Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Is my MM still safe to fly ??
12Next >
3175 70 2020-1-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JJB*
Captain
Flight distance : 12132231 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hiya,

After reading few posts about loosing height and sometimes loss of their MM is am getting nervous....

Is my MM still safe to fly? Do i feel comfort to fly above water etc?  or fly some distance out....

After updated my MM i went out today for a 'test flight'.

Breezy day so good day to test its performance.

In P-GPS flying against the wind with 100% fwd stick - pitch down 29 degrees - speed 7.3 m/s (chart1)
In P-GPS flying with tail wind with 100% fwd stick - pitch down 4.9 degrees - speed 8.1 m/s (chart2)

Start flight - batt 91% - batt volts total 8.1 vdc.
End flight  - batt 12% - batt volts total 6.6 vdc.

With 22% batt level in Sport mode with full fwd - 12.6 m/s, not a single NotEnoughPower in the log.

Hope that DJI will find the answers why some MM loose height out of the blue!

cheers
JJB

chart1.png
Chart2.png
2020-1-7
Use props
themich0r
lvl.4
Flight distance : 62526 ft
Germany

I did also a stress test yesterday with the new firmware. It ended in a lot of power failures and loss of height in the end.
The log shows a lot of power warnings (maybe due to cold weather conditions +2 Celcius). But I'm not good in reading logs.
Gladly this was a test and no flight over water...

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/W3GXSWOIRFAMRM89CBX1/
2020-1-7
Use props
JJB*
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

themich0r Posted at 1-7 03:48
I did also a stress test yesterday with the new firmware. It ended in a lot of power failures and loss of height in the end.
The log shows a lot of power warnings (maybe due to cold weather conditions +2 Celcius). But I'm not good in reading logs.

Hi,

At the end of your flight uncommanded height loss !  see chart .
Indeed many many low power warnings.

Quick pitch changes have impact on holding the height steady, looks like that low power has effect on the height stability.

Time for DJI to give some explanation!

cheers
JJB
analysis2.png
2020-1-7
Use props
ALABAMA
Captain
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Very good points!
2020-1-7
Use props
DowntownRDB
Captain
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

JJB, your test results are encouraging.  I haven't had any unexpected height loss on any flights to date.  Hopefully, DJI can determine why some are having loss of height and many others are not.  
2020-1-7
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 93626696 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Having read a lot of lost MM reports I would certainly feel nervous flying in any wind at the moment.
2020-1-7
Use props
DrohnenWalti
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15945 ft
Switzerland

Just an input, based on other threads and personal experience:
Has the battery you were using be updated to the latest firmware? Remember only the battery that was in at the time of the Firmware update will be updated to the latest Firmware. The others you need to update separately, based on my experience.
2020-1-7
Use props
cK-mini
lvl.4
Indonesia

is it pure software problems or maybe human error?? should tie MM with strings then.. troublesome..
2020-1-7
Use props
Minnesota
Second Officer
United States

JJB* Posted at 1-7 04:07
Hi,

It could be possible that when aggressively pitching forward, that the pressure below the craft drops (Venturi effect) influencing the internal baro sensor, causing the flight S/W to think the altitude has increased, causing it to reduce RPM, thus causing a real altitude drop.
2020-1-7
Use props
Spark_Pilot_XxXx
Second Officer
Flight distance : 67841 ft
Germany

I am also a bit afraid because of so many altitude Drops and crashes. However i never Had in my flight time a singe powerload reached warning ever. I saw a Video where a guy said that the issues are caused by the propellors.
2020-1-7
Use props
themich0r
lvl.4
Germany

cK-mini Posted at 1-7 04:30
is it pure software problems or maybe human error?? should tie MM with strings then.. troublesome..

This was all happening flying straight at 3-10 meters altitude in sports mode. I had to activily avoid ground contact bringing the drone back to normal height. It almost crashed into one molehill. Some blades are damaged and the MM got a nice dirt look

Didn't have this problems with the older firmware.
2020-1-7
Use props
Ice_2k
Captain
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

Did you see those errors during the flight or only afterwards in the log?
2020-1-7
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
Flight distance : 41442379 ft
  • >>>
United States

Are all of your batteries updated to the latest firmware?
2020-1-7
Use props
themich0r
lvl.4
Germany

Ice_2k Posted at 1-7 04:47
Did you see those errors during the flight or only afterwards in the log?

I saw it during the flight, that's why brought it back at low altitude. But the drone instantly went down when the popups came. Otherwise no chance to react.
2020-1-7
Use props
themich0r
lvl.4
Germany

Dirty Bird Posted at 1-7 05:12
Are all of your batteries updated to the latest firmware?

I really don't know. I need to check it later. But I expect when theres is no warnings and the drone starts that it should just work with whatever firmware.
2020-1-7
Use props
speed_freakz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 569852 ft
Thailand

To be honest ending a flight at 12% battery is a bit risky. I mean you can certainly do it, but in case something goes wrong these are not good numbers to go with.
I almost always get my drone back at 40%, and that usually means not more than 200-300m in distance.

2020-1-7
Use props
themich0r
lvl.4
Germany

speed_freakz Posted at 1-7 05:25
To be honest ending a flight at 12% battery is a bit risky. I mean you can certainly do it, but in case something goes wrong these are not good numbers to go with.
I almost always get my drone back at 40%, and that usually means not more than 200-300m in distance.

The battery was still at 50-40%. The warning was ' Aircraft max power load reached. Decrease altitude and fly with caution. If this persists, land immediately (Code: 30168)'.

2020-1-7
Use props
RBI
First Officer

Philippines

I suspect the quality differences of the individual battery cells have also an impact by height loss.
Maybe the power consumption of the ESC get limited by firmware in the event of a current drop in the battery to ensure that GPS, compass and transmitter have sufficient power.
2020-1-7
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
  • >>>
United States

themich0r Posted at 1-7 05:22
I really don't know. I need to check it later. But I expect when theres is no warnings and the drone starts that it should just work with whatever firmware.
It's been pointed out there is a quirk with the Fly app on battery firmware updates.  By default the app automatically enters the camera view when the drone connects.  Once inside the camera view battery update notices do not appear.  I discovered this last night & found two of my batteries had not been updated.  I had not flown with the mismatched firmware.

Disable the "Auto Enter Camera View" in the app settings & check your batteries.  You need to fully exit the app before connecting with another battery to check another pack.

Please report back on whether you were flying with mismatched firmware when you experienced the altitude issue.
2020-1-7
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hope DJI will fix it.
2020-1-7
Use props
JJB*
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

speed_freakz Posted at 1-7 05:25

Yes, you are right, but my last part of the test flight was close to home, just to be sure.

Normally i land with value > 20%

cheers
JJB
2020-1-7
Use props
CYLSTUDIO
Second Officer
Flight distance : 375046 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I'm going to wait until the next firmware update before I fly again, seems like there are a lot of issues with the 0400 firmware update.  A lot of altitude losing issues around the web / youtube.  DJI please give us an explanation what is happening.
2020-1-7
Use props
speed_freakz
lvl.4
Thailand

JJB* Posted at 1-7 04:07
Hi,

Can you please point me where did you find low power warnings? by that do you mean battery cells were operating at 3.400v?
2020-1-7
Use props
rooller71
First Officer
Flight distance : 688005 ft
Hungary

Hello friends! (Sorry for using bad English translator) Here's another case like this! I'm sad!      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mdfqsl5rXc     I ordered MM. but I can cancel my order! What could be a problem with many MM ??
2020-1-7
Use props
rooller71
First Officer
Hungary

Hello friends! (Sorry for using bad English translator) Here's another case like this! I'm sad!   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mdfqsl5rXc&t=24s    I ordered MM. but I can cancel my order! What could be a problem with many MM ??
2020-1-7
Use props
rooller71
First Officer
Hungary

Could it be a problem that extra batteries have not been updated !?
2020-1-7
Use props
George GR
Captain
Flight distance : 2990653 ft
Greece

i owned a mavic mini... but i sold it and i'm happy!
when dji fixes all the problems then i will think if i buy again!
2020-1-7
Use props
Bigplumbs
Captain
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DrohnenWalti Posted at 1-7 04:27
Just an input, based on other threads and personal experience:
Has the battery you were using be updated to the latest firmware? Remember only the battery that was in at the time of the Firmware update will be updated to the latest Firmware. The others you need to update separately, based on my experience.

I agree about the Battery firmware. I had some height loss and then updated my other 2 batteries and it seems ok now
2020-1-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I think it’s still safe to fly, I wonder if some with the problem can go back to previous FW and test this would clear up if New FW is the cause of this .
2020-1-7
Use props
Ice_2k
Captain
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

hallmark007 Posted at 1-7 07:25
I think it’s still safe to fly, I wonder if some with the problem can go back to previous FW and test this would clear up if New FW is the cause of this .

One of the users reporting this just today was on .03
2020-1-7
Use props
JJB*
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

speed_freakz Posted at 1-7 06:17
Can you please point me where did you find low power warnings? by that do you mean battery cells were operating at 3.400v?

Hiya,

You will find them in the CSV file.

And far above 3.4volts.

cheers
JJB
analysis1.png
2020-1-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Ice_2k Posted at 1-7 07:27
One of the users reporting this just today was on .03

So that tells us new FW is not a problem.
2020-1-7
Use props
speed_freakz
lvl.4
Thailand

Not Enough power 690 times? whew
2020-1-7
Use props
TDZHDTV
First Officer
Flight distance : 2068550 ft
United Kingdom

Dirty Bird Posted at 1-7 05:45
It's been pointed out there is a quirk with the Fly app on battery firmware updates.  By default the app automatically enters the camera view when the drone connects.  Once inside the camera view battery update notices do not appear.  I discovered this last night & found two of my batteries had not been updated.  I had not flown with the mismatched firmware.

Disable the "Auto Enter Camera View" in the app settings & check your batteries.  You need to fully exit the app before connecting with another battery to check another pack.

How do you disable going to camera view? Cheers
2020-1-7
Use props
themich0r
lvl.4
Germany

Back to the batterie firmware. I had to update 2 of the batteries...
2020-1-7
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
  • >>>
United States

TDZHDTV Posted at 1-7 07:56
How do you disable going to camera view? Cheers

At the main screen click Profile then Settings.
2020-1-7
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
  • >>>
United States

themich0r Posted at 1-7 08:00
Back to the batterie firmware. I had to update 2 of the batteries...

So when you experienced the altitude issue do you know which battery you were using?  Was it one of the ones running the older firmware?
2020-1-7
Use props
Eka
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1293625 ft
Serbia

These problems were noticed since first minis launched back in october, so firmware is not an issue here, or better to say all firmwares have this issue. We should just keep pressing DJI to do something, or at least adress the problem for a start.
2020-1-7
Use props
themich0r
lvl.4
Germany

Dirty Bird Posted at 1-7 08:04
So when you experienced the altitude issue do you know which battery you were using?  Was it one of the ones running the older firmware?

Yes I was flying with an unupdated batterie. Need to wait for the weekend to test again with the updated batteries.
2020-1-7
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Captain
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

I had all my batteries updated, everything reflashed with DJI Assistant 2 as suggested, performed calibrations in ideal situation, even IMU calibration performed after 30 min outside.
Drops happened but I could raise height, is all posted in one of my threads, more flight logs soon.
2020-1-7
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules