Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
180º Panos Straight Down
1562 24 2020-1-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MRomine
First Officer
Flight distance : 850971 ft
United States

Is there a way to make the camera on the M2P shoot panos looking straight down?
2020-1-13
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. Thank you for reaching out to DJI Forum. With regards to this inquiry. I am sorry to say, that his process is not possible on the said drone. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2020-1-13
Use props
MRomine
First Officer
United States

If you wanted to stitch together a six panel pano shooting straight down, how would you go about doing it? M2P.
Let me ask this way:

I have a request from a client who wants an aerial shot of a construction site looking straight down onto the property. But because I am in a Class D airspace near the local airport I can only fly to an elevation of 100'. But at one hundred feet I can only get about 1/6 of the project into a single frame. So I was thinking about trying to stitch together six frames but I have no idea of how to go about lining up the drone and over lapping each frame by 30% so that either LR or PS can stitch them together.

Your thoughts?
2020-1-13
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Paladin Posted at 1-13 15:27
Hi. Thank you for reaching out to DJI Forum. With regards to this inquiry. I am sorry to say, that his process is not possible on the said drone. Thank you for your understanding and support.

Do you know anything about flying a drone?
Really?
Of course it's possible, and very easy.
2020-1-13
Use props
Labroides
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

MRomine Posted at 1-13 15:32
If you wanted to stitch together a six panel pano shooting straight down, how would you go about doing it? M2P.
Let me ask this way:

What's the problem?
Just fly across the site shooting straight downwards.
Take plenty of shots, allowing a generous overlap.
If you want precision overlap, download DroneDeploy and use that to plan the flight and do the flying for you.
2020-1-13
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

You could give this a shot, and once the navigable 360 is rendered, take a screen grab: https://hangar.com/hangar360/
2020-1-13
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Let me ask this way:

Aloha Romine,

The comments will all work.  You might be able to draw a grid with DJI Pilot (free) but you certainly can with Litchi ($).  Then use the free Image Composite Editor to stitch them together.  It does a real good job.  

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2020-1-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 93626696 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ive done this with the trial of Drone Deploy.  
2020-1-14
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

What is your definition of straight down pano?
Usually a pano involves some kind of movement between shots.
Do you want that to be the gimbal moving up?
Or do you want to fly in a line, taking several pictures looking straight down?
2020-1-14
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Let me ask this way:

Aloha Romine,

As Labroides noted, "Take plenty of shots,".  This is because at only 100 feet, the high objects will have a parallax effect that changes each image enough that stitching can be a problem.  Buildings, walls, trees, even tall bushes might distort the photo so it will not stitch.

However, as Labroides notes, take more photos and the closer they are together, the less distortion there will be.  Whatever stitching program you use, it will have an algorithm that minimizes the distortion in the photo set.  If the distortion is too much for the algorithm, the program will say the stitching cannot be done.  That does not mean stop, it means take more photos for the stitch set!

The Litchi flight planning and flight program allows you to "split the waypoints" with a waypoint in the middle.  I did this with a test flight over a small area and then took that information and expanded it over the whole site.  Kind of thrilling when it finally works!

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2020-1-14
Use props
MRomine
First Officer
United States

DAFlys Posted at 1-14 01:37
Ive done this with the trial of Drone Deploy.

Was looking at that but I don't want the monthly subscription. I won't get enough use out of it to justify the cost.
2020-1-14
Use props
MRomine
First Officer
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 1-14 01:53
What is your definition of straight down pano?
Usually a pano involves some kind of movement between shots.
Do you want that to be the gimbal moving up?

My bad, should have used words with a better description. Gimbal needs to point down the entire time. So I guess this falls better under the description of mapping instead of pano.
2020-1-14
Use props
MRomine
First Officer
United States

Cetacean Posted at 1-14 14:21
Aloha Romine,

As Labroides noted, "Take plenty of shots,".  This is because at only 100 feet, the high objects will have a parallax effect that changes each image enough that stitching can be a problem.  Buildings, walls, trees, even tall bushes might distort the photo so it will not stitch.

Yeah, such a good pint about the lower altitude stuff. I did not even think of that. Thanks man!
2020-1-14
Use props
MRomine
First Officer
United States

A side question. Those of you who have used Litchi how does it handle Unlocking Licenses when installed on a SC?
2020-1-14
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

MRomine Posted at 1-14 15:08
Yeah, such a good pint about the lower altitude stuff. I did not even think of that. Thanks man!

Aloha Romine,

Try downloading and using DJI Pilot.  It has Waypoints as one half of the Splash Page.  As a DJI product, you might have an easier time.  If you use an iPad, the Ground Station Pro program by DJI might be useful.  Both are free (or were).

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2020-1-14
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 93626696 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MRomine Posted at 1-14 15:06
Was looking at that but I don't want the monthly subscription. I won't get enough use out of it to justify the cost.

I use the IOS app to generate the images (it doesn't require the subscription) and then stick with ODM and open source mapping tool.  Ive heard other use Microsoft ICE also free but Ive not tried it.
2020-1-15
Use props
Labroides
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

MRomine Posted at 1-14 15:06

DroneDeploy gives you a 14 day free trial.
If you sign up for a subscription, it's only for their processing.
You can continue to use the app for as long as you like.

But if you are only wanting a 6 image composite, that should be very simple to do freehand anyway.
2020-1-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

MRomine Posted at 1-14 15:07
My bad, should have used words with a better description. Gimbal needs to point down the entire time. So I guess this falls better under the description of mapping instead of pano.

Ok.
So you mean automated flight.
Flying in a pre defined pattern where you can control the pitch of the gimbal and when it takes images?

If so, stock DJI Go4 app does not have this.
BUT you do have several other apps that can achieve it.
I believe the waypoints from DJI can do this and Litchi as well.
I have not tried either one.
2020-1-15
Use props
MRomine
First Officer
United States

Cetacean Posted at 1-13 22:20
Aloha Romine,

The comments will all work.  You might be able to draw a grid with DJI Pilot (free) but you certainly can with Litchi ($).  Then use the free Image Composite Editor to stitch them together.  It does a real good job.  

Thanks for the recommendation but I need a Mac app.
2020-1-16
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

MRomine Posted at 1-16 06:20

Aloha Romine,

Then the Ground Station Pro program by DJI, as I mentioned, is what you want to look into.  It is a very interesting program you can get for free from DJI.  It is only available for iOS.  We keep asking for an Android version but it is still only for iOS.

Aloha and Drone On!
2020-1-16
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

MRomine Posted at 1-16 06:20

Aloha Romine,

Labroides also has a good point.  DroneDeploy does stay useable on your computer.  You can always find an alternative for processing.

Aloha and Drone On!
2020-1-16
Use props
MRomine
First Officer
United States

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and tips. I was back at this project again yesterday. The building that I was photographing is a five unit two story town-house, it's probably 125' long. It's located in a class 'D' airspace and this part has a ceiling limit of only 100'. So as was suggested I flew manually and took 34 frames flying the length of the building. I tried stitching them in both PS and LR. And it looks pretty ugly. As was mentioned above the parallax problem seems to be too great for this low altitude. See below:

2020-1-17
Use props
AntDX316
Captain
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

MRomine Posted at 1-17 13:46
Thank you everyone for your suggestions and tips. I was back at this project again yesterday. The building that I was photographing is a five unit two story town-house, it's probably 125' long. It's located in a class 'D' airspace and this part has a ceiling limit of only 100'. So as was suggested I flew manually and took 34 frames flying the length of the building. I tried stitching them in both PS and LR. And it looks pretty ugly. As was mentioned above the parallax problem seems to be too great for this low altitude. See below:

[view_image]

You can just use DJI GS Pilot to fly a path with GPS.  If you fly too fast it will deviate.
2020-1-22
Use props
labroidesyahoo.com
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

MRomine Posted at 1-17 13:46
Thank you everyone for your suggestions and tips. I was back at this project again yesterday. The building that I was photographing is a five unit two story town-house, it's probably 125' long. It's located in a class 'D' airspace and this part has a ceiling limit of only 100'. So as was suggested I flew manually and took 34 frames flying the length of the building. I tried stitching them in both PS and LR. And it looks pretty ugly. As was mentioned above the parallax problem seems to be too great for this low altitude. See below:

[view_image]

Ahh .. you didn't mention that you were wanting to shoot a building roof.
Roofs are always tricky.
The solution is to also shoot oblique photos around the building to include in the composite image.
DroneDeploy uses a special Structures Mode to automate it for you.

https://blog.dronedeploy.com/dro ... drones-d0ee7eecc793
2020-1-22
Use props
iGator
lvl.1

United States

Let me ask this way:

Could you attach a 360 camera, like a Ricoh Theta V or Ricoh Theta Z1 to the quadcopter and shoot the 360 pano? PGY Tech makes an adapter to attach the camera:

https://www.amazon.com/PGYTECH-Connection-Standard-Connector-Accessories/dp/B07HBN5TJM
2020-1-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules