Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Best practices & Tips
1380 9 2019-12-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fefer
lvl.2

Brazil

Hi all,

I’m pretty new using Mavic Mini, and it has been around one month that I have it. It has been an exciting learning curve, and I learned a lot over this forum by reading around 5-10 threads per day. I want to keep this thread to a few tips to first and new flyers. I will keep updating it, if you found something missing, please let me know.

1- You just got you Mavic Mini, be careful cause the propellers have some marks and you must follow the marks. The manual exposes where to screw each propeller.
2- I know you are excited to do your first flight, but:
    - DJI should highlight this more, but the max wind speed recommended is 8m/s, anything above it, may give you a lot of problems. Depending on your city, this could be hard to reach, and you should be ok. However, other cities (like mine, Rio de Janeiro) have a lot of wind. The “UAV forecast” app gives you a lot of info.
    - Another point to be aware is the number of satellites, with the new version you will be able to fly ok with eight satellites, but you going to have a lot of trouble, I strongly recommend you to wait for ten at least
    - Do not fly at home on your first flight, but if you still insist on doing it, use the propellers guard! For your first flight outside, it may be nice to use the propellers guards, at least until you feel secure enough to fly without it.
    - While it states that it can reach 500m of height and 4Km of distance, do not try it all by yourself. I strongly recommend trying by increasing 200m of distance each flight and 50m height each flight
    - Be sure to calibrate the compass and IMU. If you are flying from a building in an urban area, calibrate it before each flight
    - Check the screws are tight every first flight of the day. You don’t want to find out that one propeller is loose when you are at 100m height

Tips:
    - Check the antennas position; if you are flying right above you, the remote controller antennas should be horizontal. However, to get the max height, you should have some horizontal distance between you and the aircraft, which needs to adjust the remote controller antennas to vertical.

- If you have any problem or crash, there is a log on the aircraft with all the Infos, considering your remote controller info, altitude, speed, etc. So, before opening a thread about it, check how to upload these files.
2019-12-31
Use props
Alevpi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 43560 ft
Russia

When I bought my first DJI Mavic Pro drone, I didn't care about any of the items listed, and the compass was calibrated only once!
Progressive DJI Mavic Mini in real flight was a complete degradation!
2019-12-31
Use props
pnwflier
lvl.2
United States

I have a BMW series 5 and just purchased a Honda Accord. I thought the Honda would be as good as the BMW but the Honda is a 'complete degradation'! I'll never buy a Honda again.

Happy New Year everybody!
2019-12-31
Use props
StubbornSwiss
lvl.4
Flight distance : 480771 ft
United States

Good advice fefer......

But I would add to your wind advice that the fact that the wind speed on the ground is calm (or relatively calm), does not mean that it will be the same at 50ft or 100ft. Most of the time, wind speed increases with an increase in height.
I really think not understanding this is a biggie for a lot of people.

Good job. Keep it up
2019-12-31
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great tips OP.  Best advice is read the manual, re-read the manual, check out this forum for tips and lessons learned.  Just know that your MM is NOT indestructible.  Then go take that first flight carefully and safely.
2019-12-31
Use props
BC71
lvl.2
Flight distance : 35394 ft
United States

Thanks for the tips. Every bit i read adds to my knowledge base
2019-12-31
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

BC71 Posted at 2019-12-31 17:17
Thanks for the tips. Every bit i read adds to my knowledge base

When it comes to flying safely you can never learn too much.  Your right about adding to your (our) knowledge bases.  Every little bit helps and makes us better and safer flyers.  Happy New Year and keep on flying.
2020-1-1
Use props
jz729
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4130922 ft
Suriname

It's ridiculous the amount of "My MM flew away" topics I've seen pop up. You've just invested a few hundred dollars in a drone, take the time to do some research, know what your drone can and can't do. Be smart when you fly. One of the first things I do in a flight is put it in sport mode, raise my altitude and make sure I can fly against the wind with reasonable speed. If I can't , then I wait for better weather. And stop depending on RTH to bring the MM back in high wind
2020-1-1
Use props
Tervist
lvl.4
Flight distance : 20830 ft
United States

Great topic and discussion. To all this I'd like to add that you also should be familiar with drone regulations for the country in which you are flying. Fly it within your line of sight until you're comfortable with how it behaves and understand what the statuses, maps, compass, symbols, etc., on your phone/controller are telling you.  
2020-1-1
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. Thank you for sharing this helpful tips and your informative insights. This will give our valued DJI co pilots more information for safe flights. Great work and thank you for your valued support.
2020-1-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules