1933 23 2020-1-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

One of the biggest mysteries of drone-ing regulations and restrictions ... Does 250 g makes much of the difference when lands on my head after 400' free fall? ... How big havoc on a busy interstate highway this piece of wood will cause when dropped off an overpass by a tenageer ? ...

250g.jpg
2020-1-4
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

this is a joke, right?  
2020-1-4
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

The Saint Posted at 1-4 19:58
this is a joke, right?

Hmm, yes and ... no. It's a satire, an attempt to ridicule the hype that drones weighing less than 250 g are somehow, miraculously, less dangerous than heavy lifters. Therefore there's no need to educate or certify pilots of such small UAVs.

Of course, Mavic Mini and - say - Inspire are representing different level of danger to an object hit on the ground. The laws of physics ... But does it really matter if it's "only" 250 g or 5 kg? Believe, it doesn't ...   
2020-1-5
Use props
WrongWay Feldman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 19885 ft
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 1-5 01:57
The potential energy of 250 grams of falling Mini is not at all comparable to the energy of a solid block of falling wood.

That's true, the block of wood does not have sharp blades spinning around as well.
2020-1-5
Use props
Arcicorsa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 235892 ft
Czechia

If we calculate potential energy in vacuum will be potential energy same for Mini and wood block... Concretely if Mini and wood block will be drop from 400m so on impact the energy will be 981J (Ep = m * g * h).... In earth atmosphere i expect that Mini with stoped morors have more potential energy than wood block because Mini have better aerodinamic and his fall speed is to bigger than wood block.
2020-1-5
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just because you don't need to register doesn't mean that the rules to fly don't apply,  You still have to keep a distance from people, highways etc.
2020-1-5
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 1-5 01:28
Hmm, yes and ... no. It's a satire, an attempt to ridicule the hype that drones weighing less than 250 g are somehow, miraculously, less dangerous than heavy lifters. Therefore there's no need to educate or certify pilots of such small UAVs.

Of course, Mavic Mini and - say - Inspire are representing different level of danger to an object hit on the ground. The laws of physics ... But does it really matter if it's "only" 250 g or 5 kg? Believe, it doesn't ...

It’s not “miraculius” that sub-250g drones are less dangerous than heavy lifters. It’s physics.
Also, following your proposed experiment of throwing the Mini and a block of wood from a bridge. Try that and see what condition the object is in after hitting the concrete. The block of wood will be in one piece while the Mini will be in many pieces. That tells us that a ton of the energy is absorbed by the drone breaking apart while the block of wood will transfer almost all the energy to its “target”
2020-1-5
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

just as I thought, a bad joke.  comparing safety flying drones in and around the "motorway" to unruly delinquent kids illegally tossing debris (which just so happens to weight about the same as the mini) off the overpass onto oncoming traffic with intent to do major damage.  one event happens all the time and the other event happens....never.
2020-1-5
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Ice_2k Posted at 1-5 15:39
It’s not “miraculius” that sub-250g drones are less dangerous than heavy lifters. It’s physics.
Also, following your proposed experiment of throwing the Mini and a block of wood from a bridge. Try that and see what condition the object is in after hitting the concrete. The block of wood will be in one piece while the Mini will be in many pieces. That tells us that a ton of the energy is absorbed by the drone breaking apart while the block of wood will transfer almost all the energy to its “target”

Good point, but these are just irrelevant details of possible outcome. My point is that Mavic Mini is NOT a 250 g weighing soft pillow. My point is that Mavic Mini is still dangerous enough. In exactly the same way as any other UAV, to be precise. Mavic Mini is nothing more but yet another, ruthless attempt to milk this poor, dying cow called "consumer droning" before last FAA branded nails will be driven into the coffin lid ...
2020-1-5
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Somebody is trying to get some extra points by starting a thread
2020-1-5
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

The Saint Posted at 1-5 15:44
just as I thought, a bad joke.  comparing safety flying drones in and around the "motorway" to unruly delinquent kids illegally tossing debris (which just so happens to weight about the same as the mini) off the overpass onto oncoming traffic with intent to do major damage.  one event happens all the time and the other event happens....never.

In contrary, joking wasn't my intention at all. My goal is to expose the absurdity of considering 250 g weighing drone as a harmless flying apparatus, therefore not requiring pilot's certificate to operate. That's all ...
2020-1-5
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 1-5 16:52
In contrary, joking wasn't my intention at all. My goal is to expose the absurdity of considering 250 g weighing drone as a harmless flying apparatus, therefore not requiring pilot's certificate to operate. That's all ...

how is a government pilot's certificate supposed to make a difference?  you think someone with a knot on their head is going to care if you have a certificate or not?

(here comes the ridiculous answer:  even though there are zero drones falling on the heads of people below, the only way to make sure that number remains at zero is to get all the drone' registered and all the pilots tested).

tell you want, you stay on your side of the border and you lobby your own government to become more involved in the lives of law-abiding citizens with a ton more rules and regulations and let us continue to live our lives as free citizens here in America.
2020-1-5
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Lucas775 Posted at 1-5 16:44
Somebody is trying to get some extra points by starting a thread

Now, this is funny! I've spent some $25K on DJI stuff by far ... Do you really think I care about $25 bonus ?
2020-1-5
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 1-5 17:11
Now, this is funny! I've spent some $25K on DJI stuff by far ... Do you really think I care about $25 bonus ?

From what you have on your avatar you got screwed if you spent 25G on those.
2020-1-5
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

The Saint Posted at 1-5 17:04
how is a government pilot's certificate supposed to make a difference?  you think someone with a knot on their head is going to care if you have a certificate or not?

(here comes the ridiculous answer:  even though there are zero drones falling on the heads of people below, the only way to make sure that number remains at zero is to get all the drone' registered and all the pilots tested).

Before you spread your eagle's wings wide and overshadow my maple leaf completely ... I agree with you, all these draconic rules, restrictions, geofencing etc. are just plain stupid chains on our freedom! I'm with you, Brother! Stand up!

Which has absolutely nothing to do with 250 g limit as being safer ...
2020-1-5
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Lucas775 Posted at 1-5 17:24
From what you have on your avatar you got screwed if you spent 25G on those.

Haha, don't believe what you see on Internet! My most expensive tools were activated by a dealer and tested thoroughly before purchase. That's why you don't see the full inventory .
2020-1-5
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 1-5 17:36
Haha, don't believe what you see on Internet! My most expensive tools were activated by a dealer and tested thoroughly before purchase. That's why you don't see the full inventory .

Chill, I agree with you.  I got couple of Inspires that don't show up on my avatar list.  Have a great day mate!
2020-1-5
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Lucas775 Posted at 1-5 17:38
Chill, I agree with you.  I got couple of Inspires that don't show up on my avatar list.  Have a great day mate!

Same to you ...
2020-1-5
Use props
David Martin Graff
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

I wouldn't want to sink my battleship....Lol
2020-1-5
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

The potential energy would be same if MM & Wood Block were falling in vacuum.  

Two issues come into play.  Wind resistance and give on impact.
MM, mostly intake, is going to fall slower due to props and arms.
MM, has some give on impact due to arms and plastic body.  
2020-1-5
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

The Saint Posted at 1-5 17:04
how is a government pilot's certificate supposed to make a difference?  you think someone with a knot on their head is going to care if you have a certificate or not?

(here comes the ridiculous answer:  even though there are zero drones falling on the heads of people below, the only way to make sure that number remains at zero is to get all the drone' registered and all the pilots tested).

Exactly!  Government's suggested "idea" that mandatory drone registration and pilot testing is going to keep drones from falling on people's heads is bupkis.   Even if drones were falling on people's heads, registration and testing isn't going to stop criminals, stupidity, or failure.  

Might reduce some instances of stupidity.  But doubtful when you factor in warning stickers like:

2020-1-5
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Dirty Bird Posted at 1-5 17:45
Last year alone hundreds of people were killed by hammers & blunt objects.  In the history of all time, exactly ZERO people have been killed by consumer drones.   Should we impose hammer licensing & certification?  Perhaps baseball bat registration?  Billions of unlicensed birds take to the skies each day.  The entire drone phobia frenzy is hysterical nonsense.   It is a solution in search of a problem.

Exactly my point! Thus why to distinguish drones below and above 250 g as a two separate groups? All consumer class UAVs should be operated under a single assembly of rules, where the requirement for pilot certificate is of the least importance. Chances of bodily harm caused by my rhetoric 250 g falling wood block are the same as with 5 Kg meteorite. Next to none ...
2020-1-5
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 1-5 18:39
Exactly my point! Thus why to distinguish drones below and above 250 g as a two separate groups? All consumer class UAVs should be operated under a single assembly of rules, where the requirement for pilot certificate is of the least importance. Chances of bodily harm caused by my rhetoric 250 g falling wood block are the same as with 5 Kg meteorite. Next to none ...

ok, I think we're all on the same page; it's all cool.  
2020-1-5
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

The Saint Posted at 1-5 18:49
ok, I think we're all on the same page; it's all cool.

Naturally all brooms will be confiscated by government's inquisitors and all witches wiped off the sky in 2-3 years, no matter how loud we'll cry . The sky is the limit, but only for Amazon ...
2020-1-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules