11589 41 2020-1-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
deathsquad
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I have the latest app as of yesterday. All firmware updates on drone through the app, everything is up to date. I have an iPhone XS. I fly with  data on not airplane mode. I kept getting this gps error “Check GPS settings or calibrate mobile device compass” at the bottom of the screen in red intermittently while flying this afternoon. It scares me because I am over water a few hundred metres away. I have the antenna on the controller flat to where the drone is as per instructions. I have had the error before, quickly opened the compass app on the iPhone and it fixes it but what the hell why is it happening to me? I have attached an image of what the warning is. The drone still responds on the controller fine. I don’t understand why it keeps happening. I have had this error since I got the drone. Not all the time but from time to time it happens. I have 14 satellites, in a beach area away from interference. The compass at the bottom screen is often weird also. Like not really pointing where the drone is. I saw. Lot of other people with that issue but I also get this red error issue that I have attached an image of.

This afternoon I was also getting “aircraft in altitude zone 150m fly with caution”. Is this some new warning with the new update? What does it mean? I wasn’t high up or flying at a high altitude. I was actually low down at the bottom of a high area near a beach.

Any help appreciated!
C1BB898E-82ED-426B-B3C5-FD454FA2DF2F.jpeg
2020-1-14
Use props
deathsquad
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

I should also mention I do calibrate compass on the drone before every flight.
2020-1-14
Use props
trepacho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 927621 ft
Bulgaria

I calibrate the compass on my Samsung Note 9 phone but when I put it in the MM remote and the compass crashes and needs to be calibrated again!  I use the latest Firm 0.4!  The orientation of my phone always turns red!  No problem with firm 0.3!
2020-1-14
Use props
themich0r
lvl.3
Flight distance : 62526 ft
Germany

I have exactly the same problem with my iPhone XS with airplane mode on (1.0.4). Couldn't test it with 1.0.6 app version so far.
2020-1-15
Use props
deathsquad
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

themich0r Posted at 1-15 00:25
I have exactly the same problem with my iPhone XS with airplane mode on (1.0.4). Couldn't test it with 1.0.6 app version so far.
Seems to be worse with the new app and update. Flew for the first time today since updating  in different locations and same issue.
2020-1-15
Use props
deathsquad
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

Someone on another forum said it could be my Apple Watch? I do usually fly in airplane mode but didn’t today after the update. Maybe that’s why it was so bad today. I normally load the app get all sats then turn on airplane mode so I have maps etc. Maybe it’s Bluetooth interference? But the guy above said it happens to him and he is in airplane mode. I don’t know what is causing it...
2020-1-15
Use props
deathsquad
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

themich0r Posted at 1-15 00:25

Do you have an Apple Watch too? I don’t put my watch on airplane mode but I had a quick fly and the error didn’t come up while both watch and phone in airplane mode. Interesting.
2020-1-15
Use props
Ice_2k
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

The app can't figure out your direction compared to the drone because it can't get proper compass data from your phone. This in no way affects the drone, it's just you not getting that little direction dial. Which, in all fairness, is almost *never* showing the correct direction (unless calibrating the compass of the phone *after* mounting it in the RC before every single flight, which I personally never do). Furthermore, that dial disappears anyway if you toggle the little map in the lower left corner, which I find much more useful (especially the blue line showing me the direction the drone needs to fly in in order to get back to me).
2020-1-15
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,

FlyApp and the GoApp uses both compasses, from drone and from mobile device.

Without a good drone compass > you cannot fly safe.
Without a good mobile device compass > no problem to fly safely but you miss some a important function....

Explanation:

Mobile device compass is used in the FlyApp to project the drone postion on the aircraft positioning indicator. Usefull when you not knowing where the drone is relative to the RC. Move around and when drone arrow is in front of the indicator drone is flying in front of you.

Without this you can check in the map view where the drone is, drone compass and gps data is used to  project drone on the map. No need for a mobile device compass.

cheers
JJB

2020-1-15
Use props
deathsquad
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

JJB* Posted at 1-15 01:18
Hi,

FlyApp and the GoApp uses both compasses, from drone and from mobile device.

So in other words it flashing red shouldn’t be a worry? It can still return to home and fly properly it just can’t show me drone location on screen.
2020-1-15
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

deathsquad Posted at 1-15 01:20
So in other words it flashing red shouldn’t be a worry? It can still return to home and fly properly it just can’t show me drone location on screen.

Yes, just test this out yourself...

Fly 300 meters away, open the map view, turn craft so that arrow is on the back to home line, fly forward and watch it fly back home...

2020-1-15
Use props
deathsquad
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

JJB* Posted at 1-15 01:25
Yes, just test this out yourself...

Fly 300 meters away, open the map view, turn craft so that arrow is on the back to home line, fly forward and watch it fly back home...

What does the “aircraft in altitude zone 150m fly with caution” mean?
2020-1-15
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

Ive had compass issues with some phones however GPS map works OK.
Would be nice to see if this will be fixed or is related to different phones...
2020-1-15
Use props
Ice_2k
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

deathsquad Posted at 1-15 01:28
What does the “aircraft in altitude zone 150m fly with caution” mean?

You're flying in an area where going above 150m altitude is not allowed (probably there's an airport close by)
2020-1-15
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused. With regards to the mobile device compass error. I would recommend to please try calibrating the compass of your mobile device and if the issue still persists please try a different compatible mobile device to isolate the issue. For the second concern, I would recommend to please check our DJI Fly Safe Geo Zone Map if you are nearby restricted area. Please keep us posted for further assistance. Thank you.
2020-1-15
Use props
deathsquad
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Paladin Posted at 1-15 09:48
Hi. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused. With regards to the mobile device compass error. I would recommend to please try calibrating the compass of your mobile device and if the issue still persists please try a different compatible mobile device to isolate the issue. For the second concern, I would recommend to please check our DJI Fly Safe Geo Zone Map if you are nearby restricted area. Please keep us posted for further assistance. Thank you.

I can't calibrate a compass on an iphone. The app is very simple nothing to really calibrate on it. Anyhow, it seems to be a bluetooth/wifi/smart watch issue. Airplane mode on both phone and watch seem to fix it. Thanks for everyone's help.
2020-1-15
Use props
deathsquad
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

Ice_2k Posted at 1-15 02:42
You're flying in an area where going above 150m altitude is not allowed (probably there's an airport close by)

This is the spot. It's weird the airspace restriction is so long as there are no planes flying overhead and on OpenSky (the Australian app to say where you can and can't fly) it doesn't have any warnings at all. We can't fly over 120m here anyway but I hadn't experienced that warning before. It is actually a really, really far distance from the airport. It's obviously the take off flight path but interesting it is so long. It does let me fly there but just gives me a warning.
2020-1-15
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

deathsquad Posted at 1-15 12:02
I can't calibrate a compass on an iphone. The app is very simple nothing to really calibrate on it. Anyhow, it seems to be a bluetooth/wifi/smart watch issue. Airplane mode on both phone and watch seem to fix it. Thanks for everyone's help.

Thank you for the update, I am happy to know that the previous trouble was resolved. If you have further concern or query. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are here to help. Thank you.
2020-1-15
Use props
TerryGrey
New

United States

Maybe by factory resetting the iPhone? I did that a few days ago to clear up the mess on my iPhone XR but I did not notice that it did reset the compass until I opened Google Maps and noticed that the blue arrow was pointing perfectly towards the direction of the the road because, few months before resetting it was pointing to the wrong direction... And this reset also applies to 3rd party compass apps; they finally showed the correct magnitude I assume it can be the same thing if you open Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. It's a trick mentioned in this post .
2020-1-16
Use props
djiuser_f6OxGiwWwKQN
New

United Kingdom

Hi if you go on settings on DJI app on phone change the location setting to always allow location
2020-2-22
Use props
TheCliffhanger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 269295 ft
Greece

has anybody found something on this? I'm still having this issue although I am on the latest version of the app....
2020-6-16
Use props
Uri
lvl.1

Israel

Hi, I have the same issue.
Drone : mavic air 2 - the latest firmware
Phone: Samsung Galaxy A70  
After I've got this message- I've made re-calibration of phone compass - but still have the same problem.Device gps error while flying

Device gps error while flying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sI7oD1ckP0
2020-6-21
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Uri Posted at 6-21 23:42

Hi,

if you read all the postings about this ; apple and samsung phones often part of this problem.

I have multiple android devices in use ; never any compass device problems (one plus and xiaomi)

I bought escpecially a dedicated device (xiaomi mi max2) for this hobby.

cheers
JJB
2020-6-21
Use props
Uri
lvl.1

Israel

JJB* Posted at 6-21 23:49
Hi,

if you read all the postings about this ; apple and samsung phones often part of this problem.

So If I understand you wright, the problem is in my phone and there are no reasons to take the drone to dji for check?
Yes?
2020-6-22
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Uri Posted at 6-22 00:03
So If I understand you wright, the problem is in my phone and there are no reasons to take the drone to dji for check?
Yes?

IMO yes.  as said, i own a MM and MA2 (all on latest FW) and have no problems with the aircraft orientation indicator in the FlyApp.

Do you have friends/family with other phones than appe and samsung?  just give it a try

cheers
JJB

2020-6-22
Use props
Uri
lvl.1

Israel

JJB* Posted at 6-22 00:06
IMO yes.  as said, i own a MM and MA2 (all on latest FW) and have no problems with the aircraft orientation indicator in the FlyApp.

Do you have friends/famuli with other phones than appe and samsung?  just give it a try

Thanks a lot.
i"ll try!
2020-6-22
Use props
mockingbirdmedia
lvl.4
Flight distance : 45459 ft
United Kingdom

I had the same issue with the compass orientation error ! rolled back the FW from 0500 to 0400 and now works fine !

i turned everything off to minimise the potential of interference and the mini flies perfectly 1 hour test with the 0400 firmware.

2020-6-22
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

mockingbirdmedia Posted at 6-22 00:39
I had the same issue with the compass orientation error ! rolled back the FW from 0500 to 0400 and now works fine !

i turned everything off to minimise the potential of interference and the mini flies perfectly 1 hour test with the 0400 firmware.

so weird all this, i am on android and on .500   works great (as did .400)

so why so many different experiences ??
2020-6-22
Use props
mockingbirdmedia
lvl.4
United Kingdom

JJB* Posted at 6-22 00:54
so weird all this, i am on android and on .500   works great (as did .400)

so why so many different experiences ??

All i can do is tell it as it is JJB ! not sure why but i flew a few hours on the 0500  firmware and not once could i get the compass orientation to work every was calibrated as i do every flight ! my phone is nowhere near the controller as its sits 12 inch away in a cradle with a long wire so no interference with that ! iphone xr in airplane mode ! i watch is switched off so no interference ! miles from anywhere so no apparent interference, downgraded to FW 0400 everything started to work as usual comapass came back no annoying overspeed warnings.

Only issue i struggle with is that when i put the transmission mode manual regardless of whatever channel i use bearing in mind im miles from anywhere the bars always turn red and i lose signal almost immediately,so tend to fly in auto and it gives me around 900 metres clear line of site  
2020-6-22
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

mockingbirdmedia Posted at 6-22 01:14
All i can do is tell it as it is JJB ! not sure why but i flew a few hours on the 0500  firmware and not once could i get the compass orientation to work every was calibrated as i do every flight ! my phone is nowhere near the controller as its sits 12 inch away in a cradle with a long wire so no interference with that ! iphone xr in airplane mode ! i watch is switched off so no interference ! miles from anywhere so no apparent interference, downgraded to FW 0400 everything started to work as usual comapass came back no annoying overspeed warnings.

Only issue i struggle with is that when i put the transmission mode manual regardless of whatever channel i use bearing in mind im miles from anywhere the bars always turn red and i lose signal almost immediately,so tend to fly in auto and it gives me around 900 metres clear line of site

ofcourse you tell it as it is!   i do not doubt any person on here telling just how it is for them.

As said   if i read about problems with the app than 80% are apple of samsung users.....

Somehow i think tha "SnapDragon" equipped phones are (always) working, well mine devices do work.

cheers
JJB
2020-6-22
Use props
mockingbirdmedia
lvl.4
United Kingdom

JJB* Posted at 6-22 01:31
ofcourse you tell it as it is!   i do not doubt any person on here telling just how it is for them.

As said   if i read about problems with the app than 80% are apple of samsung users.....

Maybe the android devices work better than apple devices who knows?

but there are definately a few people with the same issues.

2020-6-22
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

After I've got this message- I've made re-calibration of phone compass - but still have the same problem.Device gps error while flying
This message refers to the GPS unit in your phone so tinkering with its compass won't do anything.

Unless you are trying to reset your homepoint to the current location of the controller, nothing uses the GPS in your phone anyway so there's nothing to worry about.
2020-6-22
Use props
YevhenUA
lvl.1

Ukraine

Hello! I have the same problem with Mavic Air 2 and Xiaomi Mi9T.
At first, after starting everything works fine. Then at some point I see a flashing red rectangle at the bottom of the screen (the position of the drone relative to the remote control). It does not depend on the place of flight, the problem appeared on the same place where I later flew, and this problem was not. And the problem may appear, or maybe not, this happens by chance.
I also checked iPhone 7, which is on the list of compatible devices, and a red crossed-out rectangle constantly blinked on its screen, during the flight this function never did not work.
In several forums, I found users with the same problem. On the DJI forum I also found users with the same problem with Mavic Air 2 and Mavic Mini. Therefore, it seems to me that the problem is in the DJI Fly application, and not in the devices. I understand that there is nothing to worry about, but I bought drone for $1250 and I want to have maximum useful product with all the working functions. In DJI Fly  there are not many functions that are in DJI Go 4 and even these not all work as they should.
Do I need to buy another compatible phone? But, as we see, in iPhone 7, which is on the list, this function also does not work. Still interesting are the principles for choosing supported models. For example, Xiaomi: MI10, Mi8 , Mi MIX 2S, Mi MIX 2, Redmi Note 5. My phone is newer than two models from the list, but it not compatible.
2020-6-22
Use props
m80116
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

Did you check on some mapping application if the reported North is actually on the South of the map?

I have this problem with my S9+ when somehow no matter how hard I try to calibrate it exactly inverts north with south, and there's nothing I can do about it. After a while, which can be 10 minutes to 30 minutes it reverts back to functioning normally, apparently not tied to device usage or stand-by.
2020-6-22
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hiya,

I did a check on my device ; at start all is functioning OK, than i disable GPS location on my device.
The Aircraft Orientation Indicator turns into a red icon, error message is for gps OR compass.

Can you make a screen recording of the fly app, so we can see what error and what icon is seen in the app ?

cheers
JJB
analysis1.png
2020-6-22
Use props
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

Troubleshooting the compass depends on the device. For iphones location services need to be available. Also check permissions the DJI Fly app has to allow it to access the compass/gps data. Open the compass app and check it is functioning correct, by opening it that calibrates it.
2020-6-22
Use props
Daniella3d
lvl.4
Canada

I did not even know I had a compas in my iphone. Never has such message either.
2020-6-22
Use props
djiuser_A0KpxiEypIpQ
New
Ghana

Setting compass on my iPhone thus not work either
2020-9-18
Use props
djiuser_A0KpxiEypIpQ
New
Ghana

Dji please update the software n include follow me is very essential in fly modes
2020-9-18
Use props
djiuser_A0KpxiEypIpQ
New
Ghana

Mavic mini is almost a yr now just include the follow me feature for more fun
2020-9-18
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules