Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
8K video hype ...
12Next >
1867 47 2020-1-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Since DJI is somehow hesitant to release new, advanced technology on professional level recently, new players are eagerly trying to fill the gap. Unfortunately at the expense of naive beginners, lured by impressive video resolution specs ... Thing is that 8K resolution video squeezed off 1/2" sensor into UHD file in h.264 or even 265 format will most likely be of poor quality in terms of dynamics and noise, not to mention colour rendering and compression artifacts. The same 8K resolution delivered by at least Super 35mm size sensor may be investigation worthy, but not at a consumer level videography. Be aware of these marketing hype traps ...

2020-1-11
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I agree with that, also the size of the 8k files and the PC processing power required to  play and edit 8k video is significant
2020-1-11
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 95125112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The 8K from the eve didn't even look that good,  will be curious to see what the better sensor and 6K will be like when they release it,  but still my PC would take a while to edit that footage.
2020-1-12
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

DAFlys Posted at 1-12 02:50
The 8K from the eve didn't even look that good,  will be curious to see what the better sensor and 6K will be like when they release it,  but still my PC would take a while to edit that footage.

Judging video/image quality having only YouTube publication to deal with is absurd. However, the very basic knowledge about modern image sensors technology is rising awareness here.
2020-1-12
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

100% couldn't have said it better myself.
2020-1-12
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

100% true.
I find 2.7K to be more than enough.
FHD is still my optimum.
2020-1-12
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 1-12 23:15
100% true.
I find 2.7K to be more than enough.
FHD is still my optimum.

The one big benefit is the digital cropping you can do.
2020-1-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DAFlys Posted at 1-13 01:46
The one big benefit is the digital cropping you can do.

Only when the lens is good enough to resolve 8K in detail.
2020-1-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 1-13 02:18
Only when the lens is good enough to resolve 8K in detail.

this is very true.  The same from orginaldobo looked quite reasonable for cropping in to the helicopter.
2020-1-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DAFlys Posted at 1-13 02:24
this is very true.  The same from orginaldobo looked quite reasonable for cropping in to the helicopter.

I have my doubts about the current lenses on the market (small sized). Since 4K or 2.7K don't show much more detail.
2020-1-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 1-13 04:53
I have my doubts about the current lenses on the market (small sized). Since 4K or 2.7K don't show much more detail.

Check out the footage he took.  
2020-1-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DAFlys Posted at 1-13 05:32
Check out the footage he took.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaU_2_gmPgU

It is very hard to compare to 4K or 2.7K.
Unless you have a camera system with various bodies and 1 lens.
2020-1-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DAFlys Posted at 1-13 05:32
Check out the footage he took.  

Rather pointless look at sharpness like this in youtube.
UNLESS he posted like a 200% crop to show the real sharpness (camera performance).
AND compare it to the same 200% crop from a 4K camera feed.
Now we are seeing a scaled down version.

There are only a few ytbers I know that really take their time and make good camera reviews.
Luckily we have one here on the forum (skyhigh)
2020-1-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 1-13 05:38
Rather pointless look at sharpness like this in youtube.
UNLESS he posted like a 200% crop to show the real sharpness (camera performance).
AND compare it to the same 200% crop from a 4K camera feed.

The review by flytpath was maybe a better comparison.

2020-1-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DAFlys Posted at 1-13 06:33
The review by flytpath was maybe a better comparison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XidqS5yvlg

Definitely better.
M2P looks better.
2020-1-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 1-13 06:40
Definitely better.
M2P looks better.

I thought that too.
2020-1-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DAFlys Posted at 1-13 06:41
I thought that too.

It is.
Plus it is smaller.
2020-1-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I think this video explains the con around this Camera, and common sense would tell people that there is some creative marketing going on here.
Questions to ask yourself.

1/ why is camera drone with 8k cheaper than the one with 6k
2/ why is the 48mp camera drone cheaper than the 20mp camera, the video explains that the 48mp is effectively 12mp and nothing more than that.

On paper it looks great, but I’m not buying paper.

I think similar to skydio the hype will be just that hype .

It seems very strange also to have 8gb storage with 8k camera, I will wait until I see those who spent their hard earned cash have to say .

2020-1-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Montfrooij Posted at 1-13 06:40
Definitely better.
M2P looks better.

Autel looks like a Jaffa ;+) , reports from YT by TOMS Tech is build quality is not great,
2020-1-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 1-13 07:15
I think this video explains the con around this Camera, and common sense would tell people that there is some creative marketing going on here.
Questions to ask yourself.

Because of the size of the sensor, the 6k is 1" rather than 1/2"
2020-1-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 1-13 06:41
It is.
Plus it is smaller.

I carry my M2P a lot so size is important to me,  for example I would never get a drone that didn't fold.
2020-1-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

DAFlys Posted at 1-13 08:39
Because of the size of the sensor, the 6k is 1" rather than 1/2"

I do actually understand that, but I think as the video has shown a lot of creative marketing going on here, it seems that drone manufacturers slightly deceptive here .
I'm sure if you can fit 8k into half inch then it shouldn't be that difficult to fit 8k into a 1 inch.
2020-1-13
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 1-13 08:49
I do actually understand that, but I think as the video has shown a lot of creative marketing going on here, it seems that drone manufacturers slightly deceptive here .
I'm sure if you can fit 8k into half inch then it shouldn't be that difficult to fit 8k into a 1 inch.

Apparently there's a lot to understand on this topic ... Instead of delivering elaborate explanation here, simply Google-ing "sensor size vs. image quality" will reveal tons of good information. But, in very condensed form, the principles are that

"Digital compact cameras have substantially smaller sensors offering a similar number of pixels. As a consequence, the pixels are much smaller, which is a key reason for poor image quality, especially in terms of noise and dynamic range."

Offering fingernail size sensor with 8K resolution, mounted behind smartphone lens is a step backward in aerial imagery field. Nothing to salivate about ...

2020-1-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 1-13 11:46
Apparently there's a lot to understand on this topic ... Instead of delivering elaborate explanation here, simply Google-ing "sensor size vs. image quality" will reveal tons of good information. But, in very condensed form, the principles are that

"Digital compact cameras have substantially smaller sensors offering a similar number of pixels. As a consequence, the pixels are much smaller, which is a key reason for poor image quality, especially in terms of noise and dynamic range."

It will be when people realize that you’ll get better low light quality from a Mavic Mini lol .

I have to say their new drones look great on paper, but there was so much hype about skydio taking over and it being the new drone we would all be flying.
But what came out was a one trick pony with huge problems with delivery CS is also a real problem for them and I now hear that repairs will now be sent to China as they have no facility in the US, it’s all hype and designed to somewhat fool us out of giving them our money, but I think the best drones with the best cameras will always win out in the end.
But I’m loving that companies are trying to push dji to unleashing their technology, fun times ahead me thinks .
2020-1-13
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 1-13 12:02
It will be when people realize that you’ll get better low light quality from a Mavic Mini lol .

I have to say their new drones look great on paper, but there was so much hype about skydio taking over and it being the new drone we would all be flying.

Since the birth of Phantom concept there was a countless number of attempts to de-throne DJI by a competitors-to-be, none really successful. None was offering truly revolutionary, game changing features, being a flimsy clones at best. IMO recent outburst of non DJI brands with supposedly fascinating specs is - ironically - a symptom of consumer class drones fading away as the result of tightening grip of regulations and restrictions. Magical obstacle avoidance talents, absurdly useless 8K video resolutions are all marketing hypes in order to lure yet another generation of drone enthusiasts and milk this dying cow as long as possible. My intention is to create awareness of such danger ... That's me, incurable skeptic saying ...
2020-1-13
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 1-13 11:46
Apparently there's a lot to understand on this topic ... Instead of delivering elaborate explanation here, simply Google-ing "sensor size vs. image quality" will reveal tons of good information. But, in very condensed form, the principles are that

Agreed. The picture quality is not going to improve substantially until the cameras start carrying around decent lenses. The Micro Four Thirds , or m4/3, lenses promised to be way to solve this, but the weight of the lenses is far too great to carry on any of the modern drones, particularly when the size is getting smaller and lighter. What is needed is for a lens maker to develop a small range of high quality, but light weight lenses, then we might see some competition in the quality classes.
2020-1-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DAFlys Posted at 1-13 08:40
I carry my M2P a lot so size is important to me,  for example I would never get a drone that didn't fold.

Yes, I totally get that!
2020-1-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Geebax Posted at 1-13 13:34
Agreed. The picture quality is not going to improve substantially until the cameras start carrying around decent lenses. The Micro Four Thirds , or m4/3, lenses promised to be way to solve this, but the weight of the lenses is far too great to carry on any of the modern drones, particularly when the size is getting smaller and lighter. What is needed is for a lens maker to develop a small range of high quality, but light weight lenses, then we might see some competition in the quality classes.

True.
From what I have seen, lenses are the limiting factor.
We don't need more resolution in the sensor, but resolving power in the lenses!
2020-1-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

I have to say their new drones look great on paper, but there was so much hype about skydio taking over and it being the new drone we would all be flying.

A little competition is good. But I agree. From what I have seen now, the recent DJI drones outperform it (image quality wise)
2020-1-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

hallmark007 Posted at 1-13 07:19
Autel looks like a Jaffa ;+) , reports from YT by TOMS Tech is build quality is not great,

I won't be moving over to 'the other side'
2020-1-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Montfrooij Posted at 1-13 14:12
A little competition is good. But I agree. From what I have seen now, the recent DJI drones outperform it (image quality wise)

It will be interesting to see what dji come up with, I believe unless there is a major change in the sensor that all companies can do is move stuff about and call them different names.

Since I started to shave companies who manufacture new blades every year telling me I can now get a closer shave, but I’m shaving so long if it gets any closer I’ll be shaving my skin off ;+)....
2020-1-13
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Geebax Posted at 1-13 13:34
Agreed. The picture quality is not going to improve substantially until the cameras start carrying around decent lenses. The Micro Four Thirds , or m4/3, lenses promised to be way to solve this, but the weight of the lenses is far too great to carry on any of the modern drones, particularly when the size is getting smaller and lighter. What is needed is for a lens maker to develop a small range of high quality, but light weight lenses, then we might see some competition in the quality classes.

Oh, it was done to a great success with Inspire class drones. Unfortunately the demand for such apparatus happen to be much smaller than DJI predicted, I believe. This may explain relative stagnation in future development of Inspire and X gimbal concept. Excellent Zenmuse X7 camera was delivered to the amusement of even the most demanding aerial filmmakers, but highly anticipated handheld incarnation wasn't ... Instead, all competent hands on DJI's deck were transferred to more lucrative enterprise department. I would love to be totally wrong on my predictions ...
2020-1-13
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Eventually 4k will be obsolete.  Everyone is just trying to get excited on the next newest thing.
2020-1-14
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have to say their new drones look great on paper, but there was so much hype about skydio taking over and it being the new drone we would all be flying.

Personally I find some of the Skydio 2 footage makes me feel sick,  it has some strange manoeuvring techniques that don't feel very natural to me.
2020-1-14
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 1-13 14:12

Agreed competition is always a good thing.
2020-1-14
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Lucas775 Posted at 1-14 00:46
Eventually 4k will be obsolete.  Everyone is just trying to get excited on the next newest thing.

Unlikely,  people still use film cameras, obviously its declined a lot but its still useable.
2020-1-14
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 1-13 14:13
I won't be moving over to 'the other side'

I have no plans to replace my M2P any time soon,  if I do get another drone it will probably be a home made fpv.
2020-1-14
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

hallmark007 Posted at 1-13 14:30
It will be interesting to see what dji come up with, I believe unless there is a major change in the sensor that all companies can do is move stuff about and call them different names.

Since I started to shave companies who manufacture new blades every year telling me I can now get a closer shave, but I’m shaving so long if it gets any closer I’ll be shaving my skin off ;+)....

Yes true.
Interesting times!
2020-1-14
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DAFlys Posted at 1-14 00:53
Agreed competition is always a good thing.

I'm very curious what the nearby future will bring.
2020-1-14
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DAFlys Posted at 1-14 00:55
I have no plans to replace my M2P any time soon,  if I do get another drone it will probably be a home made fpv.

I totally get that.
I do have plans to replace my trustworthy MP.
But not soon.
First see which drones will fall in which EU category after July.
2020-1-14
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules