Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RGMGFitness
Second Officer
Flight distance : 233757 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi Guys,

Recently I crashed my quad and a small piece of the DJI Air Units antenna (ie. MMCX Antenna Port) broke off inside of the Air Unit.  It's a really small piece and hard to get a grip on with tweezers.  Anyone ever run into this and find a fix.  Trying to not buy an entirely new Air Unit if I don't have to.

It's the MMCX Antenna Port on the RIGHT Side that has the piece broke off in it.  I also included pictures below from the antenna's below so you can see the piece that actually snapped off during the impact of the crash.  Any thoughts???

image0.jpeg

Thanks in Advance,
Ron

image1.jpeg
2020-1-14
Use props
RGMGFitness
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

You can see the antenna on the LEFT is the one that snapped off inside the Air Unit.  

2020-1-14
Use props
djiuser_svTsi9rtdUUm
lvl.3

Austria

With a  hot airgun its quite easy to solder a new mmcx plug to it. I did that myself and it works perfectly

Something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/female-straight-coaxial-adapter-connector/dp/B00WQ4O37O
2020-1-14
Use props
RGMGFitness
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_svTsi9rtdUUm Posted at 1-14 07:12
With a  hot airgun its quite easy to solder a new mmcx plug to it. I did that myself and it works perfectly

Something like this:
Hmm...not sure if that will resolve me issue.  I still have a piece of the MMCX connector stuck inside the Air Unit.  Also, it's a very tight fit because the back of the MMCX connectors butt up against the posts of my FPV frame.  Its a Rotor Riot HD1 build.  

Ideally, I'd like to remove the piece stuck inside the Air Unit.  I appreciate the input though...maybe I'm not following exactly either.  

2020-1-14
Use props
RGMGFitness
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Found this video.  I might be able to open up the Air Unit and replace those MMCX connectors.  I'm assuming their a standard size but will know more once I open it up.

2020-1-14
Use props
RGMGFitness
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

We'll, I've got DJI Support looking into seeing if they can get me a replacement 'MMCX Female' connector instead of shipping the entire DJI FPV Air Unit for repair..crossing my fingers.  I called around to a few hobby shops and you can't buy these MMCX Female connectors specific to the DJI FPV Air Unit.  These are very small and made specifically for the Air Unit.  But, if anyone knows otherwise...please let me know!

DJI FPV Air Unit OPENED UP (A Look Inside)
Air Unt.jpg
2020-1-14
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Ron. I am sorry the trouble and thank you for reaching out. Since this unfortunate issue happened. Kindly please contact out DJI Support Team for further assistance at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav. We would do their best to fix the said issue and then the corresponding resolution would be provided. Again I am sorry for the trouble and thank you for your understanding.
2020-1-14
Use props
RGMGFitness
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Pulled apart the DJI Air Unit and was able to remove the faulty MMCX Female Connector.  Felt like it was secured pretty well to board.  Can anyone confirm if this is just a solder connection to board?  Here's a picture from the Air Unit I'm working on....

p.s.  I did reach out to DJI Support and their looking into weather or not they even carry MMCX connectors for replacement.  Waiting to hear back.

2020-1-14
Use props
RGMGFitness
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

RGMGFitness Posted at 1-14 18:09
Pulled apart the DJI Air Unit and was able to remove the faulty MMCX Female Connector.  Felt like it was secured pretty well to board.  Can anyone confirm if this is just a solder connection to board?  Here's a picture from the Air Unit I'm working on....

p.s.  I did reach out to DJI Support and their looking into weather or not they even carry MMCX connectors for replacement.  Waiting to hear back.

After some more troubleshooting.  It appears these MMCX Female connectors are not just soldered onto the board.   They appear to have been solder dipped.  It doesn't seem possible to replace just the MMCX Female Connectors at this time.  

When you attempt to remove them you'll also take with it some of the metal on the board which is your main lead (center pin) to the board and antenna (when plugged in).  So, at this point it appears I'll need a new DJI FPV Air Unit.  

Fortunately, you can purchase just the Air Unit (without Camera attached) which can save you a few $$.  
2020-1-16
Use props
djiuser_svTsi9rtdUUm
lvl.3

Austria

RGMGFitness Posted at 1-14 08:07
Hmm...not sure if that will resolve me issue.  I still have a piece of the MMCX connector stuck inside the Air Unit.  Also, it's a very tight fit because the back of the MMCX connectors butt up against the posts of my FPV frame.  Its a Rotor Riot HD1 build.  

sure it does. i replaced this broken one
2020-1-16
Use props
djiuser_svTsi9rtdUUm
lvl.3

Austria

RGMGFitness Posted at 1-14 18:09
Pulled apart the DJI Air Unit and was able to remove the faulty MMCX Female Connector.  Felt like it was secured pretty well to board.  Can anyone confirm if this is just a solder connection to board?  Here's a picture from the Air Unit I'm working on....

have to cut it out? you should have done it with a reworkstation. you just destroyed the traces xD
2020-1-16
Use props
RGMGFitness
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_svTsi9rtdUUm Posted at 1-16 08:50
have to cut it out? you should have done it with a reworkstation. you just destroyed the traces xD

Is there a video or a post anywhere that walks me through how to do that.  Because I couldn't figure out how to remove the MMCX Female Connector from the Air Unit without destroying the board?

Even took it to a FPV shop and the guy couldn't do it?  Sorry, I'm new to working on these types of components.  Any additional information you can point me too is appreciated.....
2020-1-16
Use props
djiuser_svTsi9rtdUUm
lvl.3

Austria

RGMGFitness Posted at 1-16 08:55
Is there a video or a post anywhere that walks me through how to do that.  Because I couldn't figure out how to remove the MMCX Female Connector from the Air Unit without destroying the board?

Even took it to a FPV shop and the guy couldn't do it?  Sorry, I'm new to working on these types of components.  Any additional information you can point me too is appreciated.....

it was quite easy. It needs a lot of heat. with 450 C on my reworksstation. Without it its impossible
2020-1-16
Use props
djiuser_svTsi9rtdUUm
lvl.3

Austria

157921543600926750492.jpg
IMG-20191025-WA0080.jpeg
IMG-20191026-WA0005.jpeg
2020-1-16
Use props
djiuser_svTsi9rtdUUm
lvl.3

Austria

I also added additional solder to keep it in place
2020-1-16
Use props
djiuser_svTsi9rtdUUm
lvl.3

Austria

You ripped the antenna trace put you could try to Work on IT with a knife , this requires a Lot of Skill to get IT to Work again, but IT could be done.
2020-1-16
Use props
RGMGFitness
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_svTsi9rtdUUm Posted at 1-16 15:09
You ripped the antenna trace put you could try to Work on IT with a knife , this requires a Lot of Skill to get IT to Work again, but IT could be done.

Thanks for the pics and additional information.  It's appreciated...Yeah, with ripping out the trace I think that's a bit above my skill set at this time..but I do appreciate it.   
2020-1-19
Use props
fansf1a3923d
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1650548 ft
United States

djiuser_svTsi9rtdUUm Posted at 1-16 15:02
[Image]

Can you explain how you did this? I’m trying to heat up and replace females mmcx but not sure how
2020-4-11
Use props
SpaceCow
lvl.1
United States

It's hard too tell the state of your air unit from the pictures. Your connectors are slightly out of focus. From what you wrote a small piece of the antenna connector is stuck inside the air unit's female connector.

I used to work at a phone repair store. A similar situation would happen with iPhones all the time. The headphone would break off inside the headphone jack of the phone. We couldn't get the broken piece out with tweezers like you are saying as well. Our solution was this. The headphone connection that would break off would leave two pieces inside. One was the metal connection. The second piece was the plastic insolation. We would take a sharp screwdriver or a sewing pin. Something sharp and very small but strong. Stab it into the broken off plastic. Then pull out at a very slight angle. This would create a griping force in the plastic part that was stick inside. and it would all come out.

Again not sure if that is useful information or not as your photo is out of focus on the connector itself so I cant see if there is any plastic insulation to grip on to. but I figured it's worth leaving the idea for you.
2020-4-13
Use props
djiuser_svTsi9rtdUUm
lvl.3

United States

fansf1a3923d Posted at 4-11 16:14
Can you explain how you did this? I’m trying to heat up and replace females mmcx but not sure how

you need a pair of tweezer hold the old broken connector. Than heat it up till it get loose by it self. It will get loose quit easy.
2020-4-13
Use props
RGMGFitness
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for all the feedback guys.  In short, I ended up buying a new Air Unit.   Some of the other tips were just a little to far above my skill set and I ruined the 'traces' earlier on trying to cut out the MMCX Female connector.  Perhaps my soldering gun just wasn't hot enough but the old connector just wouldn't come off when heat was applied.  
2020-4-15
Use props
pt0x
lvl.1

Netherlands

I have the exact same problem. Can anyone post a place where you can buy these mmcx connectors? I will reach out to support first but just to be prepared. I will be able to fix this with a rework station probably.
Im in Europe, so preferably not a US store. that would cost me € 50 in shipping
2020-4-19
Use props
pt0x
lvl.1

Netherlands

pt0x Posted at 4-19 14:04
I have the exact same problem. Can anyone post a place where you can buy these mmcx connectors? I will reach out to support first but just to be prepared. I will be able to fix this with a rework station probably.
Im in Europe, so preferably not a US store. that would cost me € 50 in shipping

Nevermind, found it.

For the european fixers

https://nl.rs-online.com/web/p/mmcx-connectors/7595306/
2020-4-19
Use props
SmooveG
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3556 ft
Netherlands

I have like four air units and experienced this issue as well.
Two times the front piece of the antenna connector remained in the socket of the air unit.
I managed to get one out of the socket using vibration. Put my quad on a hard surface and raised the throttle but not enough to take off, and the two remaining parts fell out. (gold ring and gold tube).
I did this because I know these connectors sometimes come loose in case of a crash, specially when you have the antennas mounted upright
This because the top lid of the air unit has a lip that presses against the antenna when your trying to secure it.
The second one, still have to figure out the best way to get it out without damaging the air unit.
MMCX would not have been my choice of connector for the air unit. They come loose and they break.
2020-6-9
Use props
mc54
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1030 ft

United States

The MMCX connector design is the worst shortcoming of the entire DJI system (in my opinion).  The worst failures I have had have come directly from loose connectors, and it is something that I am always thinking about when flying, especially if I am getting a inconsistent signal.  I wish there was a less failure-prone method of antenna attachment.
2020-6-9
Use props
djiuser_ByPGFFvmI458
New

United States

I used a 1/8" drill bit, insert it just above the center post so not to damage it.  put a bind on the bit to where the side cuts into the broken off piece and pull out gently to not overcome the drillbits bite on the broken connector.  

It will slip a few times but with persistence I was able to get mine out without damage to the Air Unit.
2020-6-9
Use props
RGMGFitness
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

mc54 Posted at 6-9 07:57
The MMCX connector design is the worst shortcoming of the entire DJI system (in my opinion).  The worst failures I have had have come directly from loose connectors, and it is something that I am always thinking about when flying, especially if I am getting a inconsistent signal.  I wish there was a less failure-prone method of antenna attachment.

Yeah, seems like the design here needs some work.  
2020-6-9
Use props
RGMGFitness
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_ByPGFFvmI458 Posted at 6-9 07:59
I used a 1/8" drill bit, insert it just above the center post so not to damage it.  put a bind on the bit to where the side cuts into the broken off piece and pull out gently to not overcome the drillbits bite on the broken connector.  

It will slip a few times but with persistence I was able to get mine out without damage to the Air Unit.

Nice!  Hadn't thought of that one...I'll keep that in the back of my mind in case I run into again.    Clearly, I'm not the only one who's had this issue.  
2020-6-9
Use props
djiuser_NI8Gidmw3drK
lvl.1

United States

I have the same issue, only I havent even had the chance to fly yet.  The connection is so fragile that it breaks of extremely easily and usually cannot be fixed without replacing the entire air unit.
2020-7-24
Use props
RGMGFitness
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_NI8Gidmw3drK Posted at 7-24 22:35
I have the same issue, only I havent even had the chance to fly yet.  The connection is so fragile that it breaks of extremely easily and usually cannot be fixed without replacing the entire air unit.

Yeah, from what I've been seeing in the comments. It's a pretty common problem.  Hopefully, they can make these connections more durable.  
2020-7-28
Use props
SmooveG
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3556 ft
Netherlands

djiuser_ByPGFFvmI458 Posted at 6-9 07:59
I used a 1/8" drill bit, insert it just above the center post so not to damage it.  put a bind on the bit to where the side cuts into the broken off piece and pull out gently to not overcome the drillbits bite on the broken connector.  

Thanks, this will go to the second option on my list of removing broken-off parts out of mmcx connectors.

For my second connector I already used the rework station to fix the Air Unit.
Was surprised how much heat it took just to get the solder to melt, had to set the dial almost to the maximum to get the job done. About 450 C.
But glad that it worked.
2020-8-13
Use props
Ruhr
lvl.2

Germany

i´ve had the same problem. I got it out with a flat srew driver without bending the connector pin.
2020-8-22
Use props
djiuser_lQfIy2XQC8tm
lvl.2
Flight distance : 305233 ft
United Kingdom

I had this same issue recently contacted dji support they said no problem will fix it for you great! - sent it away, and they sent a quote back for £160!!! to fix it... absolut idiots, unit was well less than a year old, they didn't even say a fix would cost me... made them send it me back un-fixed... really not happy with them - got it back, tok the unit apart and lucky I did, they had left the ribbon cable unattached in it? I mean what>?????? really, unbelievable reallt really not happy with them.
2020-9-7
Use props
RGMGFitness
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_lQfIy2XQC8tm Posted at 9-7 13:30
I had this same issue recently contacted dji support they said no problem will fix it for you great! - sent it away, and they sent a quote back for £160!!! to fix it... absolut idiots, unit was well less than a year old, they didn't even say a fix would cost me... made them send it me back un-fixed... really not happy with them - got it back, tok the unit apart and lucky I did, they had left the ribbon cable unattached in it? I mean what>?????? really, unbelievable reallt really not happy with them.

Yeah, I'm hoping they improve the way it's connected.  Seems like a weak point in air unit.
2020-9-7
Use props
platty
lvl.1

United States

Just popping in to say this has happened to me TWICE now. The first time I nicked the pin trying to weasel out the leftover bit, so I'm trying to be extra careful this time around. I'll try the drill-bit suggestion.

I've never used a re-work station, but I'll have to check them out. I've seen some of the stuff used in repair videos online, but the process is foreign to me.

Has anyone else switched to the caddx vista? The thought has crossed my mind.
2021-2-24
Use props
RGMGFitness
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

platty Posted at 2-24 19:05
Just popping in to say this has happened to me TWICE now. The first time I nicked the pin trying to weasel out the leftover bit, so I'm trying to be extra careful this time around. I'll try the drill-bit suggestion.

I've never used a re-work station, but I'll have to check them out. I've seen some of the stuff used in repair videos online, but the process is foreign to me.

One of my quads uses the Caddx vista system and works just fine.  Gets a little hot but no complaints to date.  Only real downside is you can't record your video within the Caddx system as it doesn't have the micro-SD card.
2021-2-27
Use props
Dragon CAD
lvl.2
Flight distance : 194426 ft
France

I, i just had the same issue right now, i just received my air unit, and, i t just broke up insiide my 3D printed ! i ve bought it because i ve broken 2 other one the same day. Nice serial !! i ve tryed to solder it to a cable to take it of...it seems it was  it was a bad idea
2021-2-27
Use props
Dragon CAD
lvl.2
France

if somebody can give me a link to buy this connector ... thanks you very much
2021-2-27
Use props
Dragon CAD
lvl.2
France

Dragon CAD Posted at 2-27 13:22
if somebody can give me a link to buy this connector ... thanks you very much

My solution, cause i guess i wont have any waranty on this
i ve unsoldered the conneter, i soldered directly a broken antena, i ll tell if it works
2021-2-27
Use props
djiuser_XLBKPENUJjf4
New

United States

I had this same issue. What I did was use the small screw that is for an fpv camera and carefully screwed it into the broken piece. I was able to then pull the screw and broken connector piece out with a pair of pliers.
2021-3-20
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules