strange crash on takeoff
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
cameracollector
lvl.4
Flight distance : 807133 ft
Canada

What was going to be a normal flight yesterday turned out disastrous. I usually take off from an elevated platform on my deck, where there is no compass interference and the area is clear of other objects.

I waited for the IMU etc to warm up, GPS ready to go etc. like I always do then tried to take off. The aircraft immediately tipped on its side, then crashed down on to the deck below, and in the process bent the landing gear legs on one side over.  

This is the first time I have had an issue like this. The aircraft is less than a year old so I am assuming should be under warranty, and I also purchased  DJI Care Refresh for this one.  

2019-12-30
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day cameracollector. I am sorry to read and to know what happened to your DJI Phantom 4 Advanced. Since this unfortunate incident happened. I would highly recommend to contact our DJI support team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for us to be able to assist you further with regards to this issue.  We have the team who would do their best to find out the reason of the said incident and then the corresponding resolution would be provided.  We hope to hear from you soon and looking forward to help you as soon as possible. Again I am sorry for the trouble and thank for your support.
2019-12-30
Use props
cameracollector
lvl.4
Canada

Thanks, I will do that.
2019-12-30
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

You are very much welcome cameracollector. If you have any other concerns or inquiry with DJI. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are all here to help and support you.
2019-12-30
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

We've seen pilots report of compass problems when launching from wood decks.  The problem stems from the steel supports under the deck, and sometimes even the nails in the deck boards.  

If you'd like, upload your flight log to phantom help and then post the given link on the forum and somebody will likely take a look and give you their assessment.  

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/#
2019-12-30
Use props
cameracollector
lvl.4
Canada

Thanks - when I get back home I will look into uploading the log files.

My deck has no steel supports, and my elevated platform is a large plastic container, and have used this for dozens of flights with no issues.  Even with my Mavic Air, which seems to have a more sensitive compass than the P4A.

I did notice though, on the last few flights with my Advanced I was getting unusual errors from time to time, and a couple of times had to restart the aircraft. And this is from a couple of different takeoff areas.  Once I had restarted and was flying though, all was, or at least seemed, okay.  The only other thing I have noticed while flying was a seemingly increasing of the yaw drift, which could be compass related.
2019-12-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules