Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
alternate propeller design for windy conditions ?
1594 24 2020-1-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ninogui

Portugal

Hi all

I am not trying to make the Mini what it is not, as i believe it is not a wind resistant drone and for that you have other designs, but why not go back to the aviation basics 101 of mass+power-fueling drawing board and come up with a higher slant angle propeller design for improved thrust even at fueling cost - let´s say 15 mins flight time ?

Or is the engine and amp draw not going to cope ?

(hope this is not a full silly question)

2020-1-14
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Captain
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

Interested about this, but I guess the FW would need to be adapted too?
2020-1-14
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 93626696 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I think its probably more about product placement,  if you want something that performs better there are other drones in the range that can do that.
2020-1-14
Use props
ninogui

Portugal

DAFlys Posted at 1-14 03:45
I think its probably more about product placement,  if you want something that performs better there are other drones in the range that can do that.

Not an export but I would say it´s a matter of having  option in the menu for 2 different calibration tables for each control item if you are using the "chase" higher slant propellers vs the regular ones ?

I am sure Dji´s design division can surely come up quickly (if they want) with something towards this.
Offer it as a propeller kit :  chase propeller kit (that´s just a name)
(calibration: option kit installed yes/no)
2020-1-14
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ninogui Posted at 1-14 03:56
Not an export but I would say it´s a matter of having  option in the menu for 2 different calibration tables for each control item if you are using the "chase" higher slant propellers vs the regular ones ?

I am sure Dji´s design division can surely come up quickly (if they want) with something towards this.

Im sure they could but that might hurt sales of more expensive products.
2020-1-14
Use props
ninogui

Portugal

DAFlys Posted at 1-14 04:00

I get it

Too much unleashed potential then ? lolol
If that´s the case then everyone should have gotten the japanese model ? lol

Otherwise I would be kidding to say unleashed potential = tinkerer´s dream lol
2020-1-14
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
Captain
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

From my own experiences, I think the mini is excellent in high winds with an extremely over sensitive wind warning...
2020-1-14
Use props
DowntownRDB
Captain
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 1-14 04:00

Exactly.  Goes back to basic Marketing strategies.  
2020-1-14
Use props
ninogui

Portugal

R&L Aerial photography Posted at 1-14 04:12
From my own experiences, I think the mini is excellent in high winds with an extremely over sensitive wind warning...

Ok Captain if you have a Phantom and a 2 Pro and say that I really have to take your word in!

2020-1-14
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ninogui Posted at 1-14 04:15
Ok Captain if you have a Phantom and a 2 Pro and say that I really have to take your word in!

From what Ive seen a constant wind isn't too bad, its when it gusts there are issues.   Of course that's still within the spec of its max wind speed.
2020-1-14
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ninogui Posted at 1-14 04:11
I get it

Too much unleashed potential then ? lolol

The Japan model is the same just with a small battery.  
2020-1-14
Use props
ninogui

Portugal

DAFlys Posted at 1-14 05:30
The Japan model is the same just with a small battery.

Yes I know, it was a joke lol
2020-1-14
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. Thank you for reaching to DJI Forum and thank you for your informative insights. With regards to the propeller of the DJI Mavic Mini, the design of the said propeller was made and tested to be compatible and reliable during flights and to work properly for the DJI Mavic Mini. In addition, I will forward this suggestion/thread to our designated DJI department for further evaluation. Thank you.
2020-1-14
Use props
ninogui

Portugal

DJI Paladin Posted at 1-14 09:51
Hi. Thank you for reaching to DJI Forum and thank you for your informative insights. With regards to the propeller of the DJI Mavic Mini, the design of the said propeller was made and tested to be compatible and reliable during flights and to work properly for the DJI Mavic Mini. In addition, I will forward this suggestion/thread to our designated DJI department for further evaluation. Thank you.

Great, good to know you have open ears for reasonable suggestions.
My old dynamics teacher used to say "when in doubt look at the birds, there will be your answer" lol
Glad to help.
2020-1-14
Use props
Bright Spark
First Officer
Flight distance : 22129 ft
United Kingdom

What a waste of time.
2020-1-14
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

ninogui Posted at 1-14 09:59
My old dynamics teacher used to say "when in doubt look at the birds, there will be your answer" lol
Glad to help.

You are very much welcome and thank you for the additional information. Rest assured that DJI is doing it's best to test all featured request for us to be able to create great consumer drone. Again thank you for your support and fly safe always.
2020-1-14
Use props
Visual Air
Captain
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Honestly I think we are expecting too much out of a 249g drone. Having different pitch props may help fight your way back to home but its like a feather out there.
2020-1-14
Use props
RickyinCO
Second Officer
Flight distance : 568340 ft
  • >>>
United States

Quite honestly I like the little mini. I have flown in 10mph winds with gusts to 20mph and no problem. We just need to accept it for what it is. My cellphone is bigger and the folded mini and it doesn't weigh 9 oz. It is not the drone to send out a mile or up high when the winds are fairly noticeable. Personally I keep mine on a short leash especially if it is windy. I was planning to go fly today but when I saw the gusts up to 35 mph, I stayed home. Another day.
2020-1-14
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
Poland

"come up with a higher slant angle propeller design for improved thrust even at fueling cost - let´s say 15 mins flight time ?"

Imagine DJI could do so to a limited degree.  But at a cost to flying time, as a result of battery draining quicker.  The motors would have to be capable of handling extra power required to turn props to fight stronger winds.  Controllers for four motors would have to carry additional power flow without frying.  Wiring between battery, controllers, and motors would have similar issue with handling additional power drain of props fighting stronger winds.

2020-1-14
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

why not go back to the aviation basics 101 of mass+power-fueling drawing board and come up with a higher slant angle propeller design for improved thrust

Why not just learn how to fly the drone you have rather than asking DJI to make it into something else?
Even with the bigger, faster and more expensive DJI drones, the owner has to talke wind into account with flight planning.
If you just fly off downwind and hope to be able to power home or have RTH bring your drone back when it's up 800 ft and battling a raging headwind, you are going to lose it someday.
Better to learn the lessons from other's misfortune rather than making the same mistakes all over again.

Don't fool yourself.
I will forward this suggestion/thread to our designated DJI department for further evaluation ...
.. is just a polite way of saying:  thanks for your unrealistic suggestion, it's got no chance of ever being seen by our engineers.

2020-1-14
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 1-14 19:10
"come up with a higher slant angle propeller design for improved thrust even at fueling cost - let´s say 15 mins flight time ?"

Imagine DJI could do so to a limited degree.  But at a cost to flying time, as a result of battery draining quicker.  The motors would have to be capable of handling extra power required to turn props to fight stronger winds.  Controllers for four motors would have to carry additional power flow without frying.  Wiring between battery, controllers, and motors would have similar issue with handling additional power drain of props fighting stronger winds.

Yes, in other words, the design of the existing propellers is optimised to do the best job as it is.
2020-1-14
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ninogui Posted at 1-14 09:51
Yes I know, it was a joke lol

Doh,  I fell right into that one.
2020-1-15
Use props
marktottymy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 91860 ft
United States

DAFlys Posted at 1-15 01:15
Doh,  I fell right into that one.

Has anyone tried the after market CF props ?
2020-1-15
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
Captain
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

marktottymy Posted at 1-15 03:32

I have tried aftermarket props on other drones, not the mini but in my opinion they are a waste of money. If any performance is gained, it’s not noticeable...
2020-1-15
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

marktottymy Posted at 1-15 03:32

I stear well clear of after market props,  Im too paranoid to use them.
2020-1-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules