Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Overheating processor error message
9077 20 2020-1-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Vim Fueago
lvl.1
Flight distance : 21558 ft
United Kingdom

The app was showing a message about the processor temperature overheating.  Is this something to be concerned about?

Could it be caused by powering up the drone with the humble cover still fitted? I Accidently have done this a couple of times, and it gave a similarly scary message about the gimble axis being in error (I forget the exact wording).  Are any of these things to be concerned about?

Both errors were seen whilst not flying.

2020-1-3
Use props
JodyB
Captain
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

Did you just power the drone up and leave it sitting without flying it for a period of time? If so, this could be the cause of it. The mini does not have a cooling fan and really depends on the air from flight to help keep it cool. You should be able to power it up for short periods, like for firmware updates and the likes, but longer periods I personally don't.
2020-1-3
Use props
DowntownRDB
Captain
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Like JodyB said in his post, I would bet that the overheating was caused by the mini not being in flight and not able to cool down via the body vents.  If you leave the Gimbal cover on when you start the AC the Gimbal can't go through its startup check which is why you saw the Gimbal Axis error.  Please be careful and try to always remember to remove the Gimbal Cover before starting the AC to prevent very expensive damage to the Gimbal assembly.  

If you do see the processor overheting error during flight then I would recommend you land and contact DJI support as that would be abnormal.  
2020-1-3
Use props
Vim Fueago
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 1-3 13:57
Like JodyB said in his post, I would bet that the overheating was caused by the mini not being in flight and not able to cool down via the body vents.  If you leave the Gimbal cover when you start the AC the Gimbal can't go through its startup check which is why you saw the Gimbal Axis error.  Please be careful and try to always remember to remove the Gimbal Cover before starting the AC to prevent very expensive damage to the Gimbal assembly.  

If you do see the processor overheting error during flight then I would recommend you land and contact DJI support as that would be abnormal.

I did have it powered up, but not flying, as I wanted to download videos from the drone.  Have I missed something obvious here as this is the only way I could get it to do this?  ( The drone needed to be powered up to doe load the videos).  I know I could take be SD card out, but then I don't get the quickshots features...

What am I missing here? I don't want to damage my drone, but there appears to be some usability gaps in the manuals...

Thanks.
2020-1-3
Use props
lannes
Captain
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Vim Fueago Posted at 1-3 14:55
I did have it powered up, but not flying, as I wanted to download videos from the drone.  Have I missed something obvious here as this is the only way I could get it to do this?  ( The drone needed to be powered up to doe load the videos).  I know I could take be SD card out, but then I don't get the quickshots features...

What am I missing here? I don't want to damage my drone, but there appears to be some usability gaps in the manuals...

Any videos taken whether they are quickshots or normal should have been recorded on the SD card.
So if you take the SD card out and place it into your  PC you should see all the videos in the DCIM / 100media folder
2020-1-3
Use props
JodyB
Captain
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

Lannes is right. This is how I retrieve my videos/photos. Just take the SD card out of the mini and pop it into my computer.
2020-1-3
Use props
Sigmo
Second Officer
United States

I just had this happen to me yesterday,too.

I was trying to update the firmware in my batteries, and had the drone sitting on the floor, not flying.

I got that overheating processor error.  I'm not sure how long it sat there roasting itself that way before I noticed the warning on my phone.  Hopefully, I didn't cook it too badly!  

In the future, if I'm going to leave the drone on but not flying, I may set it on a small computer fan to keep some airflow through the Mini.  As with many other electronic things, overheating is especially bad at higher elevations due to the lower air density.   PCs overheat, external HDDs roast, etc.  So I'm used to providing some extra forced-air cooling for a lot of gadgets that might do just fine at sea level with only natural convection cooling.

But it does sound like these Minis are really expected to be flying, and shouldn't be left sitting while switched on no matter where you live.

I've always been in the habit of pulling the SD or CF cards out of cameras to transfer files to a PC or other device because it's usually so much faster, so that's what I do with the Mini, too.  But I can see how trying to transfer files via WiFi or whatever would be another scenario where one might have their Mini sitting, powered on, for quite a while.

2020-1-3
Use props
Vim Fueago
lvl.1
United Kingdom

So essentially quickshots is useless, as you have to download the videos using the app, but by doing so your drone will overheating.   That's really not good.
2020-1-4
Use props
Euande
lvl.1
Australia

I got the processor overheating error recently - but I was trying to take off when the air temperature was 45 degrees (celcius) - no flying that day.
2020-1-4
Use props
Sigmo
Second Officer
United States

Don't the recordings made using quickshots get written to the SD card?  I've read the instruction manual, and it doesn't say.  But it seems like it would be very strange if those recordings don't get written to the card like all other recordings.
2020-1-4
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Vim Fueago. Thank you for reaching out and for the information you have shared with us. The DJI Mavic Mini does not have a fan, so it uses the heat sink on the bottom of the aircraft to dissipate heat. After the aircraft is powered on(about 15 min) and kept on a flat surface ( such as ground or a desk ) for a while, the heat dissipation will be affected, as the surface is close to the heat sink. In this case, the aircraft should be turned off and kept idle for a while to drop its temperature before using it again. In addition the DJI Mavic Mini uses a heat sink at the bottom of the aircraft and heat-dissipation holes on both sides of the battery compartment's external shell to dissipate heat. Thank you.
2020-1-4
Use props
Vim Fueago
lvl.1
United Kingdom

How can I do qiickshots without it overheating? The drone itself only has the raw videos, I need to connect via the controller and app to get these created.

Please advise.
2020-1-4
Use props
fansbd5c48d6
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1481995 ft
United States

Quick Shots are recorded to the SD card just like any other video. Just remove the card to transfer. IF you are talking about downloading for editing within the DJI built in app then it can be a problem. Others have just set the MM in front of a small fan to create air flow through the AC.  The internal fan was probably omitted for weight savings.
2020-1-4
Use props
Vim Fueago
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Quickshots appear to be generated by the APP from short snippets of video stored on the drone. If you take the SD card out and use that, you don't have quickshots, you have short video clips.

It essentially means you can't get quickshots without the drone overheating.  Unless i am missing something obvious (like a way to power up the drone in a low power data transfer mode for example).

Will raise an official ticket with DJI for advice on this
2020-1-5
Use props
lannes
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

Vim Fueago Posted at 1-5 01:01
Quickshots appear to be generated by the APP from short snippets of video stored on the drone. If you take the SD card out and use that, you don't have quickshots, you have short video clips.

It essentially means you can't get quickshots without the drone overheating.  Unless i am missing something obvious (like a way to power up the drone in a low power data transfer mode for example).

I am not sure I quite understand what your saying

Quickshots are 15 second video clips of a particular preset flight pattern, the video they create is just like any other video

While the AC is turned on , you can hit the play button in the camera view and open up the photo and video folder, there you can just tap on the quickshots video to open it, in the bottom left hand part of the screen you'll see the download button.

This will download the video to your phone/tablet, it will then be available in the DJI Fly "Album" for editing and applying the  templates to your content without the AC being on or connected.
2020-1-5
Use props
m80116
Captain
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

I noticed that powering this drone still causes a considerable heat build up, despite vent slots. So I resorted to start the propellers from time to time to cool the electronics

The only downside I think the drone accumulated more flying cycles than it normally would.
2020-1-5
Use props
m80116
Captain
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

I am sorry I do apologize for the 2nd post, I have problems with posting not being registered.
2020-1-5
Use props
Vim Fueago
lvl.1
United Kingdom

lannes Posted at 1-5 02:18
I am not sure I quite understand what your saying

Quickshots are 15 second video clips of a particular preset flight pattern, the video they create is just like any other video

Quickshots are created by the app, not the drone. By just getting the files from the SD cards you only have the video files without the slow motion or wound effects.  The drone does not create these effects they are created after downloading from the drone to the app.  Unless I am totally missing something obvious.
2020-1-5
Use props
lannes
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

m80116 Posted at 1-5 03:27
I noticed that powering this drone still causes a considerable heat build up, despite vent slots. So I resorted to start the propellers from time to time to cool the electronics

The only downside I think the drone accumulated more flying cycles than it normally would.

Just get a router cooling fan

2020-1-5
Use props
fansbd5c48d6
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1481995 ft
United States

I think what we have is a misunderstanding of terminology. A Quick Shot is an automated video using a pre programmed flight path in the Fly application. It is recorded as a video clip on the SD card same as the other videos. I believe what you are trying to do is download the Quick Shot clip into the Fly app where slow motion and other editing can take place and then the finished video saved.

I have messed with the built in app a little but found It difficult to accurately edit using the small screen of my display device. I think most of us just remove the SD card, transfer the clips to a computer and edit using various available apps.

But if that is what you are wanting to do there is nothing wrong with that. But as suggested you will probably need a fan blowing on the MM to keep it cool.
2020-1-5
Use props
djiuser_eX1u8pzHQNjF
New

United States

I just posted a firmware + processor overheat posting here:   
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=202437&page=1&extra=#pid2641713
Overheating issues? thread.  

Unless I am unconvinced of this by further evidence or info from DJI, so far my experience with two DJI Mini SE drones is they work fine before the latest firmware is applied.  I'm thinking DJI's latest firmware code is possibly overclocking the processor or there is a bug (which results in excess heat), maybe in an attempt to speed up some functionality.   I've seen others saying if you leave it on the home pad (or just sitting flat somewhere, not flying) it will overheat - but that was not my experience at all until the firmware was updated.   
2022-1-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules