Yaw lock
1012 4 2020-1-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GottliebPins
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

I fly DJI Phantom drones but there are often places where you can't fly so I bought the osmo pocket because I wanted to shoot stabilized videos instead of using my iPhone. The iPhone has optical image stabilization which corrects the minor shaking of your hand but does nothing about the wobbling side to side. And because it has optical stabilization if you put it on a tripod or in a gimbal it completely freaks out when it sees motion and tries to "correct" it. This makes the video a useless jittery mess. So I bought the osmo pocket and several accessories, like the WIFI, and wheel and phone holder to make it nice and solid, but the problem is if I turn the camera from side to side the camera wants to keep facing in the same direction rather than follow the turn. In other words I want horizontal stabilization but I want to lock the yaw. I want the camera to always face in the direction I turn it (without lagging along), while at the same time stay level. I don't see how to do this. The closest I can figure is turn the camera on it's side so its pointing away from the base, then it can't rotate side to side, but that makes it very akward to carry. Is there some setting I'm not aware of that will do this? If not I have no use for this camera. It just sits in my camera bag as a cute little gadget.
2020-1-7
Use props
Curt1591
Second Officer
Thailand

Are you set to fast follow?
2020-1-7
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Try putting the Osmo Pocket in the underwater mode. It restricts gimbal movement. The problem with panning is also that it throws the Osmo Pockets focus off a bit during the movement unless it is locked onto a subject to track. Also the problem with no gimbal movement is that pans can become very jerky to watch if the operator is not that used to how to move.
2020-1-8
Use props
GottliebPins
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 1-8 06:25
Try putting the Osmo Pocket in the underwater mode. It restricts gimbal movement. The problem with panning is also that it throws the Osmo Pockets focus off a bit during the movement unless it is locked onto a subject to track. Also the problem with no gimbal movement is that pans can become very jerky to watch if the operator is not that used to how to move.

Yes if I was filming a continuous unedited video the back and forth would be jerky but I edit the video to transition from left and right shots. I am filming fast moving trains so slow panning is usually not an option. I face one way then face the other and the several second delay while the camera finally decides to come around to where I’m facing wastes valuable video time. I will look into these settings. I don’t think they are available on my current firmware. I will have to update.
2020-1-8
Use props
Curt1591
Second Officer
Thailand

Here is an example of "fast follow". The short lag is me, not the Pocket. Granted, it's not a bullet train. But, I'm only about a meter away.

2020-1-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules