Flying the Mavic Mini below 0 degrees (Celsius)
6837 7 2020-1-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Un4Seen
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1074646 ft
Romania

Hi All!

My Mavic Mini is arriving today and I'm hoping to give it a test flight tomorrow. Weather conditions will be perfect, no precipitation, almost no wind, clear skies. Except one thing: the temperature at ground level will be -4 degrees celsius and that's probably going to stay like that for a few days.

I know that according to the specs the Mavic Mini can operate between 0-40 degrees Celsius. But is that a strict rule or more like a recommendation? I'd really love to fly the Mini tomorrow in -4 degrees. I know that I have to start with warm batteries and that's not a problem because I have a large filed just next to my house, so I'll be taking off just 2 minutes after I exit the house.

I know that people have flown the Mini in cold weather without problems and I predict that it work just fine, but I'm curious about DJI's standpoint on this. First of all, will flying in -4 degrees void my warranty? Second of all, how big of a risk do they see in going just a few degrees below the recommended limit.

Thanks!

PS: I have another GPS drone from another manufacturer and honestly I never bothered to read the specs for that one because it's a cheaper thingy and that drone flew without any problems in temperatures as low as -8 degrees multiple times.
2020-1-14
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

The battery is a Li-ion type, that will be affected by low temperatures.
Mainly in how long it will last.
I suspect -4 won't be a big problem.

Best to keep the spares close to your body and keep the drone close to you when flying.
2020-1-14
Use props
Un4Seen
lvl.2
Romania

Yes, I know that Lithium batteries don't like cold, I don't plan to drain the battery below 40%-50% for that reason. I just want to try out the drone, see how it flies. But I don't want to void my warranty in the process...
2020-1-14
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Un4Seen Posted at 1-14 02:27
Yes, I know that Lithium batteries don't like cold, I don't plan to drain the battery below 40%-50% for that reason. I just want to try out the drone, see how it flies. But I don't want to void my warranty in the process...

I see. I never had issues with low temperatures on my MP.
PS, if you respond to somebody, it is best to hit the small REPLY link below the post you are replying to.
That way a user gets a notification
2020-1-14
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. Thank you for reaching out to DJI Forum. With regards to flying the drone below the recommended temperature. Flying the drone in a location that is below zero may affect the performance of the said drone please fly safely. In addition, I will be posting an image for more details regarding the warranty of the said drone. Thank you and safe flying.

2020-1-14
Use props
Un4Seen
lvl.2
Romania

DJI Paladin Posted at 1-14 12:26
Hi. Thank you for reaching out to DJI Forum. With regards to flying the drone below the recommended temperature. Flying the drone in a location that is below zero may affect the performance of the said drone please fly safely. In addition, I will be posting an image for more details regarding the warranty of the said drone. Thank you and safe flying.

[view_image]

Thank you for the clarification. So, in other words, if my drone becomes damaged during flying below 0, it is considered not covered by warranty (makes sense), but if the drone does not get damaged during this flight, I do not lose my warranty just because I flew below 0. If the drone becomes damaged 3 months later in suitable flying conditions, my warranty will still be valid. That's perfectly reasonable.
2020-1-14
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Un4Seen Posted at 1-14 15:05
Thank you for the clarification. So, in other words, if my drone becomes damaged during flying below 0, it is considered not covered by warranty (makes sense), but if the drone does not get damaged during this flight, I do not lose my warranty just because I flew below 0. If the drone becomes damaged 3 months later in suitable flying conditions, my warranty will still be valid. That's perfectly reasonable.

Hi. Thank you for these additional information you have shared. You are correct if the drone was damaged on the results of not following the recommended conditions and regulations given by DJI. This will be considered as a pilot error and might void the warranty of the said drone. Damaged to the drone will be subjected to assessment by our DJI repair team. After the assessment our DJI repair team will be the one to conclude if the said damaged is covered under the warranty of the said drone or not. Please try to follow the rules and regulations for safer flight. Thank you.
2020-1-14
Use props
Un4Seen
lvl.2
Romania

Ok, so no flying below 0 degrees then
2020-1-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules