Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans461cbed1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8117 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

Hi all,
you might have noticed your controller is charging your mobile phone (or tablet) when connected with the OTG cable...
What's the point of that small 2600mAh controller battery charging a much larger 3000-5000mAh battery on your phone or tablet?
If my phone or tablet is only 50% charged, it will still work for several hours.
This is a pure hardware configuration and the charging function can not be disabled with a simple firmware update...
So I wonder if there are OTG cables (or adapter) on the market that only transfer data and not the power.
I know there are certain usb cables that only transfer power and can't be used for data transfer. (Like cheap charging usb cables)
Does anybody know about the opposite?
So cables that only transfer data and not the power?
2020-1-6
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

I suppose you're using Android, as this is not happening for iPhones. I remember seeing a tutorial, there is a pin on the cable responsible for the +5V, you can scratch that pin off and prevent it from transferring power. I don't know if you can find something like this ready to buy.
2020-1-6
Use props
spanzetta
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1124738 ft
Italy

AFAIK the OTG power management configuration (Host/OTG-A/OTG-B device) can be controlled by SW.. if DJI want they can solve it.. I assume they are simply not taking care about that...
iPhone/iOS is not affected because has a different support (more limited) for OTG

2020-1-6
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing this information with us. Regarding the DJI Mavic Mini's remote controller charging the Android devices. In relation to this matter the Android mobile device needs on-going 500ma to maintain the USB connection, so there is no option for the Android device to disable the charging mode, it is related to the android system and the communication protocol. This is regulated by the Android Open Accessory ( AOA ). Thank you for understanding and support.
2020-1-6
Use props
fans461cbed1
lvl.2
  • >>>
Belgium

Ice_2k Posted at 1-6 07:58
I suppose you're using Android, as this is not happening for iPhones. I remember seeing a tutorial, there is a pin on the cable responsible for the +5V, you can scratch that pin off and prevent it from transferring power. I don't know if you can find something like this ready to buy.

Yes, I also thought about disconnecting the +5V wire. But those cables are so small and thin... it will be a difficult job to get a clean result...
So the Apple devices are not charging???
2020-1-6
Use props
fans461cbed1
lvl.2
  • >>>
Belgium

DJI Stephen Posted at 1-6 08:01
Hello and good day. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing this information with us. Regarding the DJI Mavic Mini's remote controller charging the Android devices. In relation to this matter the Android mobile device needs on-going 500ma to maintain the USB connection, so there is no option for the Android device to disable the charging mode, it is related to the android system and the communication protocol. This is regulated by the Android Open Accessory ( AOA ). Thank you for understanding and support.

Ok thanks Steven for fast reply!
I now understand why the power is needed.
Does this mean the max. charging current from the controller to the android device is only 0,5A?
If that's the case it is not that big of a deal.
I assumed the charging current would be higher.
2020-1-6
Use props
Akirasho
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1622238 ft
United States

Agh!   yet a other fact it would be nice to know in advance of buying.  I guess I can fight back my keeping the Samsung topped off! before a flight session!
2020-1-6
Use props
fans461cbed1
lvl.2
  • >>>
Belgium

Akirasho Posted at 1-6 08:16
Agh!   yet a other fact it would be nice to know in advance of buying.  I guess I can fight back my keeping the Samsung topped off! before a flight session!

So many things to know before we buy...
I purchased a Samsung Galaxy S9 because my older Samsung phone could not run the Fly App.
Should have purchased the Iphone... Grrr!
2020-1-6
Use props
Minnesota
lvl.4
United States

My bench test shows this issue.   The times I got were better than DJI specifies.  What I'd like to know is "Does the RC transmit when there is no drone connected?"  This could account for the longer times (uses less battery).  Perhaps someone here knows.  

2020-1-6
Use props
spanzetta
lvl.4
Italy

DJI Stephen Posted at 1-6 08:01

Sorry but reading at Wikipedia it appears that the power configuration can be controlled by SW..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_On-The-Go

USB OTG defines two roles for devices: OTG A-device and OTG B-device, specifying which side supplies power to the link, and which initially is the host. The OTG A-device is a power supplier, and an OTG B-device is a power consumer. In the default link configuration, the A-device acts as a USB host with the B-device acting as a USB peripheral. The host and peripheral modes may be exchanged later by using Host Negotiation Protocol (HNP).
2020-1-6
Use props
fans461cbed1
lvl.2
  • >>>
Belgium

Minnesota Posted at 1-6 08:21
My bench test shows this issue.   The times I got were better than DJI specifies.  What I'd like to know is "Does the RC transmit when there is no drone connected?"  This could account for the longer times (uses less battery).  Perhaps someone here knows.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQl2G3BmBvQ
Interesting video!
I suppose we don't have to worry about the current used for the androids.
It's clear that the draining current is low.
The current used (0,5A?), is lower than the discharge current on the phone.
Even with the charging function, the phone was showing lower voltage % after the test.
2020-1-6
Use props
fans461cbed1
lvl.2
  • >>>
Belgium

Specs say draining current 1200mA for Android and 700mA for IOS.
So there is the 0,5A in difference!
Battery is 2600mAh.
On Android that gives little more than 2 hours till fully discharged.
Your video test is correct I guess.
However, I would never go that far during flight
2020-1-6
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think what DJI Stephen is trying to explain is that it is required to maintain USB connection. Now, that being said, I just about say there are folks out there that has that +5v pin disconnected and maybe working just fine. To be upfront, I can't say one way or the other if it would work properly. We need some input from folks that have actually done this to confirm or deny if it truly needs the power to maintain a working USB connection. If it doesn't, then DJI needs to do some testing in that area. But they maybe going by the protocols they mentioned and are required by those protocols to do it in the way they are. Needs quantitative input to know for sure though.
2020-1-6
Use props
Francoisd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 66352 ft
France

Ice_2k Posted at 1-6 07:58
I suppose you're using Android, as this is not happening for iPhones. I remember seeing a tutorial, there is a pin on the cable responsible for the +5V, you can scratch that pin off and prevent it from transferring power. I don't know if you can find something like this ready to buy.

Hi,

In my case, I have an Iphone 8 and it is charged by the radio through the genuine cable .
2020-1-6
Use props
ChrisM101
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4072 ft
United States

Francoisd Posted at 1-6 09:09
Hi,

In my case, I have an Iphone 8 and it is charged by the radio through the genuine cable .

It doesn't even have to be deleted just offer a soft switch. Like maybe if the phone goes to low power but its annoying.
My phone at 50% would last all day including flying. Stop trying to charge it.
2020-1-6
Use props
Akirasho
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1622238 ft
United States

Chicks love red sticks (runs and hides before being called a male pig)
2020-1-6
Use props
fans461cbed1
lvl.2
  • >>>
Belgium

Hi,

What?!?!?!?
2020-1-6
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi,

iPhone XR and iPad air 2 does not charge when connected to the RC for me.
2020-1-6
Use props
fans461cbed1
lvl.2
  • >>>
Belgium

JodyB Posted at 1-6 09:05
I think what DJI Stephen is trying to explain is that it is required to maintain USB connection. Now, that being said, I just about say there are folks out there that has that +5v pin disconnected and maybe working just fine. To be upfront, I can't say one way or the other if it would work properly. We need some input from folks that have actually done this to confirm or deny if it truly needs the power to maintain a working USB connection. If it doesn't, then DJI needs to do some testing in that area. But they maybe going by the protocols they mentioned and are required by those protocols to do it in the way they are. Needs quantitative input to know for sure though.

Stephen explained me perfectly what's the reason for the Android charge.
After reading all posts I'm sure the current is low and will not affect the working of the controller to much.
So I'm gonna leave things the way they are and not mess cutting the +5v wire.
100 minutes of operating time is more than enough to fly and discharge 3 main battery packs.
2020-1-6
Use props
Minnesota
lvl.4
United States

I think the RC was designed to provide up to 500 ma of current per the AOA standard requirement, but that doesn't mean the connected device would draw 500 ma.  
2020-1-6
Use props
Francoisd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 66352 ft
France

JodyB Posted at 1-6 09:20
iPhone XR and iPad air 2 does not charge when connected to the RC for me.

Perhaps due to too low current provided by the remote bu which is sufficient for charging an Iphone 8. Il will try mith my wife's iphone 8+ to see.
2020-1-6
Use props
fans461cbed1
lvl.2
  • >>>
Belgium

Just me brainstorming:
How about installing a splitted OTG cable (Y-cable)?
Connect to transmitter, connect to phone and connect to small external powerbank.
That would charge all, even during flight...
Any testpilots out there willing to try this?
Before I blow up my own transmitter ;-)
2020-1-6
Use props
LRaven
lvl.2
Ukraine

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=82832&extra=page%3D1%26filter%3Dtypeid%26typeid%3D556%26typeid%3D556
2020-1-6
Use props
fans461cbed1
lvl.2
  • >>>
Belgium

LRaven Posted at 1-6 11:50
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=82832&extra=page%3D1%26filter%3Dtypeid%26typeid%3D556%26typeid%3D556

Nice!
On the MM we'll need only 2 wires.
To keep it portable, a small powerbank (with internal data transfer) would be the way to go.
Will start looking for that asap!
2020-1-6
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

fans461cbed1 Posted at 1-6 08:11
Ok thanks Steven for fast reply!
I now understand why the power is needed.
Does this mean the max. charging current from the controller to the android device is only 0,5A?

You are very much welcome. If you have any other inquiries or concerns with DJI. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are all here to help and support you. Thank you and fly safe always.
2020-1-6
Use props
djiuser_ft3PdO5SU9R7
lvl.3
Flight distance : 993100 ft
Germany

Yea, it's the same sh*t with the osmo pocket, well that's even worse with it's smaller battery
2020-1-6
Use props
spanzetta
lvl.4
Italy

Dirty Bird Posted at 1-6 19:40
It is a limitation of Android unless you root your device.  Not sure why stock Android doesn't allow users to disable charging?

apparently it's not so generic (all Android)..  and anyway it also depends on how DJI implemented the USB on RC.. I am almost sure that if they want they can manage this at sw level..

nice discussion here..
https://mavicpilots.com/threads/android-usb-charging-disable.53493/
2020-1-9
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

This individual came up with a nice workable solution.  Appears he is trying to grow interest and then commence making the product.  

As I use two non-rooted Android phones to fly my MM I'm going to go ahead and sign-up for one of these Charge Blockers.
2020-1-16
Use props
Minnesota
lvl.4
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 1-16 05:23
This individual came up with a nice workable solution.  Appears he is trying to grow interest and then commence making the product.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNP_e3bY1NM&feature=emb_logo

Thanks.  I pre-ordered too.
2020-1-16
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

spanzetta Posted at 1-9 12:03
apparently it's not so generic (all Android)..  and anyway it also depends on how DJI implemented the USB on RC.. I am almost sure that if they want they can manage this at sw level..

nice discussion here..

You're right, it looks like my Xperia Android phone is not charged from DJI controller...
2020-1-16
Use props
Miixxa
lvl.2
Flight distance : 280682 ft
Finland

fans461cbed1 Posted at 1-6 09:27
Stephen explained me perfectly what's the reason for the Android charge.
After reading all posts I'm sure the current is low and will not affect the working of the controller to much.
So I'm gonna leave things the way they are and not mess cutting the +5v wire.

Did you PM with Stephen or what?

I'm not buying the 0,5mA discharge thingy since my Huawei Mate will always start to quick charge (according to the phone) from the Mini RC if I allow it. QC needs a whole lot more amps than point five...
Luckily Huawei prompts me everytime I connect the USB to choose if I want to charge or transfer files (yeah huawei thinks the RC is a PC), and if I just cancel the action it won't do any of those things.
Can also see it while flying, if I've enabled phone charging the RC is pretty much completely dead after 3 batteries. If not enabled there's still like ~30-40% charge in the RC after 3 AC batteries.
2020-1-16
Use props
spanzetta
lvl.4
Italy

virtual Posted at 1-16 10:18
You're right, it looks like my Xperia Android phone is not charged from DJI controller...

that confirm that it's not true (as DJI said) that in order to work on Android the Recharge cannot be avoided..
We should insist asking DJI to solve this at their SW/FW level.. I am sure they can do!!!
2020-1-19
Use props
lifeisfun
lvl.4
Canada

If you use rooted device just install Battery charge limit from the playstore. You can set limit when the device wil start charging and also level of maximum charge allowed.

Sadly my favorite device to fly ( Note8 Snapdragon ver 1200nits ) can not be rooted
2020-1-19
Use props
lifeisfun
lvl.4
Canada

Minnesota Posted at 1-16 07:07
Thanks.  I pre-ordered too.

If you are handy you can patch the cable your self using resistor and avoid the bulky adapter.
2020-1-19
Use props
djiuser_oojJpiOHuyk0
New

United States

Your cable needs to have USB Micro-A connector.
When I use USB Micro-B connector it charges.
The controller will accept both types
2020-3-7
Use props
Pashi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4862598 ft
  • >>>
Russia

When using OTG cable with my Xiaomi MI6 & DJI Spark and battery indicator of the phone shows about 50% the connection is starts breaking and connecting every second, and I can't fly with OTG, only with Wi-Fi. Hope this will not happen with Mavic Mini otherwise I cannot fly with my device. Does anyone have experience with Minic & Xiaomi Mi6?
2020-3-8
Use props
Axotopia
lvl.2
Flight distance : 37536 ft
United States

Miixxa Posted at 1-16 10:37
Did you PM with Stephen or what?

I'm not buying the 0,5mA discharge thingy since my Huawei Mate will always start to quick charge (according to the phone) from the Mini RC if I allow it. QC needs a whole lot more amps than point five...

Think the Huawei EMUI Android implementation always asks what the USB cable connection should do ....  Charge from device, transfer file etc.

My Huawei P30 Pro and MatePad Pro tablet always ask whenever I plug the RC to the phone or tablet, so never had any issues of draining the RC battery.
2020-3-12
Use props
Ralle
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11289 ft
Finland

Axotopia Posted at 3-12 23:00
Think the Huawei EMUI Android implementation always asks what the USB cable connection should do ....  Charge from device, transfer file etc.

My Huawei P30 Pro and MatePad Pro tablet always ask whenever I plug the RC to the phone or tablet, so never had any issues of draining the RC battery.

I have a Honor 8 x when connecting the computer to the usb port so it asks for, downloading, data transfer, photos.I haven't tried with the controller yet.Is it then possible to use only data transfer?
2020-3-12
Use props
Axotopia
lvl.2
Flight distance : 37536 ft
United States

Ralle Posted at 3-12 23:22
I have a Honor 8 x when connecting the computer to the usb port so it asks for, downloading, data transfer, photos.I haven't tried with the controller yet.Is it then possible to use only data transfer?

Should be able to select Data Transfer Only; that is what I select on both the P30 pro and MatePad Pro.
2020-3-26
Use props
Ralle
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11289 ft
Finland

Axotopia Posted at 3-26 10:37
Should be able to select Data Transfer Only; that is what I select on both the P30 pro and MatePad Pro.

Thanks a lot
2020-3-27
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules