My Mavic Air falled from the SKY! Anyone explain why?
1194 7 2020-1-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Salimco
lvl.1

Turkey

Hello,
Yesterday while I fly mavic air, it suddenly stop working and falled from the sky and unluckily hit my sister and dropped to the snow. (luckily she protected her head with her hands and no serious harm. Two propellers broke and I don't know if it is working now or not. It is waiting in rice now in case of get water inside)
Weather was calm, little bit foggy but no raining or snowing. Temperature is around 0 Celsius.
This happened for the first time in last 4 months I start using it. I really wonder why this happened? I got the flight record and sharing them as well. Can anyone interpret this values?
Before the drop, I see that it gives motor obstracted error but what could be the reason for this error? Just before it stopped, I feel something is wrong with ti because it was shaking in air and I started to bring it down but it stopped suddenly
I really believed in DJI quality until this happened and I don't know how can I fly it anymore especially over lakes and seas Hope I can fly it again with the trust I have before.

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/PVG0MOOLL6AQLD9C63X4/

Thank you
Salim  
2020-1-13
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Salim, sorry to hear that it happened that way and I hope someone would chime in and help you out with the flight record.
2020-1-14
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It loolks like you took off without enough satellites and probably in conditions too cold for the Mini, there are warning about battery temperature and voltages.  Also you lost GPS during the flight and went into ATTI mode so you would be having to control how the Mini flew more.
2020-1-14
Use props
Aerial-Image.co.uk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1452408 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Batteries too cold- voltage drops quickly - stops flying! - Simple -
Keep the batteries in your INSIDE pockets - also use a gentle slow movement in cold weather - ie no full stick movement.
2020-1-14
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Salim,

Please be sure to put your Mavic Air in a cloth bag, like a pillow case, before you put it in rice.  The pillow case keeps the rice and rice powder from getting in the motors and body and causing problems.  If you did not put the Mavic Air in a cloth bag, be sure to check the Mavic Air for rice dust and rice and use compressed air, if you can, to blow out any rice or dust.  

Then take off the propellers and see if the motors turn.  If they turn easily and just like each other, try to start the motors with a different battery.  I have never done this with a Mavic Air, so I do not know if it is possible.  Otherwise, replace the propellers, go to a safe area when it is not freezing, or real cold, and try to start it up.  See if it will hover.

The flight record indicates in the first line that the battery was not warm enough to be flown safely.  DJI does sell battery warmers.  The temperature you note was at freezing, 0 degrees Celsius.  The conditions were high humidity, foggy.  The motor obstruction could have been freezing water drops but I do not know for sure.  

The voltages and deviations should be read by another Forum Member to evaluate anything I say next.  The voltages and deviations indicate that Cell 3 was consistently lower than Cells 1 & 2.  This created unsafe deviations as seen in the colored numbers.  I would recommend that you not fly this battery except under very controlled conditions, when it is warm, so you can see how compromised the battery is.

Hopefully, the battery will work properly in warm weather.  But, it really seems that the freezing and humid (foggy) conditions caused your problem.  Do you regularly fly in freezing conditions?  

If you have to fly when it is freezing, make sure it is not also humid (foggy).  Be sure to warm the battery before you go outside and fly.  Do not let the battery cool off.  Some people put it inside their coat.  The motor goes through temperature changes depending on RPM.  In your case, the motors were not working hard and getting hotter since your Mavic Air was hovering most of the time.  The battery cells go through temperature changes as each cell releases voltages and Cell 3 was apparently coldest since it was not working well with the other cells causing the deviations.  

The recommendation at the beginning to warm up the battery would have given the battery a better chance to work properly during the entire planned flight.  The motors were not working hard and getting hotter since your Mavic Air was hovering most of the time.  

The reduced voltages appear to have not been able to keep the motors working well enough to keep turning as the fog water drops turned into ice.  With the weak voltages and no high RPM to heat the motors better, enough ice formed to obstruct the motors or a particular motor.  The shaking was when the motor slowed or stopped and the flight controller tried to compensate.  Eventually, the flight controller shut down the Mavic Air motors.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2020-1-14
Use props
Salimco
lvl.1

Turkey

Cetacean Posted at 1-14 01:59
Aloha Salim,

Please be sure to put your Mavic Air in a cloth bag, like a pillow case, before you put it in rice.  The pillow case keeps the rice and rice powder from getting in the motors and body and causing problems.  If you did not put the Mavic Air in a cloth bag, be sure to check the Mavic Air for rice dust and rice and use compressed air, if you can, to blow out any rice or dust.  

Thank you for detailed explanation.
Actually this was the first time ı fly in cold and foggy condition. I need to be more careful as you states.
I changed the propillars and recalibrate it and it seems working fine in first try.
This was a good learning for me.
Thanks.
2020-1-14
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Salim. I am sorry to read and to know what happened to your previous flight with your DJI Mavic Mini. This is not the experience we want you to have with DJI. Since this unfortunate issue happened. Kindly please contact out DJI Support Team for further assistance at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav. We would do their best to find out the reason of the incident and then the corresponding resolution would be provided. Again I am sorry for the trouble and thank you.
2020-1-14
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Salimco Posted at 1-14 05:18
Thank you for detailed explanation.
Actually this was the first time ı fly in cold and foggy condition. I need to be more careful as you states.
I changed the propillars and recalibrate it and it seems working fine in first try.

Aloha Salim,

That is good to hear!  Stay warm and keep your batteries warm to as Aerial-Image noted.  

Aloha and Drone On!
2020-1-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules