Minor camera distortion?
1023 6 2020-1-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MBender
lvl.2
Flight distance : 807116 ft
Poland

I did a few short flights, recorded some footage and started some small home editing (mostly for fun - this isn't the kind of drone footage I'd want to share just yet). However, I noticed something in some of the shots - a strange... distortion, in the upper-middle of the image. This distortion is subtle, but now that I've noticed it I can't stop seeing it. It's mostly visible when the drone is panning.

Here's a short clip:

Can you see it? Or am I just going mad after all the editing...?

PS. I've JUST uploaded the clip, so the quality might be a bit wonkers. Hopefully YT will improve it.
2020-1-12
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I don't see it, but the youtube quality is rather bad here right now.
Try some video with straight lines to make it more clear.
2020-1-12
Use props
MBender
lvl.2
Poland

I found this topic: https://forum.dji.com/thread-206097-1-1.html

So it seems I'm not paranoid after all, and minor distortion effects are normal. I can take a picture of some tiles with the Mini, but I'm not sure if there's any point now. If this is something to be expected, then I guess it's only a problem when the distortion is "too much" (but how much is "too much" is a different question).
2020-1-12
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi MBender, sorry that the distortion you mentioned is not easy to be seen. May we have another clip for further verification?
For the pictures in this thread https://forum.dji.com/thread-206097-1-1.html, this minor distortion is within the normal range, our engineers will keep optimizing its performance via the firmware upgrade, please note the future update. Thank you.
2020-1-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Try to pan slower,  its nicer for the viewer.
2020-1-13
Use props
MBender
lvl.2
Poland

Not an ideal picture; I found it difficult to pick a spot in my bathroom where the tiles are plentiful enough to allow more of them to be visible (for comparisons sake). It seems I took the photo at a slight angle as well. Still, even with that in mind, the curvature is visible.

As stated earlier, I can't tell if this is "too much" distortion, or if this is to be expected in such a drone...
2020-1-13
Use props
AssassinX
lvl.1
Flight distance : 26329 ft
United States

I have noticed the same thing and was wondering if mine has a defect. From what I can tell from other posts and by carefully watching other MM videos, this distortion is something all (or at least most) Mavic Mini's have. Also visible if you take a photo of anything with straight lines. There seems to be a moustache shaped distortion. I have literally one day left in my exchange policy with Best Buy but I will be keeping it because everything else about my Mini is absolutely perfect. From reading other posts, it seems that more tuning is needed by DJI on the the built-in lens distortion correction. I noticed it when I was first editing this photo in Lightroom and seeing all sorts of lens distortion (the horizontal lines should all be straight). Reviewing the video I noticed the playground lines warping while moving the drone leftward over the playground.

2020-1-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules