Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Osmo Action 2 to have 1 Inch Sensor?
4415 22 2020-1-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ben Lambert
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Having seen the new Insta 360 One R I still don't think 360 cameras are there yet. The footage at 1080 still isn't great, however what does get me excited is the 1 inch sensor edition/mod.

That in an action camera is awesome! I would 100% part with my cash if I hadn't bought a Pocket, Action and Mavic Mini Since Dec 2018.

I'd really like to see the second Osmo Action have a one inch sensor, what do you guys think?
2020-1-7
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Ben Lambert. Thank you for reaching out and for the information you have shared with us here at DJI Forum. As of this time, we do not have any information regarding DJI future camera models and future camera models specifications. Kindly please stay tuned to the latest updates by subscribing to DJI official website at www.dji.com or following us on social media ( Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DJI , Twitter: https://twitter.com/djiglobal , YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/djiinnovations ). Thank you for your support and fly safe always.
2020-1-7
Use props
LennyObez
lvl.2
Flight distance : 156893 ft
Belgium

Once I saw Insta 360 One R, I was thinking about the future of Osmo Action just like you. I hope DJI are going to rise the level !
2020-1-7
Use props
peiter
lvl.4
Denmark

Yeah.
I also requested a bigger sensor in the OA2 and a even more image quality focus, and for dji to sent me one to beat the snot out of,,,,,, though it do suck when i succeed in making pre-production samples die.
Not least when it is otherwise a nice camera, and the company move so fast they don't find a need to send me a #2 one as production are under way or just about to start.

It is very cool to be part of making something nice, even if your part are just a tiny little bit.

I am a little baffled about what SOC dji should use for the OA2, as i see it the current brand deployed in the OA are not really a option worth considering.
2020-1-7
Use props
snorkel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 452592 ft
  • >>>
United States

peiter Posted at 1-7 15:37
Yeah.
I also requested a bigger sensor in the OA2 and a even more image quality focus, and for dji to sent me one to beat the snot out of,,,,,, though it do suck when i succeed in making pre-production samples die.
Not least when it is otherwise a nice camera, and the company move so fast they don't find a need to send me a #2 one as production are under way or just about to start.

My Osmo 2 wish list would be to have a multi cam remote control and a wider FOV even with Rocksteady enabled or at the minimum match the 170 on the GP.
As well as a built in Mic port instead of the whole adapter thing.
A one inch sensor would be nice as well but maybe in a "Pro" version or something like that.
2020-1-7
Use props
JB63
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I've had a Samsung Gear 360 and try to use whenever I go outdoors. The one feature I miss/need most is Stabilization. Yes, I can always retrofit my Osmo Mobile and mount the 360 cam on it, but that becomes very bulky quickly, let alone no longer mass balanced. Samsung claims there is 'some' stabilization' (software based) but I tried it and it did not do much ... All of this to ask: When will DJI come up with a 360 stabilized camera? They do have all the components/expertise, except perhaps for 'stitching', but that seems rather minor.
2020-1-7
Use props
Shantok
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1104163 ft
  • >>>
United States

So far out of CES the Insta 360 One R and the Autel EVO II are the only things to peak my interest. The Insta One R and the EVO II swapable camera setups are pretty cool. Hoping it's the theme. Being able to swap lens or cameras instead of having a bunch of cameras and drones for each job would be great.
2020-1-7
Use props
CemAygun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 810 ft
Turkey

Well it should at least have a 16MP sensor so that we can get stabilized 4K for real. And since a 1/2.3" sensor at 16MP would most likely hit the diffraction limit with an action cam setup, the sensor should be  1/1.7" or bigger.  I would not mind a 1" of course
2020-1-7
Use props
Ben Lambert
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I don't think we need to push past 4k yet, unless 6k is possible as a by product of the camera.
2020-1-7
Use props
CemAygun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 810 ft
Turkey

Ben Lambert Posted at 1-7 23:15
I don't think we need to push past 4k yet, unless 6k is possible as a by product of the camera.

I totally agree, the problem is we don't even get proper 4K with the stabilization

Per official specs, Osmo Action sensor is almost at the horizontal resolution limit for 4K as it is. So every time you crop into that sensor for a function, you actually start dropping below the 4K resolution. And rocksteady crops in a lot...
2020-1-8
Use props
El Diabolico
lvl.4

Germany

I will probably be selling my Osmo Action and getting the insta 360 one R. Still waiting to see the real image quality after the embargo to decide... That 1" sensor and the modular approach got me 5secs into the presentation...
2020-1-8
Use props
ebswift
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10299 ft
Australia

El Diabolico Posted at 1-8 02:04
I will probably be selling my Osmo Action and getting the insta 360 one R. Still waiting to see the real image quality after the embargo to decide... That 1" sensor and the modular approach got me 5secs into the presentation...

That insta 360 one R looks like a nice camera.  More pricey than my OA, but after I've "accessorised", my OA cost more.  It could be a bit overkill in complexity for basic click and shoot that we love the OA for, it seems to be more directed towards the serious video makers.  I could be wrong, but as it is I reckon many people barely explore the functions of even the OA beyond turning it on and clicking record.  1" sensor is a killer move, I'm sure it'll do well for its market.  I could be convinced to sell my OA if the insta 360 one R seems simple to operate and is robust and reliable, but I do love the OA for those things.
2020-1-8
Use props
El Diabolico
lvl.4

Germany

ebswift Posted at 1-8 02:46
That insta 360 one R looks like a nice camera.  More pricey than my OA, but after I've "accessorised", my OA cost more.  It could be a bit overkill in complexity for basic click and shoot that we love the OA for, it seems to be more directed towards the serious video makers.  I could be wrong, but as it is I reckon many people barely explore the functions of even the OA beyond turning it on and clicking record.  1" sensor is a killer move, I'm sure it'll do well for its market.  I could be convinced to sell my OA if the insta 360 one R seems simple to operate and is robust and reliable, but I do love the OA for those things.

Absolutely. IMO it is the ONE to rule them ALL.

I am planing to go diving with the 360 degrees kit and also the 1" sensor as UW light is a commodity.
I tried some shallow dives in relatively warm water with my Osmo Action with a typical 3d party polycarbonate case and the lens was fogging even with 3 anti-fog inserts! To be honest the official DJI case wasn't available at the time so I haven't tried it and i haven't been able to find any diving reviews with it online.

I was going to invest around 250€ to get an aluminum high pressure case but instead I will be putting that money towards the Insta.

I am really impressed with their forward thinking. Great stabilization, 3 different setups, looks promising... I also love my OA and OP but at the end of the day, i don't need 3 different cameras if I can have 1 that does 3 different things
2020-1-8
Use props
Ben Lambert
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

El Diabolico Posted at 1-8 02:04
I will probably be selling my Osmo Action and getting the insta 360 one R. Still waiting to see the real image quality after the embargo to decide... That 1" sensor and the modular approach got me 5secs into the presentation...

If the one inch sensor footage looks good then I'll be picking one up! Use my Osmo Action as a secondary.
2020-1-8
Use props
peiter
lvl.4
Denmark

Yes the  ONE R do indeed look very interesting, i am wondering what is at the heart of it, cuz i mean with modular like that, and you not having to load a new firmware for each module, that's pretty neat.
If dji just make the OA2 a 360 camera,,,,,,, that would to me be such a let down.
And the way i use a little camera i would be fine with the modular approach, but i cant but feel in might be a issue in really hardcore action, for sure i would like to take a closer look at those interconnects.

O and it is good they have the option to do BT microphone, cuz a tethered MIC even with a dedicated plug for it just seem a bit silly.
2020-1-8
Use props
nonplussed
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I'd settle for a 3.5  microphone socket in the main body...alaong with a 1/4 inch tripod mount underneath.
2020-1-18
Use props
snorkel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 452592 ft
  • >>>
United States

nonplussed Posted at 1-18 13:52
I'd settle for a 3.5  microphone socket in the main body...alaong with a 1/4 inch tripod mount underneath.

and the option for a 170 degree FOV.
2020-1-28
Use props
MKosmo
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Surprisingly the 360 one, 1 inch sensor version does not get glowing reviews that I’ve read. ( not bad just not amazing ) Maybe this will change with firmware updates.
2020-1-28
Use props
peiter
lvl.4
Denmark

Yeah that's my feeling about the one r 1" too, don't seem much better in low light, and dynamic range are also not that special compared to the regular 4K mod.
But if the sensor are 19 mpix, than you cant do much pixel binning and still get a 4K image, let alone a 5.7K one
I did manage to DL 3 raw videos from someone posting 1" footage too fast, but i got my DL in before YT video and DL links was removed.

Anyway as it is now i am not even thinking about maybe getting the one r 1"

When it come to low light performance the 48 mpix sensor in my phone doing a 4 in 1 bin, that work out pretty well compared to the 48 mpix sensor being used in 1:1 mode in low light.
Unsure what is best, use a 8 mpix sensor with large pixels to get good 4K low light, or use a sensor with +32 mpix smaller pixels but binned 4 in one to get more light trapping performance that way.

They are talking about phones with 104 mpix sensors, maybe that with a 9 in 1 bin if that add up to "A" large enough pixel.
Anyways the SOC are more of interest to me, i cant see dji staying with Ambarella and being able to make any progress and have good support.
There is a reason others have left that brand and went their own way, and i find it hard to come up with alternative SOCs outside of the phone world.
2020-1-29
Use props
Sir_Davealot
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3107 ft
United Kingdom

snorkel Posted at 1-7 17:14
My Osmo 2 wish list would be to have a multi cam remote control and a wider FOV even with Rocksteady enabled or at the minimum match the 170 on the GP.
As well as a built in Mic port instead of the whole adapter thing.
A one inch sensor would be nice as well but maybe in a "Pro" version or something like that.

Multi Camera remote would be epic.
2020-1-29
Use props
FishyAl
lvl.1

South Africa

CemAygun Posted at 1-8 01:37
I totally agree, the problem is we don't even get proper 4K with the stabilization

Per official specs, Osmo Action sensor is almost at the horizontal resolution limit for 4K as it is. So every time you crop into that sensor for a function, you actually start dropping below the 4K resolution. And rocksteady crops in a lot...

4k stabilised HDR using H.265 100mbps would be nice
2020-1-31
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

making a camera that works 100% before  making another one was nice.
2020-1-31
Use props
peiter
lvl.4
Denmark

Osmo 2.0 should have the Spectra 480 ISP / qualcomm 865

4K / 240 among other nice things
2020-2-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules