Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Open source the Robomaster S1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
LTrain
lvl.1
Flight distance : 91919 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hey DJI, clearly the Robomaster S1 isn't a priority from a tools and development standpoint for you. This makes sense you probably sell more Mavic Minis in a couple of days than Robomasters in a quarter. How about open sourcing the Robomaster platform and allow the community to do the work you you can't/won't?   

Let us take the platform forward and help it to reach it's potential.

2020-1-16
Use props
BGA
Captain
United States

It is not that I would not be in favor of it being open sourced, but bI wonder where you get the idea that it "isn't a priority from a tools and development standpoint". Even if it is not the changes that i would like, there has been steady updates every month either to the app, firmware or both.
2020-1-16
Use props
LTrain
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

BGA Posted at 1-16 09:57
It is not that I would not be in favor of it being open sourced, but bI wonder where you get the idea that it "isn't a priority from a tools and development standpoint". Even if it is not the changes that i would like, there has been steady updates every month either to the app, firmware or both.

I stepped away from looking at this device for a few months to coach kids robotics. Now that I've returned I'm finding there's still no documentation for Python, certain functionality like using the IR blaster isn't available in blocks, there's no protocol documentation for the IR blaster or the receivers, no ability to author/create custom game types, etc etc.

I'm not saying there's zero support, but given the speed at which DJI delivers new products - if this were more of a priority it would be reflected in the strength of the dev tools which I think should be better developed and documented at this point. I gave them a pass when the device launched - but now it feels like the effort has limited resources. The assigned team is doing what they can - but I'm guessing they have an unachievable backlog of tasks.

So I think they should just open source it and let the community get the most out of the device.
2020-1-16
Use props
BGA
Captain
United States

LTrain Posted at 1-16 10:38
I stepped away from looking at this device for a few months to coach kids robotics. Now that I've returned I'm finding there's still no documentation for Python, certain functionality like using the IR blaster isn't available in blocks, there's no protocol documentation for the IR blaster or the receivers, no ability to author/create custom game types, etc etc.

I'm not saying there's zero support, but given the speed at which DJI delivers new products - if this were more of a priority it would be reflected in the strength of the dev tools which I think should be better developed and documented at this point. I gave them a pass when the device launched - but now it feels like the effort has limited resources. The assigned team is doing what they can - but I'm guessing they have an unachievable backlog of tasks.

Wait, there is documentation for python. It is in the same programming guide as the Scratch stuff. At the end of the description of each block, the Python equivalents are listed. Were you expecting something more? If so, what?

You can still use the IR blaster by using the program as a skill and simply firing when the selected mode is IR (as opposed to gel beads). But yes, it is true that there is no support whatsoever for detecting IR hits (not for now anyway).

Everything else sounds circumstantial. The only way to evaluate if enough resources are being dedicated to it or not are to know what are the main objectives DJI has with the S1. Without that specific information, it is very difficult to come up with any solid conclusion.

All that being said, I am also not happy with the speed features are showing up. I just not make any assumptions. I also not waiting for DJI and I am doing my own thing. More hands would definitely help in case you would be willing to step-up (and have programming experience).
2020-1-16
Use props
LTrain
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

BGA Posted at 1-16 10:48
Wait, there is documentation for python. It is in the same programming guide as the Scratch stuff. At the end of the description of each block, the Python equivalents are listed. Were you expecting something more? If so, what?

You can still use the IR blaster by using the program as a skill and simply firing when the selected mode is IR (as opposed to gel beads). But yes, it is true that there is no support whatsoever for detecting IR hits (not for now anyway).

Doh I didn't see the python sections on my phone. (I should have kept scrolling) Pilot error, glad it's there.
I was playing around with the IR blaster last night and it still wasn't working using the fire/auto functions. It still defaulted to projectiles only. But I'll go back and change it.

The other examples are just the things that immediately came to mind. And to be clear what I'm saying is I'm not willing to wait for DJI either - give me the tools and I'll do it. And I'm absolutely willing to help which is why I'm trying to get up to speed on the current state of the union.
2020-1-16
Use props
rhoude57 - YUL
Second Officer
Canada

BGA Posted at 1-16 09:57

Not sure I agree with some of what you say...
From my observation, DJI is on a 6-month Major SW Release cycle and aperiodic Minor releases for the RoboMaster S1.
The last Major release was in November, in which we were given the Conquest Mode challenge and enhanced Audio features, and the next Major release should be in June 2020.
2020-1-17
Use props
BGA
Captain
United States

rhoude57 - YUL Posted at 1-17 09:29
Not sure I agree with some of what you say...
From my observation, DJI is on a 6-month Major SW Release cycle and aperiodic Minor releases for the RoboMaster S1.
The last Major release was in November, in which we were given the Conquest Mode challenge and enhanced Audio features, and the next Major release should be in June 2020.

I am not sure about what you classify as a major release or not, but I am not aware of any products whatsoever that has anything that can be called a major release every month. What I said is that DJI is on a steady monthly release of Robomaster updates and that is easy to prove (there has been a new app release. which sometimes included new firmware releases, every month since I bought my S1).
2020-1-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules