Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
RTH height question
696 6 2020-1-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FireballXL5
lvl.3
Flight distance : 232562 ft
United States

First off:  I just found out that my Mini will be delivered on Wednesday.  Yeah!  I have read the manual a few times so I think I have some understanding how the drone/software/controller work.

Having said that, I do have a question about the RTH height.  Let's say I do my pre-flight check and decide that there is an obstacle in my flight area that I judge to be about 60 feet tall.  I set my RTH alttitude to be 80 feet.  I wait for the RTH point to be set and I start flying around.  After about 5 or 10 minutes of flight I fly over to the obstacle and see that it is really 80 feet high.  Now I change my RTH height to be 100 feet, while still flying.  I then drop down to 50 feet and fly behind the obstacle.  I loose signal and my drone initiates a RTH.  My question is what height will the RTH use the original setting of 80 feet or the ammended setting of 100 feet?

Thanks, Ken ...
2020-1-16
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi Ken,

The last changed setting is used.

Happy many landings,
cheers
JJB
2020-1-16
Use props
FireballXL5
lvl.3
United States

JJB* Posted at 1-16 11:53
Hi Ken,

The last changed setting is used.

Good to know.  Thanks JJB.
2020-1-16
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

make sure you use the latest software only and the last changed setting that was saved will be used.  avoid the issue you mentioned by setting it to 150 feet from the very beginning (in most cases).
2020-1-16
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Also wait for a strong Gps signal before take off and avoid any significant wind. Enjoy...
2020-1-16
Use props
deathsquad
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Also worth noting that if you lose signal for whatever reason, once it starts RTH it eventually appears on your app again once the issue is resolved. You can then take back the controls and fly back safely or carry on with your flight. Relying on RTH is a bit of a risk. Especially in areas with obstacles like trees etc. It's good as a fail safe but I think it's something that should only be used in emergencies. Some people use it to return to them. There's no obstacle avoidance with the mini. I much prefer controlling the return myself.
2020-1-16
Use props
FireballXL5
lvl.3
United States

I would have to agree with all the helpful tips given.  Thanks.
2020-1-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules