Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Snoopybris
lvl.4
Flight distance : 457343 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Happy New Year Fellow Pilots.

Have recently purchased a M2P - had a MP previously for about 18 months.

I noticed the the photos I have taken lack dynamic range - they seem hazy/flat.

It doesn't seem to make any difference if I capture the photos vertically or horizontally.

I use RAW files.

I tap the screen to focus.

Maybe a dirty lens cover (the clear square bit in front of the lens) can that be taken off to be cleaned?

Has anyone come across this issue before and how did you fix it.

Thanks for your help - Mike
2020-1-7
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Are you post processing the RAW files in an appropriate program such as Photoshop or Lightroom?
2020-1-7
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. I am sorry for the trouble this caused. With regards to this concern, I would recommend to please reset the camera settings to isolate the issue. If the said concern still persists, kindly please provide a sample video of the said issue. Please keep us posted for further assistance. Thank you.
2020-1-7
Use props
Snoopybris
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

Geebax Posted at 1-7 13:02
Are you post processing the RAW files in an appropriate program such as Photoshop or Lightroom?

I don’t like using a subscription based software - other than LR or PS - what do you suggest?
2020-1-7
Use props
Snoopybris
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Paladin Posted at 1-7 13:10
Hi. I am sorry for the trouble this caused. With regards to this concern, I would recommend to please reset the camera settings to isolate the issue. If the said concern still persists, kindly please provide a sample video of the said issue. Please keep us posted for further assistance. Thank you.

I am going out to fly today - I have reset the camera and will let you know if the results.
2020-1-7
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Snoopybris Posted at 1-7 14:00
I don’t like using a subscription based software - other than LR or PS - what do you suggest?

No, I don't like subscription software either, but I have an old, but paid for and therefore fully owned, version of Photoshop. What I am asking though is are you using any type of photo processing software to import the RAW images? If not, then yes, they will be thin and hazy looking, because that's what RAw is. If you are not sure of what I am talking about, then you might read up on RAW photo processing techniques, and in the meantime, switch the camera to shooting normal JPEG images.
2020-1-7
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Snoopybris Posted at 1-7 14:01
I am going out to fly today - I have reset the camera and will let you know if the results.

Resetting won't make any difference.
Read post #6
2020-1-7
Use props
Snoopybris
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

Geebax Posted at 1-7 14:14
No, I don't like subscription software either, but I have an old, but paid for and therefore fully owned, version of Photoshop. What I am asking though is are you using any type of photo processing software to import the RAW images? If not, then yes, they will be thin and hazy looking, because that's what RAw is. If you are not sure of what I am talking about, then you might read up on RAW photo processing techniques, and in the meantime, switch the camera to shooting normal JPEG images.

I have a Mac - RAW converters are as follows, Pixelmator Pro and Affinity Photo - the photos were flat on both apps - Can you tell me what the recommended and best RAW converter for DJI RAW files - Thanks for your help
2020-1-7
Use props
Snoopybris
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

- this is the photo - I converted it to JPG from RAW using the latest Adobe RAW software and without any adjustments.
The Sun was behind me and I reset camera setting as requested.

Hope that helps.
2020-1-7
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Snoopybris Posted at 1-7 22:16
[view_image] - this is the photo - I converted it to JPG from RAW using the latest Adobe RAW software and without any adjustments.

I think the picture doesn't look to bad, it's nice and sharp, it looks a bit flat due to the mid day lighting
Dramatic lighting makes a landscape photo and this is usually not the middle of the day.

In Oz we have a lot of UV haze, are you using any sort of UV filter, Skylight filter or polarizer
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/exp ... -filters-for-lenses
2020-1-7
Use props
Snoopybris
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

lannes Posted at 1-7 22:28
I think the picture doesn't look to bad, it's nice and sharp, it looks a bit flat due to the mid day lighting
Dramatic lighting makes a landscape photo and this is usually not the middle of the day.

Hi Lannes, no filters used - I will look into investing in some filters. Thanks for your input.
2020-1-7
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

[view_image] - this is the photo - I converted it to JPG from RAW using the latest Adobe RAW software and without any adjustments.

Yeah, the photo looks good, as Iannes says, it would have been better if the sun had been out on the rock tower but it is well exposed and clear. The sky is quite good. The only thing I would suggest is to give it a bit of 'punch' to make it pop more.
2020-1-7
Use props
Snoopybris
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

Hi Lanne - again,

I was taken at 9.42 am- maybe I should get out of bed earlier - I’ll go out in the next few days and try again from the same spot.
2020-1-7
Use props
Snoopybris
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

Geebax Posted at 1-7 22:39
Yeah, the photo looks good, as Iannes says, it would have been better if the sun had been out on the rock tower but it is well exposed and clear. The sky is quite good. The only thing I would suggest is to give it a bit of 'punch' to make it pop more.

Hi Geebax - how can I give it more ”pop”?
2020-1-7
Use props
Snoopybris
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

I found 3 filters that I had in my kit that the shop supplied - ND4PL, ND8PL, ND16PL - I'll try it with the ND4PL first and see what the results are.
2020-1-7
Use props
lannes
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Snoopybris Posted at 1-7 23:07
I found 3 filters that I had in my kit that the shop supplied - ND4PL, ND8PL, ND16PL - I'll try it with the ND4PL first and see what the results are.

Nice little video from youtube that gives the basics on the ND polarized filters, there is also the "landscape" photo setting in DJI Go4

2020-1-7
Use props
Snoopybris
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

Thanks for that Iannes - great explanation
2020-1-7
Use props
Snoopybris
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

lannes Posted at 1-7 23:11
Nice little video from youtube that gives the basics on the ND polarized filters, there is also the "landscape" photo setting in DJI Go4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWxb7Yqw_A0

Nice video lannes - now I get it
2020-1-7
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Snoopybris Posted at 1-7 22:42
Hi Geebax - how can I give it more ”pop”?

When processing the image, give it a tiny touch more contrast and also a tiny increase in colour saturation.
2020-1-8
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I tweaked your photo and I think this is the style your looking for -

2020-1-8
Use props
Snoopybris
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

DAFlys Posted at 1-8 01:48
I tweaked your photo and I think this is the style your looking for -

[view_image]

Thank you DAFlys - that looks much better
2020-1-8
Use props
Snoopybris
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

I tried again and went out earlier to catch the better light, fitted the ND4PL filter, upped the contrast slightly and saturation slightly.

Not many clouds today  . . .

and . . . the composition on the last photo could have been better - a little wider shot so I could have more space between the mountain on the right and the edge of the photo.
2020-1-8
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Snoopybris Posted at 1-7 22:34
Hi Lannes, no filters used - I will look into investing in some filters. Thanks for your input.

For drone stills, you'd be better off without complicating things with filters.

2020-1-8
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Snoopybris Posted at 1-7 14:01

Thank you for the update. Please keep us posted for further assistance. Thank you.
2020-1-8
Use props
Snoopybris
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

I took a few short MP4 files (first time for everything) that need a slight edit - what would be a reasonable editor to do this on a Mac?
2020-1-8
Use props
lannes
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Snoopybris Posted at 1-8 15:43
I took a few short MP4 files (first time for everything) that need a slight edit - what would be a reasonable editor to do this on a Mac?

DJI Go 4 has a basic video editor

https://www.google.com/search?cl ... XRGPWX4-EP7-eMyA031

For more features Davinci Resolve 16 has a free version for video editing, obviously a learning curve

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/

For photo composition think about the "Rule of Thirds" and in distance shots add some foreground interest to lead the viewers eye to the main subject. These principles still apply in drone photography

2020-1-8
Use props
lannes
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Technically perfect, more saturation and still sharp.
Our skies are a bit boring at the moment, now to get those magical lighting conditions
2020-1-8
Use props
Snoopybris
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

lannes Posted at 1-8 16:25
Technically perfect, more saturation and still sharp.
Our skies are a bit boring at the moment, now to get those magical lighting conditions

Thanks Iannes
2020-1-8
Use props
Snoopybris
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

lannes Posted at 1-8 16:18
DJI Go 4 has a basic video editor

https://www.google.com/search?cl ... XRGPWX4-EP7-eMyA031

Appreciate your input . . . will check it out tonight.
2020-1-8
Use props
Snoopybris
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Paladin Posted at 1-8 15:41
Thank you for the update. Please keep us posted for further assistance. Thank you.

Will do and I will keep practising
2020-1-8
Use props
Snoopybris
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

Labroides Posted at 1-8 15:25
For drone stills, you'd be better off without complicating things with filters.

May I ask the reason for this . . . I'll try it again for the stills without the filer
2020-1-8
Use props
lannes
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Snoopybris Posted at 1-8 17:21
Appreciate your input . . . will check it out tonight.

Side lighting at dawn or just before sunset is great for photos.
Also with a drone you can change the perspective by pointing the camera down, rule of thirds horizontally in this photo
This was a sunrise shot without filters it's also a still from a video, so don't forget to consider videos as a source of photos

2020-1-8
Use props
Snoopybris
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

Geebax Posted at 1-7 22:39
Yeah, the photo looks good, as Iannes says, it would have been better if the sun had been out on the rock tower but it is well exposed and clear. The sky is quite good. The only thing I would suggest is to give it a bit of 'punch' to make it pop more.

I did a reshoot with your input this morning . . . photos have been posted  . . . much better
2020-1-8
Use props
Snoopybris
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

Got that happening now . . . thank you
2020-1-8
Use props
Snoopybris
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

Labroides Posted at 1-7 14:44
Resetting won't make any difference.
Read post #6

I found that out . . . but a good suggestion
2020-1-8
Use props
Snoopybris
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

Geebax Posted at 1-7 14:14
No, I don't like subscription software either, but I have an old, but paid for and therefore fully owned, version of Photoshop. What I am asking though is are you using any type of photo processing software to import the RAW images? If not, then yes, they will be thin and hazy looking, because that's what RAw is. If you are not sure of what I am talking about, then you might read up on RAW photo processing techniques, and in the meantime, switch the camera to shooting normal JPEG images.

downloaded Photo Elements - at least I own it
2020-1-8
Use props
Snoopybris
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

Geebax Posted at 1-7 13:02

Sorry about all the replies - I found out how to use the website better now - I am on my trainer wheels
2020-1-8
Use props
Snoopybris
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

How do Upload a movie? I made my first little movie.  
2020-1-8
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Snoopybris Posted at 1-8 17:25
May I ask the reason for this . . . I'll try it again for the stills without the filer

Because the filters won't do much that you can't do in editing anyway.
And using an ND filter isn't going to do anything for you except cut the light getting to the sensor - certainly something you don't want (unless you have a particular reason to want to force a slower shutter speed).
And polarised filters are more trouble than they are worth on a drone.
Because to use them properly you have to align them correctly relative to the direction of the sun and any photos taken with the drone facing a different direction are just going to look wrong.
2020-1-8
Use props
Snoopybris
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

lannes Posted at 1-8 17:27
Side lighting at dawn or just before sunset is great for photos.
Also with a drone you can change the perspective by pointing the camera down, rule of thirds horizontally in this photo
This was a sunrise shot without filters it's also a still from a video, so don't forget to consider videos as a source of photos

That's a very cool photo - I can see the long shadows make a huge difference . . . . I will try that out . . . is the salt air a cause for concern for the drone?
2020-1-8
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules