3482 25 2020-1-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AntDX316
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just a super quick test.  I couldn't get out of the tutorial.  It wanted me to tap so it flies to where I tap on the next step.  Landed before finding out what would happen.  It's night out and the feed when I was near it was M2P grade.  I don't have the controller so I won't be able to test it at night.

Auto take off went pretty high so I went for a land but then was like let me try again.  There are 5 lights up by the ceiling which it avoided but where I was standing I couldn't tell if it was going to hit it.  In the video it was moving but didn't notice until I watched the recording as I nearly always take-off in 3rd person.

I can assume that when it automatically likes to fly where it thinks its clear, if you are in a lit area it may fly into a dark area and crash.  I have APAS off on all the DJI drones for this reason and others.

650MB for under a 60 second clip at 4K60 HDR H.265.   

2020-1-3
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

How do you like it? have you had a chance to do some real world testing?
2020-1-3
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Woe Posted at 1-3 20:02
How do you like it? have you had a chance to do some real world testing?

I never even used it other than this indoor test.  I will test outdoors when the weather permits.

The USB-C connector is at the top w/ no port cover, like directly at the top flat and 100% exposed.  If it rains, I'm sure this is going to be an issue.  You charge the battery while it's on the drone if you didn't buy the dual charger, there is no other way.  The battery is attached by strong magnets to the drone from the bottom w/ no clips, yes no clips not even a slot.  You also can download the files with USB-C connected to the PC w/o turning the drone on.  This makes life easier.

For those thinking about buying,
The way it's designed.. it should be assumed to have excellent drone knowledge prior or at least a high amount of understanding on how OA works.
2020-1-3
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>
United States

AntDX316 Posted at 1-3 20:06
I never even used it other than this indoor test.  I will test outdoors when the weather permits.

The USB-C connector is at the top w/ no port cover, like directly at the top flat and 100% exposed.  If it rains, I'm sure this is going to be an issue.  You charge the battery while it's on the drone if you didn't buy the dual charger, there is no other way.  The battery is attached by strong magnets to the drone, no clips, yes no clips at all.  You also can download the files with USB-C connected to the PC.  This makes life easier.

I considering getting one, but want to know it's true
abilities. also would like to know the range with the
controller. I have watched a few YT videos , but most
of them are being paid to stretch the truth.
2020-1-3
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Woe Posted at 1-3 20:31
I considering getting one, but want to know it's true

I got the drone to follow me around or follow something around.  If I need distance flight I use the DJI drones as they always work.
2020-1-3
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>
United States

AntDX316 Posted at 1-3 20:33
I got the drone to follow me around or follow something around.  If I need distance flight I use the DJI drones as they always work.

Got it. Once you get to do some real testing, I would love to hear
what you really think about it.
2020-1-3
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Woe Posted at 1-3 20:37
Got it. Once you get to do some real testing, I would love to hear
what you really think about it.

yeah, I will be able to know the limits but I only have 1 battery but I've flown the other drones so many times that I know what to look for
2020-1-3
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I considering getting one, but want to know it's true

The range test wasn't amazing, -
2020-1-5
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I considering getting one, but want to know it's true

And the OA to me doesn't seem that great,  loosing GPS in the woods in winter doesn't sound good to me.

2020-1-5
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

DAFlys Posted at 1-5 06:07
And the OA to me doesn't seem that great,  loosing GPS in the woods in winter doesn't sound good to me.

I'm not sure if we were watching the same video, the OA on this drone is amazing,  even when it lost contact it was able to fly through a lot of branches without crashing and to be able to be flown back into contact manually with OA assistance to dodge the branches is very cool.

I don't think the M2P would have made the first few meters without encountering a problem

2020-1-5
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

lannes Posted at 1-5 06:24
I'm not sure if we were watching the same video, the OA on this drone is amazing,  even when it lost contact it was able to fly through a lot of branches without crashing and to be able to be flown back into contact manually with OA assistance to dodge the branches is pretty cool.

err,  it did crash at the end.  It also lost him enough that he said you have to keep watching it to make sure its still with you, which defeats the purpose for sports people.  That and the loosing GPS signals under leafless trees.
2020-1-5
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>
United States

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQlyV0XqoSs

Agreed. That doesn't look good.
2020-1-5
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>
United States

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQlyV0XqoSs

look like it may be fly away prone. It tends to
keep flying instead of just hovering in place.
2020-1-5
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Woe Posted at 1-5 07:25
Agreed. That doesn't look good.

Its probably better than the mavics, but if its not good enough to be trusted then I don't see the point.
2020-1-5
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Woe Posted at 1-5 07:27
look like it may be fly away prone. It tends to
keep flying instead of just hovering in place.

Totally agree with you.  
2020-1-5
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 1-5 07:31
Its probably better than the mavics, but if its not good enough to be trusted then I don't see the point.

Agreed! I'll stick with my Mavics for now.
2020-1-5
Use props
Francis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 774203 ft
Brazil

I pray to appear a good drone brand  other than  DJI. But at first sight it is hard to believe that this is not just a toy.
2020-1-5
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

I’ve had mine for 5 days now.  I have the controller, the beacon and 2 batteries.  What I will tell you is this drone needs to be seen and flown with both of these to have an understanding of it.  Using just a phone sucks.  The camera is a just a peach.  If you hate editing, this is your camera for out of the box shots.  The obstacle avoidance is actually quite mind boggling.  It needs to be experienced and not viewed in a video. The way this drone flies past you at full tilt while keeping you in focus is... shocking.  I adore this thing.  Will it replace my DJI drones?  No, but I like all drones.  And this thing is a different animal all together.  And yes it has telemetry now.  They had that out on Christmas.
2020-1-5
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Oracle Miata Posted at 1-5 13:55
I’ve had mine for 5 days now.  I have the controller, the beacon and 2 batteries.  What I will tell you is this drone needs to be seen and flown with both of these to have an understanding of it.  Using just a phone sucks.  The camera is a just a peach.  If you hate editing, this is your camera for out of the box shots.  The obstacle avoidance is actually quite mind boggling.  It needs to be experienced and not viewed in a video. The way this drone flies past you at full tilt while keeping you in focus is... shocking.  I adore this thing.  Will it replace my DJI drones?  No, but I like all drones.  And this thing is a different animal all together.  And yes it has telemetry now.  They had that out on Christmas.

You do not need the controller nor the beacon.  I've tested the other modes (skill modes only).  I forgot to start the screen recorder.  If you fly too high, subject lost.  If you set motion tracking but it's difficult to tell which face of the object is left, right, front, back, etc. it won't rotate.  You are better off using fixed track.  I did not have Garmin GLO 2 on this test.  It did an Excellent job at keeping up tbh.  I wish it could be better but the lack of the GPS and Beacon could've been an issue.  Better than the DJI drone by far because once you are out of the cameras, the drone just sits.  If the follow-me mode gets lost a bit on the DJI drone, the drone just sits.  I haven't tested it going say 40mph though but I will do tests later.  I'm just worried it would sit and land where it's at.  DJI drones sit, but waits for your call or it flies back to home point which is very very important.

I was testing all the skill shot modes in this.  I forgot to have the screen recorder on.  Hover mode is straight amazing.  It's basically like this but does more than just sit there.
https://soloshot.com/

Also, with just the phone, it won't let you fly say 500m.  It stays at like 100ft and goes no more.  It doesn't allow you to fly beyond a certain limit which is great.  You need the controller for that.

I don't think I would ever get the controller because the cut-outs make my flying confidence drop.  With the DJI drones, they are all usually rock solid.  It makes life easy and safer this way.

I will definitely do more test in the future.  Does anyone even know if the DJI follow-me modes use APAS or will it just crash or stop when an obstacle is in the way of it's future path?  What totally sucks is the fact you have the have the Huge controller with you which is why I don't bother testing it unless you want to follow you on your boat or something.
2020-1-5
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

AntDX316 Posted at 1-5 16:23
You do not need the controller nor the beacon.  I've tested the other modes (skill modes only).  I forgot to start the screen recorder.  If you fly too high, subject lost.  If you set motion tracking but it's difficult to tell which face of the object is left, right, front, back, etc. it won't rotate.  You are better off using fixed track.  I did not have Garmin GLO 2 on this test.  It did an Excellent job at keeping up tbh.  I wish it could be better but the lack of the GPS and Beacon could've been an issue.  Better than the DJI drone by far because once you are out of the cameras, the drone just sits.  If the follow-me mode gets lost a bit on the DJI drone, the drone just sits.  I haven't tested it going say 40mph though but I will do tests later.  I'm just worried it would sit and land where it's at.  DJI drones sit, but waits for your call or it flies back to home point which is very very important.

I was testing all the skill shot modes in this.  I forgot to have the screen recorder on.  Hover mode is straight amazing.  It's basically like this but does more than just sit there.
I couldn’t disagree more.  You need the controller and the beacon to get the full experience.  Bottom line.  My controller experience has been quite good, but again I fly VLOS.  I haven’t had a single disconnect nor any visual breakup.  Also, the conditions in your video are pretty low light.  I wouldn’t trust the Skydio under those conditions with just my phone.  
2020-1-5
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Oracle Miata Posted at 1-5 17:17
I couldn’t disagree more.  You need the controller and the beacon to get the full experience.  Bottom line.  My controller experience has been quite good, but again I fly VLOS.  I haven’t had a single disconnect nor any visual breakup.  Also, the conditions in your video are pretty low light.  I wouldn’t trust the Skydio under those conditions with just my phone.

Yeah, I was in a rush because of church.  At the very end, the drone said low-light warnings so I landed and left.

I didn't get the drone to fly manually at all.  The drone does not have any RTH button so I'm worried it would land on the spot or miss some obstacles.  There is no way to set an RTH altitude.

Numerous times I can setup the DJI drones and go 500m out w/ zero issues like I'm 10ft away from it feed wise.
2020-1-5
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Woe Posted at 1-5 08:44
Agreed! I'll stick with my Mavics for now.

Yep, doing the same here too.
2020-1-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Oracle Miata Posted at 1-5 17:17

I think from what I see is although it can avoid obstacles like no other drone, it’s not infallible there are two cases on you tube of it crashing when it shouldn’t in one incident it crashed on Rth which is very strange, Rth is an absolute necessity and if it can’t be trusted to preform this with all its tech, then it’s still lacking something, I’m certain that all members here would be up in arms if Rth didn’t work correctly and there was a real danger of them losing their drone.

BTW this hit a wire and just dropped in the road .
2020-1-12
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I just did a test w/ the Skydio 2 w/ No Beacon and the tracking it did was just unbelievable in a way unfathomable.  Youtube is processing the footages now.  It just tracked me around a house with the house completely in between me and the drone and I mean completely!!!!  I don't think it can do it without GPS on the phone, there is no way.   100% you do not need the beacon.  I got the drone not at launch firmware as being 4 hours procrastinating, I didn't know what the first firmware was like that they shipped it at the end of December.

This is beyond what they were demonstrating on their video.  It's actually better with boggles my mind.
2020-1-12
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

AntDX316 Posted at 1-12 15:06
I just did a test w/ the Skydio 2 w/ No Beacon and the tracking it did was just unbelievable in a way unfathomable.  Youtube is processing the footages now.  It just tracked me around a house with the house completely in between me and the drone and I mean completely!!!!  I don't think it can do it without GPS on the phone, there is no way.   100% you do not need the beacon.  I got the drone not at launch firmware as being 4 hours procrastinating, I didn't know what the first firmware was like that they shipped it at the end of December.

This is beyond what they were demonstrating on their video.  It's actually better with boggles my mind.

If you want to get the MOST out of this drone's tracking ability, you 100% need the beacon.  
2020-1-13
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Oracle Miata Posted at 1-13 12:14
If you want to get the MOST out of this drone's tacking ability, you 100% need the beacon.

It's on the way.  Ordered it when I ordered the Skydio 2 but it didn't ship on the same day.
2020-1-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules