Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Cellphone shuts off in cold
1142 13 2020-1-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bonmot
lvl.3
Flight distance : 382815 ft
Canada

Tried my first flight fun and exciting!
Hovered a little and landed. All good.
But it was 2C/36F outside. The cellphone turned off after 5 minutes. I just landed by pulling the left stick down.
So any advice how to fly in cold?
Is a power bank going to help?
Thanks
2020-1-5
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day bonmot. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing these informtaion with us. I will be posting an official DJI Tutorial video on how to flu in cold and hot weather. I hope this video can help you. Thank you.

2020-1-5
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Usually the cellphone battery will shutdown for battery drainage specially in cold weather when heavily used.
2020-1-5
Use props
bonmot
lvl.3
Canada

Lucas775 Posted at 1-5 13:12
Usually the cellphone battery will shutdown for battery drainage specially in cold weather when heavily used.

Yes, you are right. The next time when I turned on the iPhone, it showed 60% battery, with a message box saying last time shutdown was because "Battery couldn't support a peak power request ..."
2020-1-5
Use props
bonmot
lvl.3
Canada

DJI Stephen Posted at 1-5 12:40
Hello and good day bonmot. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing these informtaion with us. I will be posting an official DJI Tutorial video on how to flu in cold and hot weather. I hope this video can help you. Thank you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmYlKhx_-l0

Hi Stephen
Thanks for the tips. Good information.
Both remote and iPhone shutdown in cold weather with the drone in the air could be the worst.
But it seems like the remote control is much better than the iPhone in cold.
Can I charge the remote while flying. For example using the car charger and stand near my car.
2020-1-5
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

bonmot Posted at 1-5 18:38
Hi Stephen
Thanks for the tips. Good information.
Both remote and iPhone shutdown in cold weather with the drone in the air could be the worst.

You are very much welcome bonmot. This process might work but please be careful of the downside. The car is made of metal and it might interfere with the signals from the remote to the drone when the drone is on flight. Thank you and please fly safe always.
2020-1-6
Use props
bonmot
lvl.3
Canada

DJI Stephen Posted at 1-6 11:04
You are very much welcome bonmot. This process might work but please be careful of the downside. The car is made of metal and it might interfere with the signals from the remote to the drone when the drone is on flight. Thank you and please fly safe always.

Thanks Stephen
Very good point. Big metal may affect the compass too. I will be careful.
Can you confirm that if the USB-A at the bottom of the remote is able to charge the iPhone same way as the micro-A USB port on the side of the remote?
Thanks
2020-1-6
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

bonmot Posted at 1-6 11:11
Thanks Stephen
Very good point. Big metal may affect the compass too. I will be careful.
Can you confirm that if the USB-A at the bottom of the remote is able to charge the iPhone same way as the micro-A USB port on the side of the remote?

You are very much welcome bonmot. The bottom USB-A will also charge the mobile device connected to the remote controller. The remote controller charges the mobile device with a charging ability of 500 mA@5V. The remote controller automatically charges Android devices and for iOS devices, first be sure that charging is enabled in the DJI Go 4 application. Charging for iOS devices is disabled by default and needs to be enabled each time the remote controller is powered on. Just a reminder that if you will use the bottom USB-A port of the said remote controller please detach the micro USB on the side port of the said of the remote controller. Thank you.
2020-1-6
Use props
bonmot
lvl.3
Canada

DJI Stephen Posted at 1-6 11:44
You are very much welcome bonmot. The bottom USB-A will also charge the mobile device connected to the remote controller. The remote controller charges the mobile device with a charging ability of 500 mA@5V. The remote controller automatically charges Android devices and for iOS devices, first be sure that charging is enabled in the DJI Go 4 application. Charging for iOS devices is disabled by default and needs to be enabled each time the remote controller is powered on. Just a reminder that if you will use the bottom USB-A port of the said remote controller please detach the micro USB on the side port of the said of the remote controller. Thank you.

Just to confirm that with stock micro USB plug detached, an iPhone attached to the bottom USB-A, I can still plug the charger into the micro USB to charge.
Thanks
2020-1-6
Use props
izotop
lvl.4
Flight distance : 388763 ft

Slovenia

let me guess, iphone? they're notorious to shut down/stop working at certain low temperature (about 0-5 c), due to the "battery protection" etc, lol>.
2020-1-6
Use props
bonmot
lvl.3
Canada

izotop Posted at 1-6 12:53
let me guess, iphone? they're notorious to shut down/stop working at certain low temperature (about 0-5 c), due to the "battery protection" etc, lol>.

Actually it is not “i” related issue. There is no magic to LiPo batteries and charging IC’s. When the temperature goes below 5C, the LiPo simply cannot perform as well. One way or another: either keep going which will cause permanent damage to the batteries, or limit the discharge current. Don’t see another advantage of either option.
2020-1-6
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

bonmot Posted at 1-6 12:49
Just to confirm that with stock micro USB plug detached, an iPhone attached to the bottom USB-A, I can still plug the charger into the micro USB to charge.
Thanks

Hello and good day bonmot. With regards to this process. This process might work but how ever DJI does not recommend this process when the remote controller is in use to avoid any incident and interference while doing this process. Thank you.
2020-1-6
Use props
izotop
lvl.4
Flight distance : 388763 ft

Slovenia

bonmot Posted at 1-6 14:46
Actually it is not “i” related issue. There is no magic to LiPo batteries and charging IC’s. When the temperature goes below 5C, the LiPo simply cannot perform as well. One way or another: either keep going which will cause permanent damage to the batteries, or limit the discharge current. Don’t see another advantage of either option.

sorry, but it is in most cases. this is well known problems with iphnoes/ipads and theior metal back housings etc for years now. many other brands with same type batteries working just fine (aka not shuts down) in same conditions. can confirm with my samsungs.
https://www.getorchard.com/blog/ ... es-in-cold-weather/
pay more attention to the comments than original articla alone, but whole thging can be googeled.

so, ios stuff is maybe not the best pick for winter. or get those battery warmers or whatever.
2020-1-6
Use props
bonmot
lvl.3
Canada

Hi Stephen. Can you confirm that while the USB-A is used for iPhone the side micro USB could be used for charging the remote?
Thanks a lot.
2020-1-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules