Potential sensor overheat issue
452 9 2020-1-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Distortionist
lvl.2
Canada

Hello, I have been taking timelapses with the drone sitting on the table. It is winter so it is really cold outside and I didn't think anything would overheat.  I now have developed a redish hotspot in the center of all images. I believe it is the result of the sensor running for 2 hours, probably a heating issue because I can't think of anything else that would do it.

This has happened last time I left it to take a timelapse outside, but I attributed it to a dirty lense gathering some red light from the LEDs, because it seemed to go away after cleaning.

I think it went away because the light is much better. After my last timelapse, I keep noticing the red tint in the middle, it happens mostly in low light. I need to do some more testing but I do believe I thought it went away because it was daytime. My sunrise pictures from today all have the red tint in the middle.

I once again cleaned the lense but it looked like it was still there, it was less but I think it was not because I cleaned it, it looked pretty clean already, I think it is because of the increased light that it is less noticable.

I was curious as to what others thought, and I do notice people have had hot spots in the middle of their images and I was wondering if they do prolonged timelapses like I do or maybe run the drone a lot in summer (I have 5 batteries and can fly for a long long time).

I have owned this drone for years and I never had issues, and i never had to clean my lense. This leaving it out on a table doing a time lapse thing is new to me, and I can get 2 hours out of a battery. I think this is the cause of my issues. Please let me know if you have similar issues and beware of this potential issue if you do timelapses with the drone without flight.

2020-1-10
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I would say there's not much chance the sensor could be damaged by a time lapse session, unless there was an intense light source directly shining on the same spot in the sensor for every frame ?
2020-1-10
Use props
Distortionist
lvl.2
Canada

It was a sunset time lapse but with lots of clouds, so I don't really know it could be. Here are links to the two time lapses.  The first time lapse didn't have much light, I thought it was the light from the LEDs, the lense was pretty dirty so I cleaned it and I thought the problem went away, but there was much more light, I think it is mostly only noticeable in low light. Ill have to take some shots of the snow today and tonight see what the results look like.

Video 1

Video 2
2020-1-10
Use props
Distortionist
lvl.2
Canada

lannes Posted at 1-10 06:29
I would say there's not much chance the sensor could be damaged by a time lapse session, unless there was an intense light source directly shining on the same spot in the sensor for every frame ?

Here is a panorama made of 5 shots, where you can see 5 pink/purple blobs, one for each shot, it shows up better in individual images but they are in DNG, this is the only JPG I made to post on facebook.
2020-1-10
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I'm not seeing the same 5 blobs from the photo on the videos, are they there in the same place ?

What you need to do its to take a picture of a blank white card to see if the blobs are present

2020-1-10
Use props
Distortionist
lvl.2
Canada

lannes Posted at 1-10 07:11
I'm not seeing the same 5 blobs from the photo on the videos, are they there in the same place ?

What you need to do its to take a picture of a blank white card to see if the blobs are present

It is stitched, I guess I can see and count them because I know what I am looking for. Here are some pictures taken from the same time, you can see the pinkish centre area.

2020-1-10
Use props
Distortionist
lvl.2
Canada

Ill try to replicate the results on a white card, it is mostly visible in lower light. I would have to turn off the LEDs because today they were shining on the white backgrounds I was trying to test with. I ran out of time.
2020-1-10
Use props
Distortionist
lvl.2
Canada

Distortionist Posted at 1-10 07:23
Ill try to replicate the results on a white card, it is mostly visible in lower light. I would have to turn off the LEDs because today they were shining on the white backgrounds I was trying to test with. I ran out of time.

I don't have a white card but we got some good snow cover, so I took a picture, you can clearly see the spot. This was never the case, also my video quality looks like poop now.

It seems to happen in low light, I need to try when it is nice and bright outside. I am quite upset about this, I contacted the local dji repair outfit and they want over 400 bucks to replace the camera.

Here is a picture I took today before the sun went down, it was very cloudy and gloomy day. I have time off during the day tomorrow so I can try again in mid day.

2020-1-14
Use props
Distortionist
lvl.2
Canada

I want to know the cause, is it leaving it taking time lapses too long causing the sensor to over heat or is it from the sunlight with the sunset time lapse.
2020-1-14
Use props
Distortionist
lvl.2
Canada

I cannot replicate it indoors, everything looks fine using paper and waling around my house with the drone, it just happens in low sunlight it seems. I need to try it during the day.
2020-1-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules