Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Active track crash
1919 18 2020-1-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
basejumper
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I thought I would test the active track before taking it to Monte Brento on a base jumping trip with me, and its lucky I did.

I found an open field in the Surrey Hills this morning and had the drone follow me on my bike, and while riding I heard it crash behind me. I thought it may have hit a tree, but no, it had avoided the tree branches to the left and above, instead it just steadily flew into the ground...

Here is the video:

The flight record says it lost me...wow, so it decided to crash.

Cheers

2020-1-1
Use props
basejumper
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Here is the log:

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/0XFOXQNAV89EWF70H5WS/

If it cant handle following me in these pretty basic conditions, theres no way I would trust it following me down a 4,000ft cliff.

Pretty pointless feature.
2020-1-1
Use props
JJB*
Captain
Flight distance : 12165479 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi basejumper,

Awful video, seeing a MA crashing into the ground.

According to your log the MA was in ActiveTrack until it crashed.
Baro height steady value of 2.2 meters, but VPS height value decreasing at the end.
Second Activetrack started at 2.5 VPS height, indicating up to 4.2 meters down to 0.1 meter.
AFAIK MA does not follow the terrain, but fly`s at height activated by activetrack.
So while the terrain was rising, distance MA<>ground got less and less....

cheers
JJB
2020-1-1
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. I am sorry to know about the incident with your DJI Mavic Air. Since the said drone crashed. I would recommend for you to contact our DJI support team to start up a ticket for the said drone at ( https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav ) to further diagnose, analyze and repair the said drone. We have the professional team who would do their best to assists you with regards to this matter. We hope to hear from you as soon as possible for a swift resolution. Please note that DJI will not be able to perform data analysis for cases occurring after the expiry of the warranty period of the drone. Otherwise, valid charges will apply. Again I am sorry for the trouble and thank for your support.
2020-1-1
Use props
slup
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1607103 ft
Sweden

Have an MA also & tried out the behavior of all the different modes when it was new ...

This is my findings regarding the Active Track ... the behavior isn't consistent between the different ways to do it.

Read here --> Here we go again ... Active track and elevation changes
Can add that I was walking up & down a ski slope during my test ... if I like you have had a higher speed the result may have been different.
2020-1-1
Use props
basejumper
lvl.1

United Kingdom

DJI Paladin Posted at 1-1 08:38
Hi. I am sorry to know about the incident with your DJI Mavic Air. Since the said drone crashed. I would recommend for you to contact our DJI support team to start up a ticket for the said drone at ( https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav ) to further diagnose, analyze and repair the said drone. We have the professional team who would do their best to assists you with regards to this matter. We hope to hear from you as soon as possible for a swift resolution. Please note that DJI will not be able to perform data analysis for cases occurring after the expiry of the warranty period of the drone. Otherwise, valid charges will apply. Again I am sorry for the trouble and thank for your support.

Its ok, the drone was not damaged thankfully
2020-1-1
Use props
basejumper
lvl.1

United Kingdom

JJB* Posted at 1-1 08:10
Hi basejumper,

Awful video, seeing a MA crashing into the ground.

Damn, thanks for the explanation. I think I'll just try it again when going downhill
2020-1-1
Use props
JJB*
Captain
Flight distance : 12165479 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

basejumper Posted at 1-1 12:21
Damn, thanks for the explanation. I think I'll just try it again when going downhill

Take care doing this great videoìng downhill!

Happy landings,
cheers
JJB
2020-1-1
Use props
Zotya
Captain
Flight distance : 1510945 ft

Hungary

sorry to see the video. I thought the tree would go to the drone not directly into the ground.
good luck to your next try!
2020-1-1
Use props
basejumper
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Zotya Posted at 1-1 15:02
sorry to see the video. I thought the tree would go to the drone not directly into the ground.
good luck to your next try!

haha thats what I thought too!
2020-1-2
Use props
lannes
Captain
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

There is going to be speed limits with active track, I think you'll exceed this base jumping.

All in all, not the best idea for you to be worrying about the drone footage while you should be concentrating on the jump.

Have someone else fly the drone, it's not technically feasible for it to follow you down
2020-1-2
Use props
Zotya
Captain
Flight distance : 1510945 ft

Hungary

basejumper Posted at 1-2 00:47
haha thats what I thought too!

It was an unfortunate accident!
2020-1-2
Use props
Adriano Araujo
First Officer
Flight distance : 731565 ft
Brazil

VPS (Vision sensor) usually kick in on such situation. Probably due to low light it didn´t.
2020-1-2
Use props
Canefan
Second Officer
Flight distance : 88074 ft
United States

As a side note, I loved the syncing of the audio track to the crash.  Well done!
2020-1-3
Use props
basejumper
lvl.1

United Kingdom

lannes Posted at 1-2 00:55
There is going to be speed limits with active track, I think you'll exceed this base jumping.

All in all, not the best idea for you to be worrying about the drone footage while you should be concentrating on the jump.

I saw a guy do it already off Brento, but I have no idea what drone it was as I hadnt bought one yet.

Ofcourse I dont know if he was using Active track, but from what I saw he put the remote down his top and when he was under canopy got the drone to follow him down
2020-1-4
Use props
basejumper
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Canefan Posted at 1-3 06:21
As a side note, I loved the syncing of the audio track to the crash.  Well done!

Thanks, something heavy usually works well with crashes and fails videos
2020-1-4
Use props
lannes
Captain
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

basejumper Posted at 1-4 12:10
I saw a guy do it already off Brento, but I have no idea what drone it was as I hadnt bought one yet.

Ofcourse I dont know if he was using Active track, but from what I saw he put the remote down his top and when he was under canopy got the drone to follow him down

If this video, you can sometimes see the separate pilot on the cliff top

2020-1-4
Use props
ernie_e
First Officer
Flight distance : 299380 ft
United States

Thanks for sharing.
2020-1-12
Use props
basejumper
lvl.1

United Kingdom

lannes Posted at 1-4 16:45
If this video, you can sometimes see the separate pilot on the cliff top

This looks like a racing drone, that is using someones GoPro. Looks too fast for a DJI.

My mate has a paramotor and a he has a mate that uses a racing drone circle him in flight and its super quick
2020-1-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules