Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Roy Rogers
First Officer
Flight distance : 1186296 ft
United States

Heavy Wind The Mavic Mini's Achilles Heel : Tips on how to deal with it
(1) . If its windy just don't fly
(2) . A Lot of times the wind at ground level can be wildly different  then at 150ft - 400ft  . Lesson to the motors and watch for the craft to tilt as you are ascending . As the wind increases the motors will speed up and the craft will tilt to help hold its positioning . If The MM is doing this continuously , It's not a good day for flying. If you hear it intermittingly that's due to strong wind gust . This can be far more dangerous then strong sustained winds .
(3). A beautiful day at your house does not mean beautiful weather on location . Mountain tops , The Ocean , Lakes and many other places can always have stronger winds . Keep this in mind and plan a 2nd or 3rd trip instead of forcing the issues.
(4). Weather Apps and Weather report can also help . On site take note of how the wind is blowing and plan your flight with that in mind . It takes longer / more battery power to fly against the wind . Flying 800ft out with the wind may only take  2 min and 10% battery but Flying back in 25mph wind it may take 20 mins and 75% battery . It is a good rule of thumb to fly out against the wind and wind assisted to return.
(5). Refer to (1-4) and (6) wont be needed
(6). At or above 25 mph seems to be the threshold for what the Mini can do in wind .   BUT  13 mph with heavy Gust is far more dangerous .  If your out and the wind increases Do Not use Return To Home (RTH) doesn't use full power and if the wind is strong enough it will be pushed away. Calmly put it into sports mode turn your camera downward , bring up the map and attempt to fly home this way . The reasons for downward camera is if you lose it and it goes down you can Reference the footage to find land mark near where it lands. The Map as a screen is useful to make sure your pointed in the right direction .
(7). If your in strong wind gust and you hear an Intermittent Plastic on Plastic clinging sound .Turn your MM with its back to the wind and try to land as soon as possible ! DJI is looking into this but I have not heard a response as of yet .( "In heavy wind if its facing the wind it tilts so it can fight back and keep its position , BUT the props on the 2 front arms bend back due to the winds direct force on them at this angle and its causing them to hit the drone. While flying at 80ft 13mph wind at  >then 25mph gust it was tilting and I could hear the plastic on plastic clinking so I brought it down to analyze it . That's when I found this out. ") <------ Speculation not conformed by DJI as of Yet
(8) If it is windy just don't fly

I truly hope some of you find this helpful and MM lives to Fly many more days and years
                                                                                                                                                              RR
2020-1-7
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I use UAV Forecast to check the wind. its good because you can check the wind at different altitudes, as of often the wind on the ground is less than in the sky.
2020-1-8
Use props
Roy Rogers
First Officer
United States

DAFlys Posted at 1-8 02:09
I use UAV Forecast to check the wind. its good because you can check the wind at different altitudes, as of often the wind on the ground is less than in the sky.

That sounds pretty handy
2020-1-8
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Roy Rogers Posted at 1-8 16:36
That sounds pretty handy

And best of all its free.
2020-1-9
Use props
Roy Rogers
First Officer
United States

DAFlys Posted at 1-9 01:18
And best of all its free.

Ant nothing free DAFliys
2020-1-9
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Roy Rogers Posted at 1-9 02:38
Ant nothing free DAFliys

The basic functions are free and there's no advertising.  
2020-1-9
Use props
Roy Rogers
First Officer
United States

DAFlys Posted at 1-9 03:00
The basic functions are free and there's no advertising.

I meant in the philosophical sense
Something is always given for things received.
2020-1-9
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Roy Rogers Posted at 1-9 08:14
I meant in the philosophical sense
Something is always given for things received.

Ah gotcha!
2020-1-10
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Roy Rogers. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing this informative tips for the DJI Mavic Mini. For reference the DJI Mavic Mini has a Max Wind Speed Resistance of 8 m/s ( Scale 4 ). Have a safe and a happy flying to all.
2020-1-13
Use props
Roy Rogers
First Officer
United States

https://mavicpilots.com/threads/ ... /page-2#post-913585

Oh Stephen , shame on you . In the link I provided a new customer speak how DJI sent him new Props .  Me a long time customer that has bought many DJI Products reports this to you first and I get sweep under the rug .
How naïve I have been to think we where friends.  
2020-1-25
Use props
p1hill
lvl.2
Flight distance : 349846 ft
United States

DAFlys Posted at 1-8 02:09
I use UAV Forecast to check the wind. its good because you can check the wind at different altitudes, as of often the wind on the ground is less than in the sky.

Great little app for checking the wind levels at different strata.
2020-2-7
Use props
Roy Rogerstrade
First Officer
United States

2020-2-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules