Problems with Customer Support after Drone Error
740 3 2020-1-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Quacka_R
lvl.1

Germany

Hello,

I feel pretty scammed by the DJI in my case (CAS-2815140-B7Z6P7), maybe somebody here has an second opinion for me or can help me out here.

On the 12th of December my Mavic Air suddenly dropped ~30m on stone ground. The propellers just stopped spinning and the app stopped showing the camera picture, moments later it hit the ground. Because there was nothing I could think of that have prevented the incident, I send it in thinking that this was most likely caused by a faulty battery and a warranty case. The record showed the battery was at 80% on the last entry and was completly defect after the crash without showing any physical damage.

Yesterday I received an e-mail stating that the repair will cost ~160€ and is not a warranty case since the damage was caused by crash damage. I contacted the support e-mail address explaining that of course the damage was caused by the crash, but the crash was caused by not an user fault but hardware or software problems. I got an answer today stating the following analyst findings:

• 1. The aircraft worked under GPS mode in this flight, and there was strong fog affecting the performance of the downward sensors;
  • 2. Flight Time T=100 s, Relative Height H=22.6 m, Distance to Home Point D=12.4 m, the near-ground landing was triggered after the pilot pulled the Throttle stick down fully while the infrared height was 0.3 meters; Then landing was cancelled at t=123 s;
  • 3.  T=197 s, H=33.9 m, D=14.7 m, Battery=0%, infrared height was 0 meters due to the fog, then motors stopped because it was near ground.
  • Conclusion: The accident was caused by the improper flight environment. Please do not fly in the fog.

At this point, I am confused by the conclusion that the cause was the downward sensor / fog and not the battery, what even the analyst found to be at 0% and with the background that there was no fog on ground or drone height. I fiddle around to have a look at the flight records data myself (which is strangly un-comfortable) and find out that even the statement that the infrared height was 0 meters is not true. The analyst mistook the IMU value for the VPS value (again, I as customer had to read up on that), which jumped from one ms to the next from 111ft to 0ft. The VPS value didn't change for most of the 3min flight. Also the IMU value shoud no be affected by fog.

I also find the red highlighted value of cell deviation and read up on that. Apperently values over 0.1 can cause damage or failure, which I think underlines my first thought that the battery was the cause of the incident.

DJI Support answeres that the battery value missed an 8 and was supposed to be an 80%. In addition, they send screenshots from the in-app flight record with an message stating motor current error (again, doesn't that underline my assumption?) and a second screenshot with the underlined altitude value of 0m (which again is most likely the IMU value, because I don't think that the IR will measure distances up to 31.6m of the first screenshot).

If this would not be enough, they send me screenshots of the weather history of a weather station over 50km away stating that the area was foggy and had high humidity. I google up the website (wunderground.com), have a view on it and find that the site also states the dew point together with the humidity and temperature. In combination, you can calculate that there was no fog at this time on that day, and that the stated condition is gives as cloudy, which the support mistook for foggy (which is also a condition category on the website regarding their API documentation).

I answered that they mistook IMU for VPS, the weather was not foggy and that I could send them some testemonies of people that saw the crash. No answer so far, but the whole mail traffic frustrates me. They not only try to bluff them out of the warranty but even lie to me as customer (or just work incredible unprofessional).

Any tips how I should proceed with this?
Thank you!
2020-1-8
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi Quacka_R, we are sorry for the crash accident, upon checking the case, our support team has explained the flight records with the screenshot including the Altitude and the Vertical Speed that the APP recorded. It clearly shows the height immediately dropped to 0m with the vertical speed at 0.3m/s, then motors stopped.
But your concern will be escalated to the appropriate department for further analysis, we will have someone to contact you soon, please wait patiently, thank you.
2020-1-8
Use props
Quacka_R
lvl.1

Germany

Hey DJI Mindy, thank you for your fast reply and for escalating it!

About that screenshots: They explained that the IR distance dropped to zero and tried to harden their argument with the screenshot, while the flight records clearly state that this is not the case. This is one reason why I don't feel treated in a professional manner by the mail support.
2020-1-8
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Quacka_R Posted at 1-8 23:35
Hey DJI Mindy, thank you for your fast reply and for escalating it!

About that screenshots: They explained that the IR distance dropped to zero and tried to harden their argument with the screenshot, while the flight records clearly state that this is not the case. This is one reason why I don't feel treated in a professional manner by the mail support.

We understand your frustration, the higher-level team will contact you soon, appreciate your understanding.
2020-1-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules