Spotlight mode
10969 39 2020-1-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PPietola
lvl.1
Flight distance : 101864 ft
Finland

DJI not probably releasing full active track mode for mini, but I would like to see atleast Spotlight mode.
In Spotlight mode drone keeps selected object in the middle of the screen even if object is moving. Drone itself doesn't move automatically only yaw's and tilts gimbal automatically. You can also move drone drone by yourself and it still keeps selected object in the middle. Because drone isn't moving automatically sensors aren't needed.

That would be enough in my opininion, what do you think?

2020-1-14
Use props
davidms
lvl.4
Flight distance : 428186 ft
Canada

I’d rather have active tracking and I believe the mini has the capability, it just needs to be implemented in software.
2020-1-14
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

Good idea, since it wouldn't crash with anything, but also active track would be great.
2020-1-14
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

+1 for a great idea.
2020-1-14
Use props
Debugger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4865846 ft
  • >>>
Greece

davidms Posted at 1-14 04:54
I’d rather have active tracking and I believe the mini has the capability, it just needs to be implemented in software.

I don't think that MM will ever have active track since it has no front sensors for obstacle avoidance.
Maybe in MM v.2
2020-1-14
Use props
TDZHDTV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2068550 ft
United Kingdom

Just give us the spark features, after all the Spark has been replaced by the Mini
2020-1-14
Use props
spanzetta
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1124738 ft
Italy

TDZHDTV Posted at 1-14 06:23
Just give us the spark features, after all the Spark has been replaced by the Mini

maybe is not clear to many of you that adding Active Track to a drone without any Obstacle Sensing system (like Spark) is too risky for DJI as it will expose them to a lot of potential claims... so I don't expect it will ever come.. (my guess)

The proposed "spotlight" mode is instead something with almost no risks.. so it could be more feasible..
2020-1-14
Use props
fificap
lvl.2
Flight distance : 55531 ft
France

Hi,

I do not understand why there will be more risky for DJI with active tracks than with the quickshot modes already available without obstacle avoidance system!
2020-1-14
Use props
spanzetta
lvl.4
Italy

fificap Posted at 1-14 07:32
Hi,

I do not understand why there will be more risky for DJI with active tracks than with the quickshot modes already available without obstacle avoidance system!

more probability of  crash.. quickshot is in a specific environment (stable) so it's up to the user to check it.. if you go trough long path the chance to hit some obstacle are much higher
2020-1-14
Use props
virtual
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

I like the idea of Spotlight mode, would be nice to have it in MM  
2020-1-14
Use props
Ingo Sundowner
lvl.4
Flight distance : 914012 ft
United Kingdom

I like this spotlight mode idea!!
2020-1-14
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. Thank you for reaching out to DJI Forum. With regards to this inquiry. The said feature is not available due to the DJI Mavic Mini requires obstacle avoidance sensors to ensure the safety of the said drone. Thank you.
2020-1-14
Use props
jonny007
lvl.4
Germany

DJI Paladin Posted at 1-14 09:30
Hi. Thank you for reaching out to DJI Forum. With regards to this inquiry. The said feature is not available due to the DJI Mavic Mini requires obstacle avoidance sensors to ensure the safety of the said drone. Thank you.

Misunderstood or was it a mailrobot ;-) In these described possible mode the mini stays at a certain point in the air and only yaws and moves the gimbal.
2020-1-14
Use props
PPietola
lvl.1
Flight distance : 101864 ft
Finland

That doesn't need sensors. It only hovers on place or is flown by users. It doesn't differ from normal flying as only gimbal and yaw is handled automatically.
2020-1-14
Use props
TDZHDTV
lvl.4
United Kingdom

spanzetta Posted at 1-14 07:39
more probability of  crash.. quickshot is in a specific environment (stable) so it's up to the user to check it.. if you go trough long path the chance to hit some obstacle are much higher

I had a Mavic Air and in Profile Mode (active track) you could fly side on into an obstacle, so I’ll have to disagree with you
2020-1-14
Use props
TDZHDTV
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Oh again thanks to everybody talking the Mini down, this is why we’ll never see any decent updates in the future
2020-1-14
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

TDZHDTV Posted at 1-14 10:52
Oh again thanks to everybody talking the Mini down, this is why we’ll never see any decent updates in the future

Hi. Thank you for sharing this information and sharing your insights with regards to this topic. Rest assured that DJI is doing it's best to create better firmware for the said drone in the future. Again thank you for your valued support and your kind understanding.
2020-1-14
Use props
spanzetta
lvl.4
Italy

TDZHDTV Posted at 1-14 10:52

being realistic doesn't mean to take Mini down.. but you can have (like anyone) your own - different - mindset...
2020-1-15
Use props
spanzetta
lvl.4
Italy

TDZHDTV Posted at 1-14 10:50
I had a Mavic Air and in Profile Mode (active track) you could fly side on into an obstacle, so I’ll have to disagree with you

Mavic Air has "obsacle avoid system" while Mini doesn't
2020-1-19
Use props
TDZHDTV
lvl.4
United Kingdom

spanzetta Posted at 1-19 01:15
Mavic Air has "obsacle avoid system" while Mini doesn't

No flying sideways
2020-1-19
Use props
TDLBBB
lvl.1

United States

I would buy the mavic mini if it had a "spotlight" mode as described at the top of the posts - I would only need the drone to hover and track a subject my turning in place (yaw) and/or adjusting the gimble pitch.  The collision risk for this is zero because the drone is fixed in space.  As a bonus being able to actively drive the drone while under direct visual guidance with drone keeping the subject being in frame would be a bonus and would also seen to pose a risk of collision not different than any active flight, perhaps less because the operator could focus less on keeping the subject in frame and more on where the drone is going.  My 2 cents.  I sure hope DJI dose this!
2020-3-10
Use props
dji_MODDER
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

If you take an object in active track and start recording, don"t hit the go button.
when the object is moving the mini stays in place but follows the object with the camera.
You have a kind of spotlight mode.
cheers
Jos
2020-3-10
Use props
120ccpm
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1396755 ft
United States

dji_MODDER Posted at 3-10 10:28
If you take an object in active track and start recording, don"t hit the go button.
when the object is moving the mini stays in place but follows the object with the camera.
You have a kind of spotlight mode.

MM has no Active Track, are you talking about QuickShots?
2020-3-10
Use props
dji_MODDER
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

yes, i am talking about that , here is also an example , but If you don't hit start you get a sort of spotlight mode

2020-3-10
Use props
Tandemist
lvl.3
Flight distance : 343084 ft
United States

Count me in
2020-4-28
Use props
Ingo Sundowner
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Just buy that MA2 if you need spotlight so badly?
2020-4-28
Use props
djiuser_RLC6FY3qeRbg
New
Flight distance : 283373 ft
Brazil

Spotlight would be AWESOME ...
Hope dji grant our with

SPOTLIGHT PLEEEEASE
2020-5-1
Use props
djiuser_RLC6FY3qeRbg
New
Flight distance : 283373 ft
Brazil

Ingo Sundowner Posted at 4-28 11:51
Just buy that MA2 if you need spotlight so badly?

Man...  I already bougth mini ... dont want to pay 799 more ...
SPOTLIGHT is simple... does not need much hardware... only software
2020-5-1
Use props
djiuser_NwgF8UAjetxy
New

Norway

spanzetta Posted at 1-14 06:54
maybe is not clear to many of you that adding Active Track to a drone without any Obstacle Sensing system (like Spark) is too risky for DJI as it will expose them to a lot of potential claims... so I don't expect it will ever come.. (my guess)

The proposed "spotlight" mode is instead something with almost no risks.. so it could be more feasible..

There is no way you can have a valid claim for crashing if you fly your drone into an obstacle. Either so if you would use any active tracking. With your logic they should terminate the support for RTH as that has big potential for crashing into obstacles.
You may counter that with a statement that you could put settings in to avoid obstacles on the RTH by having RTH set to high enough altitude. But then again, so could you do on an active track.
By putting a warning when activating active track that there is a high risk of crash if flying below highest altitude of obstacles around DJI should be safe from any claims.
2020-8-29
Use props
djiuser_NwgF8UAjetxy
New

Norway

Then I expect you will remove RTH soon as it does fly into obstacles if not set high enough. Or maybe set a mandatory minimum of 500 feet for RTH.
Pilots are responsible for they choices. If active tracking was available on the MM you could easily warn the pilot of the risk when they choose the option. Maybe demand setting of a minimum altitude during the tracking session.
2020-8-29
Use props
itchyeyeballs
lvl.4
United Kingdom

djiuser_NwgF8UAjetxy Posted at 8-29 02:49
Then I expect you will remove RTH soon as it does fly into obstacles if not set high enough. Or maybe set a mandatory minimum of 500 feet for RTH.
Pilots are responsible for they choices. If active tracking was available on the MM you could easily warn the pilot of the risk when they choose the option. Maybe demand setting of a minimum altitude during the tracking session.

The beta Litchi app supports tracking, acts just like spotlight mode and works really well.
2020-8-29
Use props
VanzPix
lvl.4
Flight distance : 229672 ft
France

It would be cool, but do not dream I even think that the future updates will be minor and that we have to wait much longer from the mini.
Flying in peace
2020-8-29
Use props
TDLBBB
lvl.1

United States

I see the mini 2 will track the subject in quickshot mode After selecting the subject but before starting the quickshot Sequence.  Here’s my question - can it record video in quickshot mode before the sequence is active?  If so, this would be near equivalent to spotlight mode with the exception that you may or may not be able to move the drone around while tracking.  Anyone try this?
2020-12-9
Use props
jonny007
lvl.4
Germany

With a screen recorder. ;-) I haven't tried it but the way you think it won't work. To start the quickshot mode (even without executing it) the video mode must be closed.
2020-12-9
Use props
Ingo Sundowner
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Litchi has Now AT, focus (like spotlight) and Follow me as well as pano
2020-12-10
Use props
djiuser_cFY3sAbtrCpN
lvl.1
Flight distance : 458934 ft
Australia

Debugger Posted at 2020-1-14 05:45
I don't think that MM will ever have active track since it has no front sensors for obstacle avoidance.
Maybe in MM v.2

Fyi...no sensor is just a nice business excuse...

..with quick shots you can easily hit a three, building, pole... Plus front sensors for some quick shots won't even help.. as drone is going backwards.. Or sideways...

2021-3-12
Use props
djiuser_cFY3sAbtrCpN
lvl.1
Flight distance : 458934 ft
Australia

Guys, let's just hit the like button, write more comments... If we are many enough . They will consider to release some better tracking on the MM and MM2...

JUST A REMINDER...

WE ARE THE CUSTOMERS!!

Some other companies put CUSTOMERS FIRST..  

DJI, you???
2021-3-12
Use props
Carnifexe
lvl.1
Flight distance : 39715 ft
Germany

Still no spotlight modus for the Mini 2 aka. near 600€ FMC drone without any nice things a 300€ Drone could had ?
Come on dji just the spotlight modus for the mini 2 please, get your community!
2021-9-17
Use props
djiuser_cbt0A9pc8wGa
New
Flight distance : 149888 ft
Ukraine

Spotlight could really increase a safety of flights, because user will think less about keeping object it the middle of a frame and just looking and piloting the drone.
Also it will increase the demand on mini and mini2.

VOTE FOR FW UPGRADE FOR MINI!

Mini is the coolest drone, because you can go with it to another country for a vacation.

DJI, stay the cool and awesome company, do good things for your fans!
2021-11-14
Use props
TrackMasters
New

United States

Has there been any progress or updates for the mini 2 and spotlight. Sorry if this been covered before , what dji drones support spotlight.
2022-1-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules