Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Monopod Crane user can't lock off vertical axis
2433 14 2019-12-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Starfinder
lvl.1
Flight distance : 119636 ft
United Kingdom

I'm a newbie to the osmo mobile 3 so forgive me if this is something simple I have missed.

I like to use gimbals on a monopod as a sort of frugal alternative to a crane jib. With my previous gimbal it was easy to lock the vertical axis, but on the osmo mobile 3 the only way I have found is to keep the trigger held down. But with the camera at the wrong end of a 6 foot monopod, this is not an option because the trigger lock is a momentary switch only (I think).

Is there a way around this problem, if not, how responsive are DJI to fixing issues like this with firmware updates?

I don't want to return the gimbal as I love the small pack down size and the smoothness of the video I get from it, but this is a deal breaker for me.
2019-12-31
Use props
fansfe82067d
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

It's in the Mimo app settings.  Sadly you can't do it without using the app.
2019-12-31
Use props
Starfinder
lvl.1
United Kingdom

thanks, i did look in the app, any pointers on where in the menu please.
2019-12-31
Use props
fansfe82067d
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... _Manual_v1.0_en.pdf

Page 12 - "Gimbal modes".   Full lock isn't available other than by holding the trigger but I don't think that's what you actually want - tilt lock is presumably what you are after.
2019-12-31
Use props
Robert2345
lvl.1
Pakistan

i want to know same
2020-1-1
Use props
Starfinder
lvl.1
United Kingdom

thanks, Tilt lock is what I'm looking for, will try it out later.
2020-1-3
Use props
Starfinder
lvl.1
United Kingdom

update.

Tilt lock works great. The other missing piece to this puzzle is that the gimbal needs to be held at 90 degrees.

But this means the center of gravity is outset from the arm and makes holding the gimbal painful after 30 seconds.

Similarly, if I were to boom mount the gimbal with a right angle adaptor the offset center of gravity would make it painful to operate the boom.

So I figure either an L bracket or a clamp is the way to go.

My point in purchasing the OSMO 3 Mobile was to have a gimbal small enough to carry around in my small camera bag, but with the adaptors, it will take up to much room.

Does anyone have any clever right angle mounting options?
2020-1-30
Use props
ShadowDragon81
lvl.1
United States

Use a small ball bracket and let it hang.
Little bit of electrical tape to hold the trigger.
2020-1-30
Use props
Starfinder
lvl.1
United Kingdom

alas, the centre of gravity issue still makes it not impossible to use.
2020-1-30
Use props
Starfinder
lvl.1
United Kingdom

sorry, I should have mentioned that the gimbal needs to be held at 90 degrees in order to get the clearance needed to for the phone to swing under the gimbal arms for the low and high angles.

Try using your OSMO 3 with tilt lock-on and shooting at a low angles, you should see a yellow message box appear on screen advising turning the gimbal 90 degrees.

I now think only an adjustable  L bracket will allow me to get the COG needed. But it would have to be a large L bracket.

I regret buying the Mobile 3, this is a big design floor imho
2020-1-30
Use props
Starfinder
lvl.1
United Kingdom

In case anyone else has an issue, this is what I mean.

If this rig is successful I'll post photos of it and an example video of what can be done with the setup
2020-1-31
Use props
AlanHd
Captain
Flight distance : 797365 ft
United Kingdom

Starfinder Posted at 1-31 08:46
In case anyone else has an issue, this is what I mean.

[view_image]

Have a look at this
2020-1-31
Use props
Starfinder
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing this, I can what the other comment about letting it hang meant now. It's also reassuring to see I'm not the only one having this problem.

My concern with the method in the video is the gimbal is free to swing, admittedly the footage looks great though, hopefully, my idea will totally eliminate that potential issue (if it works).
2020-1-31
Use props
AlanHd
Captain
Flight distance : 797365 ft
United Kingdom

Starfinder Posted at 1-31 11:55
Thanks for sharing this, I can what the other comment about letting it hang meant now. It's also reassuring to see I'm not the only one having this problem.

My concern with the method in the video is the gimbal is free to swing, admittedly the footage looks great though, hopefully, my idea will totally eliminate that potential issue (if it works).

Looking forward to seeing some of your footage with your method, I’m sort of torn with what to go with.
2020-1-31
Use props
Starfinder
lvl.1
United Kingdom

my method involved an L bracket but I couldn't offset the gimbal enough to balance it.
2020-2-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules