Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Anyone else having birds attack the mavic mini?
123Next >
17284 94 2020-1-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_mFlKnbqPWr1m
lvl.2
Flight distance : 46207 ft
Australia

Hi,
I live in Australia regional town Central Queensland. I have had so many different types of birds attack my drone and was wondering if anyone else has this problem? An Eagle 5 times bigger then my drone nearly got to it the other day. I have had plovers, Crows & Eagles attacking the drone and its not even swooping season. Is there something I could put on the drone to make them fear from it?

Thank you
2020-1-16
Use props
Dmitry Vishnevskiy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 588635 ft
Russia

Mavic mini too cheap for serious birds. Eagles prefer Phantoms & Mavics Pro
2020-1-16
Use props
TDZHDTV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2068550 ft
United Kingdom

No attack but I had a pigeon almost hit it, clearly it didn’t see it till the last second given the evasive action it took!
2020-1-16
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

About 2 weeks ago I had a hawk come after my MM.  I hand to land the MM to keep the hawk from continue to chase it.  Last week when I flew at the same place it wasn't a problem.  Didn't find out until later that the hawk tried to swoop down and catch a rabbit and ran into the front of a passing truck.  So no more hawk.  I have no idea as to what you could put on your MM to make your predators fear it.
2020-1-16
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 95125112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Had a pigeon swoop and my M2P once, think its a dominance thing.
2020-1-16
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

Yep, I had many birds attacks since I got the mini.
First was a pigeon, I was flying my first "far" shot and when I looked at the drone I saw the pigeon dropping full speed towards the mini, managed to getaway by gaining altitude (birds take time to ascend).

Secondly at a lake, I saw a group of maybe 6 small birds aggressively flying around it trying to push it away, managed to put S Mode and fly fast towards me while ascending. This small birds are known for attacking eagles by getting under their wings...

Third attack or attempt was flying near a cliff, I saw two crows full speed towards the drone dropping from cliff wall... always gained altitude since I read online it gives you some time.

For what I've learned, blue, orange and reflective stickers help, also "eyes", I'm planing to cover the Mini's top with a bright yellow, red and black reflective pattern, those colors in nature means "stay away from me I may be poisonous", not sure if beeping sounds and LED strobes may help too.

All in all, I felt the birds were mainly curious, not really intending to attack, but more saying "oi this is my spot... f..k off" but it makes me scared each time, and is not mating season yet.

Ken Heron has eyes in all his drones, he sells them in his site, I think a red and yellow circle may be more effective, this design is used to keep birds away from fruit trees.

2020-1-16
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

I kind of like the yellow circle with red and black eyes.  Just looks mean.  LOL
2020-1-16
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

DowntownRDB Posted at 1-16 05:39
I kind of like the yellow circle with red and black eyes.  Just looks mean.  LOL

Yeah the top one isn't it?
I like that one too, I think those are the most used ones around, they do look mean indeed!
Ill have to see a nice way to use them in the mini, sticking over the case doesn't appeal to me.
2020-1-16
Use props
Mugsie
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1187005 ft
United States

In dallas, texas, USA. I have had hawks come at the mini and mavic pro 2. When they get close to the drone they fly off. I think they realize when they are close that its not a bird. Since the couple attempts. I have flown in the same area. The same hawks remember its not a bird and cease trying to attack it. It is definitely interesting how they will approach the drone and think its a meal. I have had many bees get close too to both drones, but, the props just dice them up. In the same area, the ducks and seagulls  used to be scared of the drones and they take off. Not anymore, they are not scared of the drones. But, if you too close they just move away.
2020-1-16
Use props
Charles Adams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Not the Mavic Mini (which I've not flown on the lake yet), but I did with the Spark.  I was flying off my boat.  In a short amount of time there was one mud sparrow dive bombing my Spark.  Then 10, then 100.  I brought it in for a landing as quick as I could, and fortunately made it back safely.  Ever since that day, I've quipped that it's not the FAA that rules the skies, it's the d@mn birds!
2020-1-16
Use props
Wiz33
lvl.4
Flight distance : 35994 ft
  • >>>
United States

Not exactly an attack but the flock of pigeons won't leave my Mini alone

2020-1-16
Use props
luca6686
lvl.4
Flight distance : 531841 ft
Italy

Hi everyone, same problem for me, many times I've got pigeons around my mini and it seems they are angry with him.

When it append I'm to scared to fly
2020-1-16
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

Charles Adams Posted at 1-16 07:45
Not the Mavic Mini (which I've not flown on the lake yet), but I did with the Spark.  I was flying off my boat.  In a short amount of time there was one mud sparrow dive bombing my Spark.  Then 10, then 100.  I brought it in for a landing as quick as I could, and fortunately made it back safely.  Ever since that day, I've quipped that it's not the FAA that rules the skies, it's the d@mn birds!

lol they really team up don't they?
Like I said in another thread, Birds have been there way before the mini did
2020-1-16
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

Mugsie Posted at 1-16 07:40
In dallas, texas, USA. I have had hawks come at the mini and mavic pro 2. When they get close to the drone they fly off. I think they realize when they are close that its not a bird. Since the couple attempts. I have flown in the same area. The same hawks remember its not a bird and cease trying to attack it. It is definitely interesting how they will approach the drone and think its a meal. I have had many bees get close too to both drones, but, the props just dice them up. In the same area, the ducks and seagulls  used to be scared of the drones and they take off. Not anymore, they are not scared of the drones. But, if you too close they just move away.

That's what I noticed too, first time is more interest to see if it's food or a threat, once they know they seem to loose interest.
2020-1-16
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

Wiz33 Posted at 1-16 08:20
Not exactly an attack but the flock of pigeons won't leave my Mini alone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy6GjGrwurU&t=

Very cool video, saw it the other day, I also noticed they were close!
I think they are kindly telling you, the robot is ours!
2020-1-16
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

Not sure if I would call this psychedelic or... tacky lol but it may work!
However it may just scare anybody close to it, even human lol

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07LC2 ... 3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl
2020-1-16
Use props
Wiz33
lvl.4
Flight distance : 35994 ft
  • >>>
United States

InspektorGadjet Posted at 1-16 08:41
Not sure if I would call this psychedelic or... tacky lol but it may work!
However it may just scare anybody close to it, even human lol

Interesting. May have to put a couple small strips on the Mini
2020-1-16
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

luca6686 Posted at 1-16 08:28
Hi everyone, same problem for me, many times I've got pigeons around my mini and it seems they are angry with him.

When it append I'm to scared to fly

Pigeons seem very agresive and territorial, and since they are roughly same size than mini they may see it as an opponent, but maybe they just find the mini sexy!
2020-1-16
Use props
m80116
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

Yeap... noticed already: pigeons tend to be really keen on the Mini.

We need to ready our defense strategy (fly away) and probably use some marks on the body that scare them off.
2020-1-16
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Charles Adams Posted at 1-16 07:45
Not the Mavic Mini (which I've not flown on the lake yet), but I did with the Spark.  I was flying off my boat.  In a short amount of time there was one mud sparrow dive bombing my Spark.  Then 10, then 100.  I brought it in for a landing as quick as I could, and fortunately made it back safely.  Ever since that day, I've quipped that it's not the FAA that rules the skies, it's the d@mn birds!

"Ever since that day, I've quipped that it's not the FAA that rules the skies, it's the d@mn birds!"

So very true.  But like InspektorGadget pointed out....the birds were here before the drones.

I'm going to see if a strobe light has any effect.  I doubt it but at least I'm going to try it.
2020-1-16
Use props
BobWinNV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 284209 ft
  • >>>
United States

I had a humming bird come up to my Mavic Mini one time and it just hovered looking at the Mini like "What is the big deal? I can hover too."  Then it made a quick dash out of sight like "try and catch me".
Show off.
2020-1-16
Use props
Beeworld
lvl.4
Flight distance : 190259 ft
Australia

I'm in Melbourne and have had many, many bird attacks .... magpies, pigeons,, lorikeets, crows etc. Wedgetail eagles will attack quads and fixedwing craft, and will win. Many of these birds are predators, with the wedgetail being an apex predator - I basically land as soon as possible and look for an alternate location! Prior to my Mavic Pro I had a Partot Bebop 2 actually taken out of the sky!

2020-1-17
Use props
69th Drone Det.
lvl.1
United States

Hi  : ) I live in Colorado, in an area with lots of raptors. It seems the ospreys are most interested in my MM (perhaps because of the coloring).  I notice hawks swoop by but don't try to attack, and eagles generally ignore it. Thinking of painting mine like an osprey, to see if that makes a difference.
2020-1-17
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing these information. Birds are part of our environment and I'm sure they're not familiar to the drones that is why they react aggressively when they notice it. Hope you'll get the best feedback from our DJI co pilots regarding there experiences and recommendation on this matter to prevent any issues and troubles in the future. Thank you.
2020-1-17
Use props
Sys_Admin
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1094311 ft
United Kingdom

I had a swarm of birds from 500m away fly in just to attack the drone. Nearly took it out. Now I try to keep away from any birds but they sure do try to attack quite often!
2020-1-17
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

We have a lot of three kinds of birds here in Florida: Eagles, ospreys....and pelicans. I haven't seen any eagles or ospreys just yet coming near the Mini. But I have seen a lot of pelicans coming close by as they glide quickly just over the water. Usually they are just looking for small fish to dive on. They don't seem aggressive, just slightly startled to see another "bird" that doesn't yield the "right of way" ;-)
2020-1-17
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very brief video, not exciting ;-)
2020-1-17
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

GaryDoug Posted at 1-17 20:57
Very brief video, not exciting ;-)
https://youtu.be/MfpTVXH9k1I

Pelicans are massive!
Hopefully they won't try to eat the mini lol
2020-1-18
Use props
m80116
lvl.4
Italy

I've made a skin to discourage bird attacks and I called it CAMO birdstrike.

The template I used is the PDF one found in this forum, exported to PS @200 dpi, it is meant to be printed w/o scaling on A4 paper. The base is a camouflage pattern to which I applied a gradient filter in PS, I am not sure if this will be enough to prevent at least some bird pecking but worth trying.

Unfortunately after printing and test fitting the first sticker my Canon MG5750 completely clogged while loading the second sheet and started to do some horrible griding noises.

I manage to free my printer (unscathed) and decided not to test out more, my adhesive sheets were meant for label not graphics, are quite creased and the MG5750 loading mechanism is not very good, should I try again I need to remove the stock A4 plain paper from the loading tray and increase the print head to media distance in the driver.

Unfortuntaly I crumpled up my first test sticker before I could print the new so I haven't taken a picture of my Mini with it on, but it was fitting pretty good despite the sub-optimal media.
DJI Mavic Mini - m80's camo birdstrike.jpg
2020-1-18
Use props
Bob-Mavic Pro Platinum
lvl.4
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

djiuser_mFlKnbqPW, might go to the auto parts store and get the red/silver reflective tape, put a few small pieces here and there on the drone, and see what happens.  Have been told birds do not care for reflecting things.
2020-1-19
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

I had birds orbiting the Spark when I was landing.  And one or more were trying to kick it but they were pretty much the same size as it.  With the other bigger drones, I don't think there was any issue.  There is blood on the props which cause prop imbalance that I had to eventually clear as the jello was getting so bad on the P4PV2.0.  I assumed it was from mosquitos or such but it could've been from birds.
2020-1-19
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

m80116 Posted at 1-18 05:15

The template I used is the PDF one found in this forum, exported to PS @200 dpi, it is meant to be printed w/o scaling on A4 paper. The base is a camouflage pattern to which I applied a gradient filter in PS, I am not sure if this will be enough to prevent at least some bird pecking but worth trying.

Cool idea!
Maybe using some reflecting adhesive paper would improve the effect...
Glitter does something to birds since most sold things around are either eyes, or shinny colorful things that move with the air...
2020-1-20
Use props
m80116
lvl.4
Italy

I am still in a transitional period but when I'll be settled with my replacement Mini (and have time to spare) I plan on ordering vinyl photo paper and buy this template model:

https://ashlandaerial.com/shop/d ... -template-cut-file/

I could probably make one myself but it'd be a slow and painful process... and I don't believe I wanna do it, MM experience should fun and hassle free.

I'd like to make e mixed wrap, a marker colour like brilliant orange should be on the bottom (for better spotting in flight) and partly on the top to go along with the theme, the base can be printed vinyl paper or some other vinyl wrap.

I like ready made wraps but from theTotal w/ shipping cost I have to almost double for VAT + duties + custom clearance then wait patiently for months.... just no. Gonna make my own
2020-1-20
Use props
Cal Evans
lvl.4
Flight distance : 85673 ft
United States

InspektorGadjet Posted at 1-16 05:03
Yep, I had many birds attacks since I got the mini.
First was a pigeon, I was flying my first "far" shot and when I looked at the drone I saw the pigeon dropping full speed towards the mini, managed to getaway by gaining altitude (birds take time to ascend).

Oh those are awesome. Got a link to Ken's site?

Cheers!
=C=
2020-1-20
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

Cal Evans Posted at 1-20 16:12
Oh those are awesome. Got a link to Ken's site?

Cheers!

Hi those I posted aren't the ones Ken sells but anyway, here is a link to hi site.
The eyes are at the bottom of the page:
http://www.heronaerialphotograph ... photography-tshirts
2020-1-21
Use props
Cal Evans
lvl.4
Flight distance : 85673 ft
United States

InspektorGadjet Posted at 1-21 01:39
Hi those I posted aren't the ones Ken sells but anyway, here is a link to hi site.
The eyes are at the bottom of the page:
http://www.heronaerialphotography.com/heron-aerial-photography-tshirts

Thanks!

Checking them out now.

Cheers!
=C=
2020-1-21
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

Cal Evans Posted at 1-21 04:38
Thanks!

Checking them out now.

You are very welcome!
2020-1-21
Use props
Jayrez15
lvl.1
Flight distance : 97723 ft
United States

Im sticking a punisher sticker on mine, just so the birds know who they are dealing with
2020-1-31
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

Jayrez15 Posted at 1-31 21:28
Im sticking a punisher sticker on mine, just so the birds know who they are dealing with

Not sure if they have read the comics lol
2020-2-1
Use props
djiuser_waHk8wUyK6XF
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1138 ft

Philippines

m80116 Posted at 1-18 05:15

The template I used is the PDF one found in this forum, exported to PS @200 dpi, it is meant to be printed w/o scaling on A4 paper. The base is a camouflage pattern to which I applied a gradient filter in PS, I am not sure if this will be enough to prevent at least some bird pecking but worth trying.
[Image]

May i know what sizes of this to put on printer ?
2020-2-23
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules