Advice Needed
1555 14 2020-1-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FreshFlyer
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I have a Mavic Mini and just a beginner in using it. One issue I have is when I fly it above say 40 metres it appears in the sky as a small grey blob. When I do 360 degree rotations I lose track which is the front of the drone as I cannot see the front from the back. As result the right control stick reverses or worse reponds to angles. I put stickers on the back but they are not really visible too. Is there a way of seeing the orientation of the drone on the controller screen/mobile phone?

My second question relates to RTH. I have watched several YouTube videos that show RTH but they do not show clearly what they are doing. They say press the left front button on the controller. When I do that my drone just lands where it is.

Thirdly. Aplogies for so many questions. The video files are very large. 8 minute was 4GB. Can anyone recommend any good software to compress the files and edit them. As you have probably guessed I need an easy to use one

Thank you in advance.

2020-1-10
Use props
FreshFlyer
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Apologies I forgot to add that I was at an altitude of 40m and distance about 30-40m. I had done the compass reset before flight and the controller has said 'updating home'.
2020-1-10
Use props
Debugger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4865846 ft
  • >>>
Greece

1.  Look at the bottom of the app screen in the middle. You will see a dot (this is you) and a triangle (the drone and its orientation) Manual Page 32-33

2. The RTH button on the controller or on the app sceen brings the drone back to home position only if it fly more than 20m away from you. If it is closer, it just land it

2020-1-10
Use props
Tervist
lvl.4
Flight distance : 20830 ft
United States

You can edit videos directly through the DJI Fly app:  

There's a directional indicator at the bottom center of your screen that tells you which way your drone is facing relative to the  controller:

The user manual goes into good detail about how the RTH feature works. It starts on page 12. Your MM probably was less than 20m from you when you initiated the RTH so it did exactly what it was supposed to do, which was land immediately.
Don't make the same mistake that others here have made by not reading the manual. It's fairly user-friendly and not a difficult read. There's a bit to take in, so you may need to make several passes through it to absorb it all.
https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Mavic_Mini/Mavic_Mini_User_Manual_v1.0_en.pdf
2020-1-10
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day FreshFlyer. Thank you for reaching out and for the inquiry. You may know the orientation of the DJI Mavic Mini when on flight by looking at the aircraft status indicator light for the drone that is found at the back of the DJI Mavic Mini. You may also look at this icon found on the lower middle part of the DJI Fly application for you to also know the orientation for the drone when flying. In addition the RTH procedure of the DJI Mavic Mini as follows : If the altitude is lower than 20m, the aircraft ascends to the RTH altitude or 20m, and then adjusts its orientation. IF the altitude is higher than 20m, the aircraft adjusts its orientation immediately. If the aircraft is further than 20m from the Home Point when the RTH procedure begins, it ascends to the preset RTH altitude and flies to the Home Point at a speed of 8m/s. If the current altitude is higher than the RTH altitude, the aircraft flies to the Home Point at the current altitude and if the aircraft is less than 20m from the Home Point when the RTH procedure begins it lands immediately. After reaching the Home Point, the aircraft lands and the motor stops. Thank you.
2020-1-11
Use props
fansb693f9b6
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11673 ft
Israel

Maybe someone could help
My mavic min refuses to pair to the remote.

I did everything, including latest firmware update using the Assist 2 app
Nothing, they just don't pair

Help me, please.
Dudu
2020-1-11
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

hi fresh, consider getting a strobe light for your Mavic Mini.  all you would need is just one.  for the most part, you are either seeing the flashing strobe light directly....or you aren't.  even in the daytime, you can probably tell which way it is facing from quite a bit difference away.  this is what I use because I'm not looking at the display as often as I should be especially when the drone is moving quickly.  I use 2 strobes in the front (red and green) and one white strobe in the rear.  as a result, I can easily tell which way my drone is facing and believe it or not, at night I can determine this from over a mile away in poor light.  for sure on my m2z I have seen it from 2 miles away at night.  I only use strobes from firehousetechnology.
2020-1-11
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

fansb693f9b6 Posted at 1-11 13:54
Maybe someone could help
My mavic min refuses to pair to the remote.

What do you see in the DJI Fly app, what messages ?
There is an option to bind the RC to the AC in DJI Fly have you tried this method. It's in the Control Menu - "Connect to Aircraft" ?

Have you tried both the software and physical methods to link the RC to AC

2020-1-11
Use props
FreshFlyer
lvl.2
United Kingdom

The Saint Posted at 1-11 14:40
hi fresh, consider getting a strobe light for your Mavic Mini.  all you would need is just one.  for the most part, you are either seeing the flashing strobe light directly....or you aren't.  even in the daytime, you can probably tell which way it is facing from quite a bit difference away.  this is what I use because I'm not looking at the display as often as I should be especially when the drone is moving quickly.  I use 2 strobes in the front (red and green) and one white strobe in the rear.  as a result, I can easily tell which way my drone is facing and believe it or not, at night I can determine this from over a mile away in poor light.  for sure on my m2z I have seen it from 2 miles away at night.  I only use strobes from firehousetechnology.

Thanks for the great advice. I have researched them and it seems ideal. Do you use the holders or double sided tape?
2020-1-14
Use props
FreshFlyer
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 1-11 10:55
Hello and good day FreshFlyer. Thank you for reaching out and for the inquiry. You may know the orientation of the DJI Mavic Mini when on flight by looking at the aircraft status indicator light for the drone that is found at the back of the DJI Mavic Mini. You may also look at this icon found on the lower middle part of the DJI Fly application for you to also know the orientation for the drone when flying. In addition the RTH procedure of the DJI Mavic Mini as follows : If the altitude is lower than 20m, the aircraft ascends to the RTH altitude or 20m, and then adjusts its orientation. IF the altitude is higher than 20m, the aircraft adjusts its orientation immediately. If the aircraft is further than 20m from the Home Point when the RTH procedure begins, it ascends to the preset RTH altitude and flies to the Home Point at a speed of 8m/s. If the current altitude is higher than the RTH altitude, the aircraft flies to the Home Point at the current altitude and if the aircraft is less than 20m from the Home Point when the RTH procedure begins it lands immediately. After reaching the Home Point, the aircraft lands and the motor stops. Thank you.

Thanks a lot for you help. At the moment as a fresher my eyes are glued to the drone but gradually being bifocal .
2020-1-14
Use props
FreshFlyer
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Tervist Posted at 1-10 07:00
You can edit videos directly through the DJI Fly app:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9Q7Do6PVhw

There's a directional indicator at the bottom center of your screen that tells you which way your drone is facing relative to the  controller:

Thank you for your help. I am guilty as charged for not reading the users manual Thanks for the link.
2020-1-14
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

FreshFlyer Posted at 1-14 02:17
Thanks for the great advice. I have researched them and it seems ideal. Do you use the holders or double sided tape?

for my strobes, I have holders to mount to the drone legs but if you are concerned about weigh, you should consider using velcro or tape.  probably depends on the strobe but I have the really tiny ones from firehousetechnology.
2020-1-14
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

I created a thread a while back that helps with returning your drone safely when you dont know it's orientation. The video is not mine but is good help for all drones.
Hope it helps:

https://forum.dji.com/thread-203223-1-1.html
2020-1-14
Use props
FreshFlyer
lvl.2
United Kingdom

The Saint Posted at 1-11 14:40
hi fresh, consider getting a strobe light for your Mavic Mini.  all you would need is just one.  for the most part, you are either seeing the flashing strobe light directly....or you aren't.  even in the daytime, you can probably tell which way it is facing from quite a bit difference away.  this is what I use because I'm not looking at the display as often as I should be especially when the drone is moving quickly.  I use 2 strobes in the front (red and green) and one white strobe in the rear.  as a result, I can easily tell which way my drone is facing and believe it or not, at night I can determine this from over a mile away in poor light.  for sure on my m2z I have seen it from 2 miles away at night.  I only use strobes from firehousetechnology.

Firehouse Technologies will not ship to the United Kingdom small orders so I wonder if any one has a recommendations of a good strobe light alternative for the Mavic Mini.
2020-1-14
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

FreshFlyer Posted at 1-14 02:20
Thanks a lot for you help. At the moment as a fresher my eyes are glued to the drone but gradually being bifocal .

You are very much welcome FreshFlyer. Have a safe and a happy flying always.
2020-1-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules