B4U Fly and Kitty Hawk; not always accurate
1666 3 2019-12-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
69th Drone Detachment
lvl.2

United States

Hey, Fliers

A quick note on B4UFly and Kitty Hawk apps. Sometimes they say 'good to fly' when it is definitely NOT good to fly, by FAA rules. I proved that today, and talked to some AIr Operations folks who said the real way to view aircraft in the area is to use the Flight Aware.com site that airplane pilots and air ops people use.

If I remember my Part 107 stuff, you can't fly within 5 miles of an airport, yet bothe B4UFly and Kitty Hawk told me I was good to go when one mile away. I decided to go to less than a mile away (and just off the flight path for the main runway), and it still told me good to go. Air operations were ongoing.

I'll investigate, and post a more detailed update here and on YouTube (69th Drone Detachment), but be aware...I'm sure the FAA doesn't care what those apps say...the rules are clear and ignorance of them would probably be no excuse they would accept.

FYI and Happy Flying!
Single SelectVote, Total 2 people participate in voting View Poll participants

Voting has ended

0.00% (0)
0.00% (0)
100.00% (2)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2019-12-30
Use props
ABeardedItalian
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1063107 ft
United States

I'm probably biting off more then I can chew discussing this topic but when I last read the Faa rules (My old registration expired last year) the 5 mile rule is in relation to major airports and smaller runways/strips without towers are another case. You can fly in these area's but you have to call the control tower that's responsible for that air field and let them know you are in the area.

DJI has created the NFZ at all major airports because these are True No Fly ZONES not just for our aircraft, these and the other warnings are all apart of Adhering to the Faa's laws... Not that I'm the best example but I live next to a small public airport without a tower, when flying registered I was required to contact my control tower before flying near my airport. DJI has my airport as a Enhanced Warning Zone as it's just that. They have mapped out the airspace that covers that airport and it's User's Responsibility to be flying in active Airspace.

I myself check Flight Radar 24/7 to see who's around, who left, who might be circling before I take off. I know for a fact that planes, helicopters, ultralights don't stick to the airports take off/landing flight path and have flown over my house only a couple of hundred feet up in what would be my airspace. If I hear a lot of air traffic I won't fly that day, when I do fly I fly away from the warning zone and into clear airspace (Over a swamp) sometimes I can be mid flight and if I hear anything and I'm above 100ft I drop to below the tree line immediately.

The purpose of these Apps is to do whats described above, they're suppose to be contacting your Control Tower/FAA and let them know when, where, and how long you will be flying in a given area. These apps are to be used along side dji's unlock feature, If you need to ask dji to unlock you are in a zone where AirMap needs to be used to let the Faa/Control Towers know you are flying in that given area. AirMap, B4UFLY, KittyHawk all show that my airport/area is safe to fly in with no advisories, Do I trust these apps are actually doing what they say and the Faa/Towers actually get the information of your flight is anyone's guess but they are good tools to have none the less.
2019-12-30
Use props
69th Drone Detachment
lvl.2

United States

ABeardedItalian Posted at 12-30 17:56
I'm probably biting off more then I can chew discussing this topic but when I last read the Faa rules (My old registration expired last year) the 5 mile rule is in relation to major airports and smaller runways/strips without towers are another case. You can fly in these area's but you have to call the control tower that's responsible for that air field and let them know you are in the area.

DJI has created the NFZ at all major airports because these are True No Fly ZONES not just for our aircraft, these and the other warnings are all apart of Adhering to the Faa's laws... Not that I'm the best example but I live next to a small public airport without a tower, when flying registered I was required to contact my control tower before flying near my airport. DJI has my airport as a Enhanced Warning Zone as it's just that. They have mapped out the airspace that covers that airport and it's User's Responsibility to be flying in active Airspace.

Agreed. I use both Kitty Hawk and B4UFly, regardless. I like that Flight Aware (I'm in the US, and that is what the Remote Drone ID change is aiming for...a view like that, but including drones. Thanks for the tip, and I'll try the app you mentioned as well.

I might mention Air Ops at my local airport thinks it's five miles, but I thought 1 mile. Ether way, no warning at all when even closer than 1 mile.

As you alluded, there's no app that can replace common sense and a bit of prudence.

Thanks, and Happy Flying!
2019-12-30
Use props
JohnnieYaz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5137874 ft
  • >>>
United States

I use AIRMAP
The 5 mile rule has changed in the US a while ago! Plese get your info from the FAA web page, not forums and social media.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/recreational_fliers/where_can_i_fly/airspace_restrictions/flying_near_airports/
Generally, drone operators should avoid flying near airports because of other air traffic. It is very difficult for other aircraft to see and avoid a drone while flying, and drone operators are responsible for any safety hazard their drone creates in an airport environment.

Option 1: If you have a Remote Pilot Certificate and are following part 107 rules, you must get permission from air traffic control to fly in controlled airspace. The FAA can grant permission two different ways – LAANC or DroneZone.

Option 2: If you are a recreational flyer, flight in controlled airspace is temporarily limited to recreational flyer fixed sites that have an agreement with the FAA.

Option 3: If you are a public entity (law enforcement or government agency), the FAA may issue you special permission to fly in a designated location near an airport. Read information about the requirements for law enforcement and government drone operations.

2019-12-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules