software would be an easy and logical thing to do. However, I suspect DJI didn't do that for a number of reasons:
1) They were busy getting the Fly app going in 64 bit (which probably included preparation for migration of other DJI drones -and appropriate GUI ready for transition to the Fly app, and thus had to focus their time.
2) With Google announcing a date when 32 bit apps will no longer be allowed on Play Store, they perhaps figured it was a wasted effort to write all that code for a 32-bit app that would only be good for another year or two.
3) The 32-bit app is truly just too old-fashioned (even though it works - sort of). The increased functionality and speed offered by the 64-bit CPU/5-G wireless pipe simply couldn't be handled by 32 bit apps. Heck the 32 bit app can't handle half the RAM it would take to run a 64-bit, 5-G enabled app (which may soon be required per FAA RFC on Remote Drone ID).

I'll be writing a more detailed explanation on my Wordpress drone blog, and perhaps posting the blog post here as well, to help eliminate confusion and increase understanding of why the DJI smarties went this route (since they sure ain't saying).

Hope that helps and happy flying!
2019-12-30
Use props
69th Drone Detachment
lvl.2

United States

You'd have to write 32 bit libraries to enable backwards compatibility from 64 to 32 bit. I suspect they may be too busy bringing a unified Go app online (compatible with 64 bit and 5G), and since Google has already announced a date when 32bit apps will no longer bew allowed on or supported by Play Store, the time and coding effort may be seen as less productive than effort to bring the Go app into the 64 bit/5G future (which the pending FAA drone Remote ID network will require). Hope that helps.
2019-12-30
Use props
69th Drone Detachment
lvl.2

United States

InspektorGadjet Posted at 12-30 06:13

In the software world, they say don't waste effort on outmoded 32 bit apps, when they are going to be gone soon anyhow...and the new FAA drone Remote ID thing will require 64 bit procs and apps, and 5G connectivity...  ; )
2019-12-30
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

69th Drone Detachment Posted at 12-30 16:57
I think the thing is, Jody, that the Go app is 32-bit and that is the problem. Fly is 64-bit. Now, usually a 64-bit process (app) can accommodate the older 32-bit app (backwards compatibility). It seems like writing a few extra 32-bit libraries for the processor software would be an easy and logical thing to do. However, I suspect DJI didn't do that for a number of reasons:
1) They were busy getting the Fly app going in 64 bit (which probably included preparation for migration of other DJI drones -and appropriate GUI ready for transition to the Fly app, and thus had to focus their time.
2) With Google announcing a date when 32 bit apps will no longer be allowed on Play Store, they perhaps figured it was a wasted effort to write all that code for a 32-bit app that would only be good for another year or two.
I totally get what you are saying and for the most part, agree. But google didn’t provide a termination date of 32 bit from the play store, only a date in which 64 bit would be mandatory. Maybe I misread that article, I do make mistakes contrary to popular believe, lol.

That being said, I do think a move to 64 bit is in order, but I think it could have been documented in the compatibility part of things.

And me saying I think a unified app would be better, that’s just me thinking. Not a feature request or anything. We’ve been dealt the hand we have to play and must move forward at this point I’m afraid
2019-12-30
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Why don`t DJI respond to my question??

Understand the 32 and 64 bit, but flights are processed server wise is China ( where else   ;-)  ), DJI can transfer them back to both apps.

cheers
JJB
2019-12-31
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

69th Drone Detachment Posted at 12-30 17:04
In the software world, they say don't waste effort on outmoded 32 bit apps, when they are going to be gone soon anyhow...and the new FAA drone Remote ID thing will require 64 bit procs and apps, and 5G connectivity...  ; )

In the audio world there are tons of apps and software that run at 32 bit and will never be updated.
We use "wrappers" to use them in 64 bit OS. Not saying companies have to carry on with support... anyway I just hate obsolescence in general.
2019-12-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules