Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Batteries not charging fully
8510 18 2020-1-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Scottyyy10
lvl.1

Australia

I have 2 new Mavic 2 Pro batteries that I havnt repeatedly charged to 100%, to the point where the LED goes off and they stop charging. However whenever i then put them on the drone, the show that battery life is only 59%. Any suggestions?
2020-1-14
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Are they hot when they come of the charger ?

Was there any reason why you haven't charged them to 100% in the past ?

2020-1-14
Use props
Scottyyy10
lvl.1

Australia

lannes Posted at 1-14 21:37
Are they hot when they come of the charger ?

Unsure.. I normally just put them on charge at the end of the day and let them go overnight
2020-1-14
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Scottyyy10 Posted at 1-14 21:39
Unsure.. I normally just put them on charge at the end of the day and let them go overnight

So the lights do go out , it's just that the batteries don't have a full charge when the process is finished ?

Your initial post was a bit confusing with the "haven't" in it.
2020-1-14
Use props
Scottyyy10
lvl.1

Australia

lannes Posted at 1-14 21:41
So the lights do go out , it's just that the batteries don't have a full charge when the process is finished ?

Your initial post was a bit confusing with the "haven't" in it.

Apologies, I meant 'have' charged repeatedly.

Yeah thats correct. I just assumed they would be fully charged and didn't realise they weren't until out on location. I have also tried 2 different chargers
2020-1-14
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Scottyyy10 Posted at 1-14 21:44
Apologies, I meant 'have' charged repeatedly.

Yeah thats correct. I just assumed they would be fully charged and didn't realise they weren't until out on location. I have also tried 2 different chargers

How many charges on each battery roughly ?
Do the both show the same charged capacity ?
Has the reduced capacity happened recently or has it been going on for a while ?

You could try a discharge / recharge cycle to reset the battery's smart circuitry

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/battery_calibration

2020-1-14
Use props
Scottyyy10
lvl.1

Australia

lannes Posted at 1-14 21:46
How many charges on each battery roughly ?

Has the reduced capacity happened recently or has it been going on for a while

less than 15. I have only had them for a couple of months. Started off ok then now 59%
2020-1-14
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Scottyyy10 Posted at 1-14 21:48
less than 15. I have only had them for a couple of months. Started off ok then now 59%

Have you been using a third party charger and fast charging them ?
2020-1-14
Use props
Scottyyy10
lvl.1

Australia

lannes Posted at 1-14 21:53
Have you been using a third party and fast charging them ?

Ive been using either the charger than comes with the drone, or a 3rd party charger thats not a fast charger, but a parallel one
2020-1-14
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Scottyyy10 Posted at 1-14 21:56
Ive been using either the charger than comes with the drone, or a 3rd party charger thats not a fast charger, but a parallel one

I'd try the reset/ calibration process then and obviously wait for the battery to cool down before recharging.
2020-1-14
Use props
Scottyyy10
lvl.1

Australia

lannes Posted at 1-14 22:00
I'd try the reset/ calibration process then and obviously wait for the battery to cool down before recharging.

Can you elaborate slightly? (sorry) Not quite sure what you mean by that
2020-1-14
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Scottyyy10 Posted at 1-14 22:07
Can you elaborate slightly? (sorry) Not quite sure what you mean by that

This article talks about discharging and recharging the batteries to reset the smart battery circuitry.

You'll need to discharge the battery, I guess by flying to 10% and then recharge it back up to 100% when it cools down
2020-1-15
Use props
Scottyyy10
lvl.1

Australia

lannes Posted at 1-15 00:02
This article talks about discharging and recharging the batteries to reset the smart battery circuitry.

Thank you very much for your help!
2020-1-15
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thank you for reaching out and we do apologize for the inconvenience. The advice of our fellow member lannes is correct, you can try to discharge the battery until it goes to 0% then recharge it again to see if the problem persists. For you to discharge the battery, you can place the battery on the drone and let the drone turned on until it got drain. Please keep us posted on the said issue for us to help you further. Thank you for your kind and understanding.
2020-1-15
Use props
djiuser_xIfaFjR1S8od
New

Canada

I've discharged and recharged the battery many times. It fixes the issue but only temporarily. I have to repeatedly keep doing this. Is this normal?
2021-8-18
Use props
Tony Zambito
New

United States

I am experiencing the exact same issue with my Mavic Air 2 batteries, which I received in December 2021 (6 months ago) with the DJI charger in the Fly More kit .

The batteries stop charging at about 60% charge. It happened again yesterday… I removed and then replaced them onto the charger and two of the three batteries charged fully. I’m now recharging the last battery again and seems to be charging. I’ve only used & recharged the batteries about a 8-10 times in total so I can’t imagine any appreciable degradation of the cells.

I don’t always discharge them down to/past 20%… is it recommended that I discharge them fully each time??

Thanks!
2022-6-21
Use props
Scottyyy10
lvl.1

Australia

So I actually realised this was my fault.. What I didn't specify was that there may have been a day or 2 between charging and using on some occasions. So what was actually happening is the 'smart battery' was draining itself to around 59% after 24 hours to enter storage mode and prolong the life of the battery

You can change how quickly the battery does this in the setting when the drone is on.
2022-6-21
Use props
Evangeline
lvl.3

United States

Scottyyy10 Posted at 6-21 03:06
So I actually realised this was my fault.. What I didn't specify was that there may have been a day or 2 between charging and using on some occasions. So what was actually happening is the 'smart battery' was draining itself to around 59% after 24 hours to enter storage mode and prolong the life of the battery

You can change how quickly the battery does this in the setting when the drone is on.

>You can change how quickly the battery does this in the setting when the drone is on.
I just bought a Mavic 2 Pro, how do you change the "smart" battery discharge time setting?
2022-6-21
Use props
Scottyyy10
lvl.1

Australia

I believe when you have the drone on and connected you your phone/remote, you should be able to go into the settings of the drone and find it under the battery tab
2022-6-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules