P4 RTK drops from 90m, loss of power
2497 21 2020-1-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sandeep1972
lvl.2

India

Hi,

This is to inform that we have a P4 RTK purchased from USA from dronenerds.com in April 2019.

On 19th Dec during a mission flight there was a sudden loss of power and the drone dropped from 90m.

THe 1st flight was good and after a battery change the mission was resumed. upon climbing vertically to attain the 142m height as per mission planned.
There was sudden aircraft disconnect notice on the app at 90m and the drone dropped down like a brick with major damage to gimbal, camera and top shell including the RTK gps cover.

The battery was firmly locked in place and there was no reason for a power loss. Upon close observation we found the battery terminals in the P4 drone having a blacking smear of plastic. The battery too shows plastic melting at the connection. Attaching pics for your examination.

Also the logfile screenshot which shows drop in voltage and current.

kindly advise.

Screenshot 2020-01-02 11.54.19.png
P4 battery.jpg
P4 Internal.jpg
2020-1-1
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

We have seen this happening to a number of P4's.  Flight records probably show a sudden loss of power.  I believe DJI has been making good on most.
2020-1-2
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

You are in India.  Probably the governments are testing stuff on your drone from space.  Probably sending signal instructions down to the drone making it malfunction.  They won't test it on the people in the United States.  Someone in New Zealand or somewhere definitely had his drone shot out from the sky.
2020-1-2
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

AntDX316 Posted at 1-2 20:19
You are in India.  Probably the governments are testing stuff on your drone from space.  Probably sending signal instructions down to the drone making it malfunction.  They won't test it on the people in the United States.  Someone in New Zealand or somewhere definitely had his drone shot out from the sky.

WARNING: Extreme Bullsh*t Interference. Do not listen to anything this dipsh*t says.
2020-1-3
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 1-3 00:49
WARNING: Extreme Bullsh*t Interference. Do not listen to anything this dipsh*t says.

You don't know what happened any more than I do.
2020-1-3
Use props
Keule
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3733015 ft
  • >>>
Germany

AntDX316 Posted at 1-3 02:47
You don't know what happened any more than I do.

Read and understand the flight log screenshot in post #1!
2020-1-3
Use props
joestefano1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1870 ft
United States

Keule Posted at 1-3 03:36
Read and understand the flight log screenshot in post #1!

I assume it was a DJI battery and not a knock off
2020-1-3
Use props
DJI4Survey
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6484478 ft
Australia

Hey Sandeep,

This is going to sound like a conspiracy theory.  But we had a P4RTK (our first out of 11 units) go down on the 19th of December.

It appears to be a sudden loss of power, same as yours.

I am only back into work today after holidays and will be trying to get the flight log off.  Will keep you posted.
2020-1-5
Use props
fansbcb29bc3
lvl.2

United States

Hey Sandeep,

My drone crashed yesterday during a pre-planned flight mission of 30m. Flight log reported sudden loss of voltage at aprox. 60% battery. I bought the drone last March and have performed less than 20 flights, so I haven't even gotten a return on the investment. I opened a repair ticket, and will keep the forum posted regarding DJI's conclusion. A screen cap of the flight log is shown below.

Given that 3 P4 RTK drones (that we know of) have experienced sudden voltage drops and crashed within the pasted few weeks, I strongly advise other pilots to exercise EXTREME caution until a better explanation for the sudden shutoff is made, and a resolution is discovered to prevent other drones from free falling without warning.

2020-1-5
Use props
Skyveyor112
lvl.4
United States

fansbcb29bc3 Posted at 1-5 14:04
Hey Sandeep,

My drone crashed yesterday during a pre-planned flight mission of 30m. Flight log reported sudden loss of voltage at aprox. 60% battery. I bought the drone last March and have performed less than 20 flights, so I haven't even gotten a return on the investment. I opened a repair ticket, and will keep the forum posted regarding DJI's conclusion. A screen cap of the flight log is shown below.

Sorry to hear you lost a second unit.

Did you see any arcing near the battery terminal like pictured above on the second unit?
2020-1-5
Use props
DJI4Survey
lvl.4
Australia

Hey Sandeep,

What was the time of your incident?  Ours occurred at approximately 4pm AEST.  Which would be around 11:30am in India I believe.

Cheers,
2020-1-5
Use props
fansbcb29bc3
lvl.2

United States

Skyveyor112 Posted at 1-5 15:24

Did you see any arcing near the battery terminal like pictured above on the second unit?

Nope. No burnt plastic or any scorch marks to point suggest any arcing. The battery did, however, separate from the drone after impact. So in Sandeep's case, if the battery separated from drone after impact like mine did, the arcing in his case could have been caused by the separation of the battery and not during the flight.
2020-1-5
Use props
DJI4Survey
lvl.4
Australia

Hey fansbcb29bc3,

Our failure occurred at 100m, 7m56s into the flight.  64% battery.  We do not see the sudden voltage drop in the log.  It shows all good at time of failure, all cells balanced and operating normally.

However, I had to get the log off the controller, as I cannot get the log off the drone successfully due to the damage.

We have our supplier raising a warranty request with DJI, will keep everyone posted.

What firmware version were you both operating?

Cheers,
2020-1-5
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

DJI4Survey Posted at 1-5 17:57
Hey fansbcb29bc3,

Our failure occurred at 100m, 7m56s into the flight.  64% battery.  We do not see the sudden voltage drop in the log.  It shows all good at time of failure, all cells balanced and operating normally.

"Our failure occurred at 100m, 7m56s into the flight.  64% battery.  We do not see the sudden voltage drop in the log.  It shows all good at time of failure, all cells balanced and operating normally."

That is pretty much what happens with a connector failure, everything looks OK up until the whole aircraft shuts down. And it won't write anything about it in the log because the whole thing is suddenly without power. The connector issue has been around for several years, and is isolated to the P4 series aircraft. The previous model, the P3, had a much more robust spade connector design for the battery connection. If you go back over earlier posts on this forum, you will see quite a lot of photos of melted connected and burnt connections, just like the photos in thisa post, only worse.
2020-1-5
Use props
DJI4Survey
lvl.4
Australia

Hey Geebax,

Thanks for the heads up.  It looks to be the connector issue as you mentioned.  OEM battery.  Burnt connections present.  Under warranty, so fingers crossed should be a straight swap.  

Gimbal, legs and shell cactus.  

Being a P4RTK, will be interesting to see if they are less inclined to replace.

Cheers for the help.
2020-1-6
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

DJI4Survey Posted at 1-6 16:15
Hey Geebax,

Thanks for the heads up.  It looks to be the connector issue as you mentioned.  OEM battery.  Burnt connections present.  Under warranty, so fingers crossed should be a straight swap.  

I hope they do, because both halves need to be replaced, the battery and its corresponding socket in the body of the aircraft.
2020-1-6
Use props
Sandeep1972
lvl.2

India

DJI4Survey Posted at 1-5 13:31
Hey Sandeep,

This is going to sound like a conspiracy theory.  But we had a P4RTK (our first out of 11 units) go down on the 19th of December.

Hi,

Thanks for writing back and supporting this post. My crash happened at 11:33am IST.

2020-1-6
Use props
Sandeep1972
lvl.2

India

Hello to ALL,

As mentioned earlier I have 2 scenarios to share. Both crashes occurred on 19th Dec2019 one was at 11:33am and the other at 4:55pm. Both he crashes occurred due to the plastic  melting and covering the contacts which result to a sudden power off and resulting in a crash.  The RTK dropped from 90M height and the P4 PRO dropped from 73m. And strangely the temperature reported is 46deg C for RTK and 67deg C for the P4 Pro.

I request all to check the battery terminals for any signs of melting or deforming due to heat.

2020-1-6
Use props
Sandeep1972
lvl.2

India

THis is the log file from the P4 PRO
2020-1-6
Use props
Sandeep1972
lvl.2

India

DJI4Survey Posted at 1-5 15:52
Hey Sandeep,

What was the time of your incident?  Ours occurred at approximately 4pm AEST.  Which would be around 11:30am in India I believe.

HI,

Yes, you are right its 11:33am IST.
2020-1-6
Use props
Sandeep1972
lvl.2

India

I was able to extract all the Logs from the P4 RTK radio from April 2019 till the crash occurred and results are below.

2020-1-6
Use props
Sandeep1972
lvl.2

India

Skyveyor112 Posted at 1-5 15:24

Did you see any arcing near the battery terminal like pictured above on the second unit?

Hi,

THis is happening during the flight so its difficult to tell. Also after the crash the damage done is more.
Its only the visual observation on the terminals show that something has happened which lead to the melting of the plastic and resulting in power loss.

The battery is original DJI as can be seen there is serial no printed, need to check with dji database to be sure.

2020-1-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules